Riding with a Passenger

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't believe it is "my" clutch control.... since on all my other bikes I've never felt such a wild ride with a passenger. I think its the clutch on this bike being so binary. Its either on or off.

Which might be an indication that your clutch is near "end of life" status. It's worse with a passenger due to the load and the additional slip required.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't believe it is "my" clutch control.... since on all my other bikes I've never felt such a wild ride with a passenger. I think its the clutch on this bike being so binary. Its either on or off.

The FZ-07 lower lever is about 10mm's longer and definitely extends the "working range".

I know, I had one on my bike. It was too wide a range for me, couldn't get used to it, but it would definitely help you.

It's a factory part, less than $20.00, takes maybe a half hour going slow to install...

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I surely hope its not my clutch at the end of its life! Unless the previous owner murdered it (Which could be very true). I'll look into the lever, maybe will go for it once I am done dumping some money into my seca.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with the clutch being on and off. Coming from my Ninja 250 which had the most forgiving clutch it required focus to get used to. I never really gave it a chance and swapped out to the FZ07 clutch lever.

Overall that mod did not make a night a day difference but it helped. What did greatly help was lubing the clutch lever and cable. Other than maitnence, if you are not already make sure you are doing your best to rev match. With a passenger on it may better to slip the clutch a bit to avoid jerking. I still havent figured out how to change gears flawlessly with a passenger though...

TKBone

Reaction score
Visit site
Dort you have an little free play on your clutch lever? If not it is possibile that it is slipping a little all the time. This would wear out the clutch in no time.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I did some experimenting this weekend with a passenger. By far, the smoothest shifts (excluding the 1-2 shift) were done without using the clutch at all. In fact, the key to reducing helmet banging is a fast shift. This is especially true of the 1-2 shift. On the 1-2 shift the shift needs to be fast and smooth, with as little intruption as possible to power delivery.

That's my $0.02.

TommyT

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I did some experimenting this weekend with a passenger. By far, the smoothest shifts (excluding the 1-2 shift) were done without using the clutch at all. In fact, the key to reducing helmet banging is a fast shift. This is especially true of the 1-2 shift. On the 1-2 shift the shift needs to be fast and smooth, with as little intruption as possible to power delivery.

That's my $0.02.

What you might be experiencing here is you being a little more cautious while shifting clutchless - i do alot of riding with a passenger and i find unless you're hacking it on the motorway, you really have to adjust the way you accelerate/shift. i second the comment earlier about not shifting while the revs are increasing. pretend you're doing your driving test again and you'll find it might work out. it may also help for your pillion to hold onto you rather than any grab-rails? a good hug around the upper chest (no ****) will secure the passenger better and make you seem like 1 unit rather than 2

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh yea now that I re-read your post I see that part I was missing. I really didn't want to try 1-2 without the clutch.

My passenger usually gives me a very light hug around the stomach.