Road Hazards for bikes

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in my work truck driving on Hwy 20 east of Nevada City, Ca on a beautiful somewhat twisty mountain hwy in the tall pines. As I zoom through a nice posted 35 mph curve (easy 50+ on a bike) when I see a five foot 2x4 in the road at slight angle. Mind you this with the trees your forward vision is somewhat limited.

My first thought was holy lee cow! Would not want to hit that with a bike, the front could wash out real easy on that. :eek:

Spotting a place to pull the truck over but moving to quickly to pull over safely I go up a half mile, flip a u drive pass the 2x4 to where I can turn around again and pull up by the board on the side of the road. Jump out and watch two cars hit it before I can snag it off the road.

This is not the first time I have pulled some sort of a road hazard for bikes off the road while on the bike or in the cage.

It's a jungle out there on two wheels, just trying to bank some good motorcycle karma where I can.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Doug! Yup I've done the same thing with tubes of industrial adhesive that must have been thrown off a truck because I can't think of how the bounce out of the truck or car...
Same with big rocks..:eek:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man I got off the 5 south at crown valley today and what do you know little piggy waiting to spot me comes behind me
As I get off the highway he passes me
In the off ramp as I down shift but he flies past 3 cones on the off ramp about 15 feet from the light , well I park my
Bike behind him and grab the 3 cones and place them off in the shrubs , cops don't clear roads ..... Weird guess I'll do it

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Full respect for you guys looking out for others - it's a principle I believe in very strongly.

When I was but a boy, my Mum said to me "Do unto others my son, as you would have them doeth unto you" and that's a principle that holds firm in my life.

If I think I would like it, I will do it for others.

Call it karma, call it fear of the great mystical rainbow unicorn in the sky, but I see it that I don't NEED to buy favour with my past deed, it's just the right thing to do.

Cheers,
Rick

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a sheep run out at me once going down a normal looking semi-residential road. Luckily I was only going about 30mph, but it went close enough to me that I could have stroked it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a sheep run out at me once going down a normal looking semi-residential road. Luckily I was only going about 30mph, but it went close enough to me that I could have stroked it.

See, if you lived in Cali this would have never happened. Doug would have removed the sheep before you got there :rof:

Awesome of all of you to be kind like that and think of others! :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in my work truck driving on Hwy 20 east of Nevada City, Ca on a beautiful somewhat twisty mountain hwy in the tall pines. As I zoom through a nice posted 35 mph curve (easy 50+ on a bike) when I see a five foot 2x4 in the road at slight angle. Mind you this with the trees your forward vision is somewhat limited.

My first thought was holy lee cow! Would not want to hit that with a bike, the front could wash out real easy on that. :eek:

Spotting a place to pull the truck over but moving to quickly to pull over safely I go up a half mile, flip a u drive pass the 2x4 to where I can turn around again and pull up by the board on the side of the road. Jump out and watch two cars hit it before I can snag it off the road.

This is not the first time I have pulled some sort of a road hazard for bikes off the road while on the bike or in the cage.

It's a jungle out there on two wheels, just trying to bank some good motorcycle karma where I can.

Good on ya man!!! I cant say i have ever removed anything from the road that wasnt put there by me (picking something up that fell off my truck or what not), but i have "tried" to fill in a few pot holes on this one road not to far from my house a couple years back. Theres a little cut through road that i take alot and on one turn there were about 4-5 pot holes, 2 of them being huge and no real way to avoid all of them with out venturing into the oposite lane. So i filled up a couple 5 gal buckets with some "crush and run" and some good ole Georgia Clay, threw them in my truck and rode out there late one night. I had just finished packing in the 1st one when i saw headlights coming on, so i steped off to the side of the road and what do you know it was a cop. Of course he was curious as to know just what i was doing out in the middle of the night standing on the side of the road with a shovel and a tamp, so he turned around and asked. I explained to him what i was doing and he looked at me like i was crazy and told me that i cant do it. We ended up talking for a while but still wouldnt let me finish, he was cool about it all but he wasnt sure on the "legality" of what i was doing. I ended up just driving back home but about 3 days later i rode by and there was a road crew out there filling them in the right way. So in the end it all worked out.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i hit up the twisties in bear mtn all the time and i know theres a ton of gravel or down trees on the roads after any type of rain or storm. i usually go really early in the morning and bring a foldable broom w/ me or use a tree branch and sweep most of the crap off the road. i get a lot of weird looks from people in cars passing by but i get a lot of thumbs up from bikers passing too..hope its good karma for me:thumbup:

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
i hit up the twisties in bear mtn all the time and i know theres a ton of gravel or down trees on the roads after any type of rain or storm. i usually go really early in the morning and bring a foldable broom w/ me or use a tree branch and sweep most of the crap off the road. i get a lot of weird looks from people in cars passing by but i get a lot of thumbs up from bikers passing too..hope its good karma for me:thumbup:

You don't say ... :BLAA:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, that's my 2-4. Give it back (stupid joke, need icon). Yeah, pisses me off people losing stuff like that on the roadway. Ladders are always being reported by traffic reports about the roadway conditions. Years ago, almost got smashed by one of those flying right by me. Secure that stuff down and but good!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, that's my 2-4. Give it back (stupid joke, need icon). Yeah, pisses me off people losing stuff like that on the roadway. Ladders are always being reported by traffic reports about the roadway conditions. Years ago, almost got smashed by one of those flying right by me. Secure that stuff down and but good!

Yeah, I Always try to make sure EVERYTHING is secure but still sometimes straps break or something else. I actually lost a entire trailer once! I should have never pulled it to begin with, a old uhaul hitch that can adjust to different ball sizes and no safety chains, but it was the only option to get my quad where i wanted it at the time. But since then I double and triple check everything.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Then of course there is the biggest Hazard of all CARS Mainly not indicating :eek:

080830-bmw-recall3b.jpg