Scorpion Exhaust Help!

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Did anybody who installed their scorpion exhaust have a problem with the clamp not fitting around the left muffler? Both clamps fit fine around the right muffler, but not the left at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Which clamps are you referring to...? The exhaust clamp that goes between the muffler and the Y pipe or the large clamps that clamp the muffler to the frame support?
The muffler clamps that come with the Scorpions are just a tad too small; or more correctly, the clamp bolts are a tad too short. Unscrew the bolts until they're only held in the nut by a full thread, tap the clamps onto the muffler inlet pipe, join the muffle to the Y pipe and then tighten the nut (carefully at first so that it catches the first few threads ok).

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Or get another longer bolt, tighten the clamp up, to get everything squeezed together, and then replace it with the original bolt.

mdierker

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya as I think about it I did have a real problem with the clamps fitting I actually broke one when trying to tighten it down. So I just threw on a HD clamp I had in the shop, but for your problem I would say just open it all the way and then curse and bitch untill you get a thread to catch

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya as I think about it I did have a real problem with the clamps fitting I actually broke one when trying to tighten it down. So I just threw on a HD clamp I had in the shop, but for your problem I would say just open it all the way and then curse and bitch untill you get a thread to catch

Thats how i solve most of my problems, surprisingly it works a lot of the time.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I am talking about the exhaust clamp that goes between the muffler and the Y pipe.

Do you think a hose clamp from a hardware store would do it if I can't tap the original clamp on?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
No, don't use a hose clamp, you won't get it tight enough before the threads strip...buy a proper muffler clamp that's slightly larger in diameter than the Scorpion clamp. Make sure it's stainless steel, though, like the Scorpion clamps, otherwise it'll look like crap when it rusts in about a day and a half. ;)
Did you try what I suggested above, btw...? Once you have the clamp on the muffler inlet side it will tighten up nicely.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Bigger hammer???

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
No, don't use a hose clamp, you won't get it tight enough before the threads strip...buy a proper muffler clamp that's slightly larger in diameter than the Scorpion clamp. Make sure it's stainless steel, though, like the Scorpion clamps, otherwise it'll look like crap when it rusts in about a day and a half. ;)
Did you try what I suggested above, btw...? Once you have the clamp on the muffler inlet side it will tighten up nicely.

I haven't tried to tap it with a hammer yet, did you also use a block of wood so you wouldn't scratch the steel when you tapped it?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Bigger hammer???

:D:thumbup:
We have an old saying in the automotive trade..."Don't force it, use a bigger hammer".
As an auto mechanic (or technician as we're now called), I tend to not mention the obvious, but yes...Hellgate's right on the money. I used a large rubber hammer (yes, there is such a thing...it's the same consistency as a hockey puck) to tap the clamp over my Scorpion's inlet pipe (with the clamp bolt just held by a thread and a bit)...I then applied a light smear of bearing grease inside the joint and pushed it onto the Y pipe. Once it's in place, carefully start tightening the clamp bolt. It will work.:thumbup:

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
:D:thumbup:
We have an old saying in the automotive trade..."Don't force it, use a bigger hammer".
As an auto mechanic (or technician as we're now called), I tend to not mention the obvious, but yes...Hellgate's right on the money. I used a large rubber hammer (yes, there is such a thing...it's the same consistency as a hockey puck) to tap the clamp over my Scorpion's inlet pipe (with the clamp bolt just held by a thread and a bit)...I then applied a light smear of bearing grease inside the joint and pushed it onto the Y pipe. Once it's in place, carefully start tightening the clamp bolt. It will work.:thumbup:

Awesome, I will have to go pick up a big rubber hammer :)

If that doesn't work, I'll probably cry