Replacing Headlight Connectors- Dual headlight mod

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
While creating the wire for the bd43 dual headlight mod, I found that the flag connnector needed in the headlight socket is impossible to find locally (can't find the right size). I didn't want to wait for ordering one, and was able to find another solution at autozone/advance auto parts. See the attached pictures. I just replaced the whole socket which was 3-wire. The package came with 2, so I did both sides and they turned out much better than I expected. I think they look better than stock. The only downside is they are $12 and require extra work soldering. It may not equal bd43's cable, but it works for the impatient folks like myself.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing with mine, though the store I found them at sold them as singles.

I gotta say, I was less than happy with the quality of them as far as the wiring in the plug itself. The terminals have a lot of play inside the plug housing, and I have to be careful connecting it to make sure all 3 get on the bulb terminals correctly, not jacked to the side of the female terminal. But hey, it works, and it's quick and easy, since next to no one can get the correct 5/16" flag connector. I'll have to check my Napa Random Stuff book at the shop and see if they happen to carry them.

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
flag connectors and standard female spade connectors are actually the same, the only difference is how the metal on the wire receiving end is rolled.

Radioshack has the 90 degree flag connectors, but like all insulated terminals they are 10 times the price of the non insulated terminals, still if you need them asap get them from there and take a razor to the plastic insulation (so it fits).

If you have standard spade connectors and some patience you can convert them into flag connectors.

Take a set of thin needle nose pliers and hold the bottom of the wire receiving end. With a thin flat head screw driver open up the split. Once enough of the split is accessible for a thicker plier to grab it then grab it and bend it out. Don't worry about getting it flat just yet.

Once it's open enough you can use either a long needle nose plier or a vice to flatten it out completely.

Using some tin snips or a set of dykes (I am talking about wire cutters, not two lesbiens, although the latter might be more fun). Cut the outside edges off, about 2mm worth on each side.

Now for the hard part, you want to roll the metal upwards. You need a firm but thin round object, either a thick paperclip or maybe the base of a lollipop or a small drill bit.

clamp one of the above to the base of the terminal with a pair of locking plier and carefully wrap the terminal around it. Don't worry if it's not perfect, you'll be using a pair of crimpers to complete the job anyway.

Voila, you turned a regular spade connector into a flag connector. I've done it numerous times and never had an issue. But I order my connectors in 100 packs.