removing the shift lever for powder coating

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to have my rear sets powder coated and I am having some trouble I hope someone can help me with. On the inside rear of the gear shift lever there is a ball/socket joint which connects the lever to the shifting rod. This ball/socket joint has a rubber boot on it which means it is going to need to be removed before powder coating. Problem is, I cannot figure out how to remove this from the shift lever. There are no nuts/bolts/screws. I initially thought it would just slide out of the hole in the shift lever. However, I can not get it to move, even with a hammer and punch. Does anyone know how to remove this?

H

HavBlue

Typically the ball is held into the retaining socket with a spring clip that must be expanded to pop the ball out. You may have to restrain the lever in a manner that will allow you to use a fork or two larger flat blade screwdrivers to pop the swivel off the ball. The same holds true for mounting the gas struts for hold up a hood (bonnet) or rear hatch (boot).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume you are going to need to tape out the ball part anyway, right? Can you just tape the whole thing out and not need to take it apart?

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone figure out this issue yet? I also am trying to separate these.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you just pull the rubber boot off (spray a bunch of siliconr/lubricant to help) and then tape off what you don't want powder coated? I just looked at my 07 and I don't have a rubber boot on the lower end of the shaft(there is one up top).

My friends last triumph had a loose shifter (same joint as yours). The fix, from the factory, was just the joint, it was beaten out and then back in with a hammer and slightly peened over... I suspect the Yamaha is also press fit..

Scott

Last edited: