Seat Help Requested

G

guyd78

I've read through all of the seat threads, or a lot of them anyways, and I'm at a loss as to what I should try next.

Stock seat was bad for me. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and 160 lbs. FWIW. I was leaned forward too much thus rolling on to my nads. Not comfortable to say the least. I also felt as if I were sitting too high on the bike being on it instead of in it.

I searched the forum and did the shaved seat method. Off and on the bike a handfull of times and eventually I got it right for the most part. It resolved the height issue. I still lean forward some, but not as bad. I find myself sitting right behind the tank and feel that I'm probably sitting too far forward instead of back on the cushioned area. Comfort wise it's fine for in town, or anything less than an hour or so. Once I hit an hour of riding I find myself squirming around a lot and not being able to feel just right on the bike. I also have a slight numbness in the center of my inseam.

Last week I was fortunate enough to try out on my bike a Corbin seat from a used FZ6 for sale here in town. For my build/size whatever - it sucked as much as the original stock seat. I was leaning again, the nads were numb, I sat up to high, and I also had a bad problem of sliding especially at stops. The sliding I could have probably corrected, but not the rest.

So what to try now? It's not a "big" deal as I'm fine riding around town, but it would be nice to extended the riding distance and be comfortable while doing so. I've ridden year-round for 2.5 years now (1 on the FZ6) and besides my wifes car which she drives it is my only vehicle. Better to figure something out now rather than later I'm thinking.

Any ideas?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read through all of the seat threads, or a lot of them anyways, and I'm at a loss as to what I should try next.

Stock seat was bad for me. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and 160 lbs. FWIW. I was leaned forward too much thus rolling on to my nads. Not comfortable to say the least. I also felt as if I were sitting too high on the bike being on it instead of in it.

I searched the forum and did the shaved seat method. Off and on the bike a handfull of times and eventually I got it right for the most part. It resolved the height issue. I still lean forward some, but not as bad. I find myself sitting right behind the tank and feel that I'm probably sitting too far forward instead of back on the cushioned area. Comfort wise it's fine for in town, or anything less than an hour or so. Once I hit an hour of riding I find myself squirming around a lot and not being able to feel just right on the bike. I also have a slight numbness in the center of my inseam.

Last week I was fortunate enough to try out on my bike a Corbin seat from a used FZ6 for sale here in town. For my build/size whatever - it sucked as much as the original stock seat. I was leaning again, the nads were numb, I sat up to high, and I also had a bad problem of sliding especially at stops. The sliding I could have probably corrected, but not the rest.

So what to try now? It's not a "big" deal as I'm fine riding around town, but it would be nice to extended the riding distance and be comfortable while doing so. I've ridden year-round for 2.5 years now (1 on the FZ6) and besides my wifes car which she drives it is my only vehicle. Better to figure something out now rather than later I'm thinking.

Any ideas?
If you lower the preload on your suspension as much as you can without making the handling suck it will make you be able to sit further back. I have a shaved seat and I sit back as far as I can and I don't get thrown forward due to the height of the rear being just right. I have a different spring though. I have at least 6 inches between my nads and the tank and it's getting close to cruiser comfort with my higher bars and risers as well as the gel in the seat. I'm planning on taking the seat to bits again later and replacing all the foam with gel so I can get away with making it even lower further back. Pics on my site and on the thread stickied at the top of this ssection... :rockon:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Top Sellerie (Top Saddlery) seat. It's amazing for long rides. No sliding when braking, and yet you're still able to shift left and right to set up turns. I have a gel insert in the rider and pillion parts of the seat, and my pillion loves it. Much more comfortable than stock. There is also a raised lip (backrest) between the rider and pillion which allows you to know exactly where on the seat your are be feel.

Lots of TS folks on the forum here, I'm sure there must be somebody near you who would let you check theirs out.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the TS seat. I am 5-8 also and love the TS seat. I don't have any gell in mine and its still comfy all day long.

Although I didn't have any major trouble with the stock seat even on 300+ mile rides. Try pushing your butt towards the back of the seat once you are out on the highway.

I'll be in your area at the end of March if you don't have your seat yet you can check mine out.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
....I was leaned forward too much thus rolling on to my nads.
....I still lean forward some, but not as bad. I find myself sitting right behind the tank and feel that I'm probably sitting too far forward instead of back on the cushioned area...

... I was leaning again...

Any ideas?

Have you considered installing barbacks to move the bars back (duh) so you won't have to lean so much to reach them?

For example these or these. (The second ones call themselves forward risers, but they will work as barbacks if turned around, and are cheaper than the gen mar.) Or maybe these.