Running rough, like on 3 cylinders

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

My 2006 FZ6 has been running rough for about 2 months. I searched the Forum and hoped I just had some bad gas. She has just over 7K miles. I took her out for a little jaunt and she was running more rough. I stopped by the only Yamaha/Honda Dealer around and inquired at the Service Desk what my problem might be. The Service Manager listened and a tech was nearby and asked the SM if it was okay to take a quick look. The SM said okay and the tech came out, started the bike, listened carefully, drove the bike around the parking lot and said wait here. He came back with an infrared heat monitor and checked the temperature for each exhaust cylinder. My number 3 cylinder was way lower than the others. He theorized the plug may be fouled but I should make an appointment so they could thoroughly check out the bike.

I did some more research on our Forum and the web. I thought it would be an easy check to just replace the plugs. I ordered Iridium plugs, mainly because they were cheaper than OEM. I saw a video on how to "easily" replace the plugs. Plugs 4,3 and 2 were easy. But 1 was a PITA!!! removing and replacing! But I got them all replaced. I started the bike and yay, my FZ6 was back to her old self! She ran great, like on all 4 cylinders.

I'm posting in case someone has a similar issue. But it's always good to be frugal and save some $$ if you can do it yourself.

For those of you in the Chicago area, the dealer I stopped at was DuPage Honda/Yamaha, at North Avenue and County Farm Road.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! Plugs can fail for a number of reasons. Could you post a picture of the plug that failed?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to keep in mind is that even NEW parts can fail and induce a problem where there wasn't one and/or not correct the issue you went after. Granted it is rare, but these things happen!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
How is your battery? With a really lame charging system when the battery gets weak the bike will start running poorly much like you described about 3 cylinders not 4

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How is your battery? With a really lame charging system when the battery gets weak the bike will start running poorly much like you described about 3 cylinders not 4

I had to replace the battery at the start of this riding season. It was the original battery but it wouldn't start the bike or recharge.

The bike is 9 years old so I suspect it was just time. I bought the bike with low miles, 5xxx and I'm just pushing 72xx. So the miles are low but the age of the bike is old. It's probably time to do the 8K maintenance.