Screw in rear tire :(

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted your opinion on this matter. I was mounting up to go to work the other day and my bike stalled 30 seconds after starting (This has nothing to do with the screw BTW). I though that was weird so I decided to do a visual of the entire bike (I know I should do this everytime but I was late for work.). Well as I'm looking over I see a shiny dot on my rear tire. It was a screw that was deep into the rear tire. I inspected it closer and you could see that the head of it was worn down a bit like I had rode on it. Well we just finished a few days of rain so it had to have been in their for at least three days parked. I had no choice but to ride the bike to work so I kept a close eye on it. Long story short, it's not loosing air and it seems to be in there tight. The screw is a little to the right of center. Should I just leave it alone or patch/replace the tire?

BTW: Hi all! I've been lurking on this board since I bought my bike last July. Decided this was good enough reason to join. :)

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard:thumbup:

Now as for the tire, I would replace it. It may not be losing air now, but what happens later? Also the belts inside the tire have been damaged so the the structural integrity is compromised on this tire. It could let go at speed, which is about the worst time possible.:mad:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would say that if you do decide to keep the tire then you should patch it or plug it, the screw WILL wear down and start losing air. depending on the diameter of the screw then i would not worry too much about the cord integrity, unless you cruise at the tires max speed rating.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome:thumbup:

As for the tyre go and get it sorted straight away. You dont wont that blowing out at speed, very nasty.

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the great advice :) So I should probably just replace to be safe huh... Forgive my ignorance, I'm still on my first tire, but how much will this cost? The tire was worn down anyway but I don't have allot of throw around money. But like I always tell people, it's cheaper to pay for something like this now then to pay the hospital bills later.

J

jsteinb95

Thank you all for the great advice :) So I should probably just replace to be safe huh... Forgive my ignorance, I'm still on my first tire, but how much will this cost? The tire was worn down anyway but I don't have allot of throw around money. But like I always tell people, it's cheaper to pay for something like this now then to pay the hospital bills later.

I would think it would cost around $200 (after tax and mounting and balancing) and it depends on what brand and model. I may be wrong on this price, can't remember what I payed for tires. How does the other tire look? You may just want to replace them both, otherwise you will have to buy the same tire that is on it, to replace the bad one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
Oiy, my wallet is crying lol. The front one doesn't look so bad. Probably should just replace them both though huh. I'll give my local shop a call and see what they quote me for. Is their a particular tire you would recommend? I'm not afraid to push her and lean hard but I don't ever plan on racing. Is their something wrong with the stock ones? I know for cars they go with the lowest bidder but what about bikes?

J

jsteinb95

Oiy, my wallet is crying lol. The front one doesn't look so bad. Probably should just replace them both though huh. I'll give my local shop a call and see what they quote me for. Is their a particular tire you would recommend? I'm not afraid to push her and lean hard but I don't ever plan on racing. Is their something wrong with the stock ones? I know for cars they go with the lowest bidder but what about bikes?

What tires are on it now?

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
It's whatever came on the stock 2006 CA edition. I'm not sure of the brand but I could go look if you need.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
RideNow Search Results for tires

This is the best prices i have found on tires. if you can get the shop to put them on if you order them on the internet then you can save a ton of money. I have a friend that changes tires as long as i split a case of beer with him... tire changed are pretty cheap that way.

I actually had the Shinko 005 tires on my last bike and was fairly impressed, they felt as stable as the pilot road's that i had on it before and way better than the dunlop sportmax OEm tires that came on that bike.

J

jsteinb95

It's whatever came on the stock 2006 CA edition. I'm not sure of the brand but I could go look if you need.

Well, depending on what "stock" tire you have on it.....it could cost you $360 to put the same stock tire back on.

ThePaul

Reaction score
Visit site
I also had my tire punctured about a week ago, but by a nail so it slowly leaked. I also live in CA...not sure if there is a "stock" for just California, but I got my rear tire replaced for 205 bucks at a local shop. My bike had about 7k miles when I replaced the tire. My stock tire was the Bridgestone Battlax BT021 180/55ZR17 which I had replaced with the same tire.

Bridgestone Battlax BT021 Sport Touring Radial Tire :: New Enough Motorcycle Hard Parts

Hope this helps, Paul.

H

HavBlue

For me it's launch it time. These are Z speed rated motorcycle tires and they put up with all sorts of stresses. They are also my life when on the road and working twisties. A plug is fine as an emergency repair but that will last just long enough to get another tire.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I also had my tire punctured about a week ago, but by a nail so it slowly leaked. I also live in CA...not sure if there is a "stock" for just California, but I got my rear tire replaced for 205 bucks at a local shop. My bike had about 7k miles when I replaced the tire. My stock tire was the Bridgestone Battlax BT021 180/55ZR17 which I had replaced with the same tire.

Bridgestone Battlax BT021 Sport Touring Radial Tire :: New Enough Motorcycle Hard Parts

Hope this helps, Paul.

hmmm the bt 021 as the stocker....I was robbed! mine '08 came with bt 020's stock and after my screw (less than 1500 mi) I replaced it with the bt 021. I am no tire expert but I have no personal problems with the bridgestones.

edit: payed around $150 OTD for the tire and mounted (wheel off of the bike) I got a discount because they scratched my wheel.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the years, I have plugged several of my own cage tires and never have had subsequent problems. Myself, I would plug or patch it on the inside while I decided whether or not to replace it. And probably not a bad idea to carry around a plug kit/CO2 especially if we're seeking out new frontiers since...we motorcyclists don't carry a spare in the trunk, right?

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Over the years, I have plugged several of my own cage tires and never have had subsequent problems. Myself, I would plug or patch it on the inside while I decided whether or not to replace it. And probably not a bad idea to carry around a plug kit/CO2 especially if we're seeking out new frontiers since...we motorcyclists don't carry a spare in the trunk, right?

No doubt there are a huge number of us that have plugged a tire and continued on our marry way. I have even gone a couple hundred miles on my bias ply Harley rear tire after plugging it for repair. On the FZ6 we use a multi compound radial tire and to my knowledge there aren't any steel belts in these babies. The loads on that motorcycle radial are huge for those that push any limit of the tire and considering the fabric of the tire has been compromised I'm not willing to find out if that tire will hold up during continued use. If I were just putzing around not really pushing anything I may think about it but then again, that just wouldn't be me.....