Seat Talk

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
For reference, it is an '09 with the standard seat.. not the comfort seat.

Okay, I've put 4k miles on my bike so far, and I just cannot make myself like the "junk crushing" seat. I slide forward everytime I brake or turn and get trapped up against the tank.

Idk about the expensive aftermarket seats, but do they aid in this? maybe make more of a saddle to sit on so you aren't sliding forward like you're sitting on a see-saw?

Also, the girlfriend slides down into my seat section more than once everytime we go out. Is this normal on streetbikes?

It is my first streetbike I've ridden, and the two harleys hold me in place fine.. but they are harleys and don't count in this. :BLAA:

So.. is this fixable? Am I going to end up switching the rear section to an r6 so I have a seperate seat for me and my gf? I may end up trading in for something else or grabbing a 2nd bike if these small issues can't be reasonably solved :(

The cutouts in the gas tank are there for you to brace yourself with. Squeeze the tank with your knees, and your junk won't hit anything.

I've ridden with a pillion of:

My mate who rides.
My GF who has never
My MUM who did once upon a time
My brother in law who has never
And another three friends (both m&f) who have never ridden.

I've ridden soft and pretty hard with both, and only one has ever slid into me or bumped me, never coming off their own seat. I blame your pillion for that - they need to realize that they are riding the bike as well, and need to be fully aware of what you are doing.

As far as junk crushing, a few mates have asked me about the same thing since the seat ramps STRAIGHT to the tank, but when I brake had, I brace my arms (slightly) and lock my legs into the tank.

Never had a problem with it.

The problem I had was the seat grabbed the pants (mostly jeans) so as you slide forward the pants stayed in the same place but I didn't. Also for me the soft springs in the forks would dive badly making matters even worst. I fixed it with a Corbin seat and some sonic fork springs. Also motorcycle pants with a lot of nylon and a little baby power helps.

I solved this issue with Snake Skin Techspec tank grips and custom spencer seat mod. Around 175 for both and it will solve both your problems and allow you to ride for hours without a sore butt.

Good Luck!!!

I solved this issue with Snake Skin Techspec tank grips and custom spencer seat mod. Around 175 for both and it will solve both your problems and allow you to ride for hours without a sore butt.

Good Luck!!!

+1 on the above re Spencers: ( Page 1 ).

I had my seat re-done using "Supracore, (he doesn't use gel). My only issue was the hardness of the seat. Once done, the seat looks factory stock.

He can also trim the seat to however you want it. He was familiar with the FZ6 seat and asked if I wanted those mods done (I didn't as I liked the seat otherwise). He does excellent work and is very reasonable in price and turnaround is literally a day once you contact him. It took longer for shipping (just across Florida) than it did for the mod...

I've ridden with a pillion of:

My mate who rides.
My GF who has never
My MUM who did once upon a time
My brother in law who has never
And another three friends (both m&f) who have never ridden.

I've ridden soft and pretty hard with both, and only one has ever slid into me or bumped me, never coming off their own seat. I blame your pillion for that - they need to realize that they are riding the bike as well, and need to be fully aware of what you are doing.

As far as junk crushing, a few mates have asked me about the same thing since the seat ramps STRAIGHT to the tank, but when I brake had, I brace my arms (slightly) and lock my legs into the tank.

Never had a problem with it.

^^This^^ for the back. As far as you sliding front to back I used to have the same problem as well. I found squeezing the tank fixes that. I also found if I was sliding around forward or back, that I probably wasn't doing something very smoothly.

Back