Sheard of my windshield bolts, 2009 ZF6 - how do I get to the inside grommets to replace

jacobyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
I Sheard of my windshield bolts, 2009 ZF6 - how do I get to the inside grommets to replace. My bike feel onto a shelf and the windshield came flying off and the bolts are sheared off. How do I remove and replace those bolts?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rubber "nuts" just push in from the outside. The nuts expand as you turn the screw in (be gentle, it doesn't take much to shear it off)

Their designed to shear off should you crash. The screws are plastic and should spin out easily as there's NO metal to corrode/seize up.

You likely have to buy a small package (6 or 8 as I re-call).

The plastic screws comes with the nuts and are pretty cheap.

I have 5-6 in a baggy as spares in the tool box.. .

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The faired version uses a rubber grommet with brass threads.

Assuming this is the same and the plastic bolts were used you have a couple options.
1) using a drill bit smaller than thread shank, use an electric drill and with luck, the bit bites the plastic bolt and spins on though freeing itself from the grommet.
2) use some flush cut side cutters and cut the lip of the grommet off. Push it through to the inside.
Buy new grommets and bolts...

The new grommets push in from the outside and expand into place with the bolt.

Items #2 & 3
2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC Yamaha Motorcycle COWLING 1 Diagram and Parts

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The faired version uses a rubber grommet with brass threads.

Assuming this is the same and the plastic bolts were used you have a couple options.
1) using a drill bit smaller than thread shank, use an electric drill and with luck, the bit bites the plastic bolt and spins on though freeing itself from the grommet.
2) use some flush cut side cutters and cut the lip of the grommet off. Push it through to the inside.
Buy new grommets and bolts...

The new grommets push in from the outside and expand into place with the bolt.

Items #2 & 3
2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC Yamaha Motorcycle COWLING 1 Diagram and Parts

Once the original plastic screw/stub is out, the rubber grommet will come out without issue. You can even use a new screw to help, that's IF the rubber nut is even damaged (which it likely is NOT). The new plastic screws should solve the problem by themselves. Changed several on my FJR which uses the same part, just more of em...

*Until you get the new ones, pick up an M5 x .8 pitch, thread length-20mm's (phillips screw head) which is what broke on you.
I just measured my spare, (have ONE screw left and 4 rubber "nuts"). But do put the plastic ones back in, it may save your butt should you go over the bars..

Last edited:

jacobyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks much - the problem is that the screws got sheared off, so now I have 1/2 the screw stuck in the grommet in the frame part of the windshield frame. The windshield came off and the screws broke in half, so there is no way to unscrew them. Its a sealed frame and I cant see where you can get to the inside to push the grommet and 1/2 screw out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

jacobyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your advise - I didn't see your response before I sent the last one. I'll try the drill bit if I can figure out how to get to the inside of the frame.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't need to drill anything, a pic's worth a thousand words. Just take a small sharp object and spin the screw out.

Here's a pic of the entire "nut" and screw. It simply expands/bulges as you tighten the screw. You can drill it out however its really not necessary, their not super tight (or they'd break off)...

Last edited:

jacobyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll give that a try - I guess there is no "Inside part of the frame" to get at to be able to push it out. I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I'll try and find a sharp object that will sink into the sheared off screw (its flush with the frame which is why this is so difficult). Plus there are 8 of them all sheared off and flush. Thanks so much for all your help.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can pull off the inner fairings but if the "nut" is still bulging, its not going to want to move.

As noted above, if you can't get the plastic screws out, drill em, just be super careful you don't tear up the fairing..
Once you get past the plastic, its brass. You shouldn't need to go beyond that. A sheet metal screw partially in, would help you grab it
and pull it out.

If you can simply remove the plastic screws, you don't have to mess with the plastic nuts at all. I'd shoot for that myself..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Six of them, use a small drill bit. The goal is not drill through the sheared plastic but for the BIT to catch and simply spin it out quickly before the rubber spins in the frame.

Why shoot down things that work!?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Six of them, use a small drill bit. The goal is not drill through the sheared plastic but for the BIT to catch and simply spin it out quickly before the rubber spins in the frame.

Why shoot down things that work!?

It's not a matter of shooting that method down. Many ways to skin a cat

I've had them break before and they will simply spin out with a sharp edge, (sharp screwdriver).

I'd prefer the additional control working by hand vs taking a drill motor to my fairing (potential oh $hit)
Trying to get the bit to center on that broken plastic nut may be difficult W/O it walking..