Removing the top triple clamp

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm installing helibar clipons UNDER the top triple, and I want to know if it's just as simple as removing the bolts/loosening the ones keeping the the clamps on either side to the forks ..and then pulling it upward and having it slide off. I don't need to actually remove any wiring because the triple will never be far enough away for the ignition to be pulled on.. just need it off the fork tubes for 10 minutes.

Is this even possible without a bunch of complicated/annoying 'safety bolt' breakage on the ignition? Like can I just slide it all off together without the ignition being moved? Or will that have to come off too? Looking at the OEM diagram for the triple, it appears the ignition is just something that slips through a little ( O ) in the triple like the forks, so it should remain unmoved, yes? Or is that being held up by the triple?

basically - I want to know if this is something that someone mechanically naive(but logical and capable ..and not retarded) is going to be able to do. They are called "clip-ons" for a reason, and I think removing the throttle/grips/levers is something anyone can handle, and just switching it over to the new bars.. shouldn't be a huge deal.

Finally found a set of clipons that work.. now it's time to do the work.

Last edited:
I have done it before. As well as loosening the clamp bolts, you will also need to remove the top nut from the steering stem before the top triple will come off. I replaced head bearings on an 04 without removing any cables, grips, or whatnot. Just remove the handlebars from the top triple to have room to move the top triple upwards.

I'm installing helibar clipons UNDER the top triple, and I want to know if it's just as simple as removing the bolts/loosening the ones keeping the the clamps on either side to the forks ..and then pulling it upward and having it slide off. I don't need to actually remove any wiring because the triple will never be far enough away for the ignition to be pulled on.. just need it off the fork tubes for 10 minutes.

Is this even possible without a bunch of complicated/annoying 'safety bolt' breakage on the ignition? Like can I just slide it all off together without the ignition being moved? Or will that have to come off too? Looking at the OEM diagram for the triple, it appears the ignition is just something that slips through a little ( O ) in the triple like the forks, so it should remain unmoved, yes? Or is that being held up by the triple?

basically - I want to know if this is something that someone mechanically naive(but logical and capable ..and not retarded) is going to be able to do. They are called "clip-ons" for a reason, and I think removing the throttle/grips/levers is something anyone can handle, and just switching it over to the new bars.. shouldn't be a huge deal.

Finally found a set of clipons that work.. now it's time to do the work.

I'd suggest loosening both triples, and sliding the fork legs 'down' out of the upper... slide on your clip on mounts, and then slide the tubes back into place.

If you go this route, you will be far enough into it to service the fork. Swap out the fluid, potentially upgrade the fork springs. It's also helpful to re-align the fork legs.

I would not be really excited about removing the top clamp, unless I was intending to replace the steering neck bearings.....

Make sure you get the load off the front end too.

Use the centerstand if equipped, a sizzor jack (with a block of wood) under the header and raise it just enough that the front tire is touching the ground.

It'll help with everything lining back up easily.

If you have a garage, what I do, is run a set of MC tie downs to the handlebars and hook to the ceiling (I have a hook tied into a roof rafter). use the adjusters to help raise and just hold the bars (if you don't have an extra set of hands).

Back