Rider Size?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5'10" 240lbs 35x32 pant size and i love the bike, it is very comfortable and who cares what anyone else thinks i look like on it!!! it moves me around very well!!!

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5-6 and had to trim about 1 inch foam from the seat. The first two weeks with the new bike, I got sick of tip-toeing. After fixing my seat, I am loving life. I have better balance and turning is a blast.

See attached tread from 702sportbikes (VIVA Las Vegas!)

A Las Vegas Sportbike Community • View topic - Tech Tip: How to shave your seat foam

That's strange - because I'm 5ft 5 and can easily touch the floor on both sides. On the left leg, I can easily get the whole ball of my foot on the ground and probably with a little tilt, the whole sole down.

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'4" and about 130 with gear on, and had to have an inch shaved off the foam seat so I could tip-toe with both feet instead of just one. The only time I have a problem is if I have to back it up over an uneven or gravel surface, but so far I've been able to get a helping hand from my hubby. If he's not around, I'll stand beside the bike and walk it.

Oddly enough, the bigest problem for me is getting the bike off the centre stand. It may be because of the lowered seat, but I can sit up there rocking back and forth like a kid on a rocking horse for ages. :eek: I've only succeeded at that once. My solution is to put the side stand down and rock it off the centre stand while standing beside it. Have no problem putting it up on the centre stand though.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'5", 36" inseam and 225 pounds. Best fitting bike I found, with the possible exception of a Honda Interceptor. A friend of mine followed me home and told me I looked much too big for the bike, and I needed a "1200". Of course, this friend's dream bike is a Harley Fat Boy. I explained that in Sportbike Land a "1200" would only be that much smaller for me.

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
MY first bike so I don't know if I qualify for whats a good fit. What I can say is at 5'9" and about 170lbs it feels good. Not sure of my inseam but I am guessing it is around 31". I can flat foot and the bike feels perfect to me. No balance issues.

H

HavBlue

What gets me is all the hub-bub about lowering the bikes for a short rider, WTF??? There are all sorts of short riders 5' to 5'4" riding bikes with a 31" seat height and there's aren't lowered. Go one step further and how about an open class dirt bike with a seat height of 36 to 37". That's 2 to 3 inches over my 34" inseam and I didn't have a problem.

H

HavBlue

Excuuuuuuse me!:wtf:

WTF is this, when you lower a bikes suspension you reduce travel and the bike becomes totally different. Now, there are those that lower for looks and they do tolerate the shortcomings of lowering a bike, which are many. That said, it is not so they can put their feet flat on the ground. If they're so worried about putting their feet flat on the ground why not buy a bike that is low enough to do so as opposed to reinventing the wheel. Learn to ride and you will find your feet or foot does not have to be flat on the ground and even if that rider felt the need to put said foot flat on the ground they might want to learn how to slide off the seat a bit. This as they say is part of riding.......

H

HavBlue

We have a lot of FZ-6 riders who are on the FZ-6 as their first bike.

How often have you ever seen posts whether it be here or on some other forum that suggests folks start small and in doing so take the time to learn. That said, their time will be very well spent learning things like throttle control, clutch control, braking, leaning and that huge list just gets bigger. So, move to the paper, Craig's list, e-Bay and a host of other places where folks are selling bikes that were either way beyond them or scared them to the point they would never get out of a parking lot. This happens every year it seems. Being short and inexperienced is not or shall I say should not be a disadvantage. Rather, it is merely an inconvenience that is quite often used as an excuse not to ride a particular machine or group of machines.

I understand your point however, it's clearly proven on a daily basis that short is no limitation and children who want to ride do adapt in the form of bicycles that are way bigger than they would need. The same holds true for the motorcyclist, they do adapt and ride quite well. Again, why reinvent the wheel as you are only learning to ride the bike in an altered state when the rider could learn just as easily without changing a thing. The answer is quite simply stated as "fear" regardless of it showing up as being afraid to drop the bike or whatever. Getting over that fear is much like anything else when it comes to riding as it takes time and an understanding.

Ras Thavas

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'7", 180lbs, 30" Inseam. I like walks on the beach, romantic dinners....oops, wrong forum ;)

If I am wearing boots I feel pretty comfortable with the bike even though I can't flat foot it. I may get the seat shaved a bit, or get an after market seat. Going to give it a little while before I figure out what to do.