Saturn/Opel Astra

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, so I could be way off here, but I thought that the Toyota Matrix is built on the Corolla platform?

I think it is, maybe like the way the Highlander is based off the Sienna van which is based off the Camry. I like the looks of the Matrix, but I found most to be under powered for anything other than city use. The Matrix XRS was powerful, but with the weird gearing, it was hard keeping the motor in the powerband (above 7k rpms). You would hit redline in 1st(8100 rpm) then shift to 2nd and the revs fell to 6200 rpm, and it seemed like it took forever to get back to 7000 rpm again. That and the Matrix is not exactly cheap either.

Hatchbacks rule, but most Americans would not know clever packaing if it hit them upside the head.:D Just ask Mazda how sucessful the 6 was in hatchback and wagon form!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me too!!

As for snow? I guess they would be as good as any other 3000 lb car with all season tires.

Keira's Accord is awesome in the snow, but my Nissan Sentra is the worst thing i have ever driven in the snow. i get stuck in flat parking lots after they have been plowed...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keira's Accord is awesome in the snow, but my Nissan Sentra is the worst thing i have ever driven in the snow. i get stuck in flat parking lots after they have been plowed...

Tires? Winter tires are really worth it, I hear. Extra $400-$500 for a few years worth depending on how much you drive, and switch the tires out before and after the season. May justify getting a cheaper car that's "not as good in the snow". IDK, just a thought.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tires? Winter tires are really worth it, I hear. Extra $400-$500 for a few years worth depending on how much you drive, and switch the tires out before and after the season. May justify getting a cheaper car that's "not as good in the snow". IDK, just a thought.

bought some brand new tires and it is just as bad. Luckily enough i have a blown engine in the sentra right now, so i didn't have to drive it all winter...

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
May justify getting a cheaper car that's "not as good in the snow". IDK, just a thought.

We're trying to get rid of cars, not add more! We already have 5 between the two of us, plus our two bikes. Our driveway is not that big!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on snow tires. "All season" tires are sold nationwide, and if you get snow, your idea of "all season" is a lot different than our friends south of the Mason-Dixon line buying the same tire. Snows not only have a very different tread pattern, they're made of a much softer compound, which is why they usually don't have tread-wear warranties. An all-season with a high tread-wear warranty is so hard, especially in sub-freezing temps, they can't grip nearly as well. Snows are highly recommended, with a little one.

Speaking of which, consider this: in addition to testing the driving/passenger positions, bring along the car seat. That will allow you to see how it fits, and more importantly, how you fit. Put it in the middle of the back seat, and then crawl in and lean over it...imagine trying to gently scoop up a 10-15lb. child in that awkward position without throwing out your back, or waking up the child, and somehow backing out of there. Now imagine doing that little contortionist act several times a day for years. A vehicle whose rear doors don't open as far as they should, or maybe have a low roofline over the door etc. may quickly get downgraded on your list.

Now picture yourself standing next to a minivan, with a chunk of the side wall rolled completely out of the way, lifting out a squirming kid while standing up straight with the child at chest-level. I'm just sayin'.... ;)

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're trying to get rid of cars, not add more! We already have 5 between the two of us, plus our two bikes. Our driveway is not that big!

You need to sell some then.

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to consolodate. I guess I didn't say what I meant. A decent car for the summer and you can put winter tires on it and still get around in the winter = 1 car.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
How come some of you compare the Astra with the Yaris?? The Yaris is way smaller. Another claim that I really have to dismiss, is that the Mazda 3 supposedly is larger. That's bs. Actually, japanese cars are very popular in Norway due to some things I still don't get, and it crawls with Mazdas here. I see them probably 100 times a day, and no one can tell me that it's noticably larger than the Astra. I actually find it smaller. Oh, and you can't get it as a station wagon. At least not in northern Europe. My car seems to be somewhere between the Mazda 3 and 6, yet probably closer to the 3.

Winter tyres: Nokian Hakka 5. No need to say anything further. It beats the heck out of any other brand I've tried (and I have had at least 10-11 different sets of winter tires, with and without nails/dubs whatever you call it) Both on solid ice, deep snow, slush, wet and dry tarmac. It's Finnish, made for northern circumstances (in other words harsh winters). The only drawback with them, is that they seldom last more than two, three seasons, depending on how much asphalt you're driving on.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't have time to read all the posts, but I'll give you my $.02 as a car buff. Astra is a great car and has enough pep with a stick shift. The only other competitor that comes close to it is the Golf/Rabbit. Personally, I think the Golf is an even better car. The Versa and the fit are a different class of cars. I have snow tires - you must get snow tires! makes a world of a difference and is much better for braking and handling (not to mention acceleration if you don't have 4wd). I have them for both cars and they extend the regular tire's life, so don't cost more at the end. Just a hassle. I already have them premounted on steel wheels and I take the alloy wheels/regular tires off.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
How come some of you compare the Astra with the Yaris?? The Yaris is way smaller. Another claim that I really have to dismiss, is that the Mazda 3 supposedly is larger. That's bs. Actually, japanese cars are very popular in Norway due to some things I still don't get, and it crawls with Mazdas here. I see them probably 100 times a day, and no one can tell me that it's noticably larger than the Astra. I actually find it smaller. Oh, and you can't get it as a station wagon. At least not in northern Europe. My car seems to be somewhere between the Mazda 3 and 6, yet probably closer to the 3.

Winter tyres: Nokian Hakka 5. No need to say anything further. It beats the heck out of any other brand I've tried (and I have had at least 10-11 different sets of winter tires, with and without nails/dubs whatever you call it) Both on solid ice, deep snow, slush, wet and dry tarmac. It's Finnish, made for northern circumstances (in other words harsh winters). The only drawback with them, is that they seldom last more than two, three seasons, depending on how much asphalt you're driving on.

The 3 is available in a hatch here in the US (actually one of the more popular models), and having sold Mazdas for a while, I have been in a few 3s. Whether or not they are actually bigger, they do FEEL bigger on the inside. They are, however, substantially more expensive, and we are trying to keep costs down....

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
The 3 is available in a hatch here in the US (actually one of the more popular models), and having sold Mazdas for a while, I have been in a few 3s. Whether or not they are actually bigger, they do FEEL bigger on the inside. They are, however, substantially more expensive, and we are trying to keep costs down....

That's interestig... The Mazdas are qute cheap compared to other brands around here. Opels are somewhere in the middle of the price range, but it depends heavily on what drivetrain you opt for. That's due to the taxation of motorized vehicles (higher CO2 emission equals high tax, same goes for bhp beyond 190ish bhp). On a side note, this method of taxation came into effect only a couple of years ago. Before that, the taxation was calculated upon displacement. No wonder why american cars are so rare around here...

Funny thing: Motorcycles are still taxed the same way as the old method for cars, but I believe that will change soon. If so, that will result in a lot cheaper bikes:thumbup:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
That's interestig... The Mazdas are qute cheap compared to other brands around here. Opels are somewhere in the middle of the price range, but it depends heavily on what drivetrain you opt for. That's due to the taxation of motorized vehicles (higher CO2 emission equals high tax, same goes for bhp beyond 190ish bhp). On a side note, this method of taxation came into effect only a couple of years ago. Before that, the taxation was calculated upon displacement. No wonder why american cars are so rare around here...

Funny thing: Motorcycles are still taxed the same way as the old method for cars, but I believe that will change soon. If so, that will result in a lot cheaper bikes:thumbup:

The biggest reasont he Opel/Saturn would be so cheap is the financing dealt hey are running. Saturn in not carrying the Astra for '09 so they are trying to blow out their remaining '08s before the '10s come in later this summer. So, we would basically get the car at dealer cost, $0 down, 0% interest. Makes it much more affordable than the 3. The 3 hatch, though, is the top of the line, so it isn't the base price, which would be comparable to the Astra, rather it starts closer to $22,000 instead of $17,000.

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I drive a Saturn Ion (2007), the last run of the Ion before this car replaced it. It's been a reliable car (had it for 2 yrs) and the only time I had to take it to the dealer was hassle-free. Fit and finish leaves much to be desired (a lot of the interior just feels "cheap") and as someone mentioned, resale is horrible so plan on running it into the ground because getting close to your money out of it at sale time won't happen without divine intervention.

The only reason I bought the Ion was 0% down / 0% interest. That's a huge plus every month when you watch the principal balance fall like a rock. Not to delve into your finances and sorry if it's been mentioned before, but your "diaper payment/pediatrician payment" every month can dwarf a REALLY nice car payment. The fewer bills you have when the kiddo gets here the better. Good luck with choosing your new ride!

Dave