Shipping motorcycle to Southern Africa

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Has anybody shipped a bike to Southern Africa before from the UK. I'd really appreciate it if you could tell of your experiences.

Sometime in the future I want to go on a southern africa tour and am trying to gather as much information as I can about the logistics of moving a bike to and from south africa (temporary export)

In case anyone ever thinks of touring those lands here is a website that is of great help.

Safe motorcycle touring in Africa

Hotlips

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi bledubd

Give us some more detail as to what you have in mind. A couple of issues come to mind, such as : Length of stay, customs, shipping, insurance and a host of other things that may come to mind. If it's a kinda short stay it may be better to rent a bike this side than to go through all the hassles of temporary import. I can certainly find out more info for you but you need to be a bit more specific as to what your requirements are.

:welcome:

Last edited:

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Hotlips.

I am planning a tour of South Africa, Botswana, Zim, maybe Namibia. At the moment what is clear in my mind is that I want to tour. My two choices are renting a bike over there or shipping my bike over. I think the tour will not be less than a month but definately not more than 2 months. I am gathering as much info on the 2 options so as to make a better decision when it comes to that.

I have checked some of the rentals and they were having rates of R1300 for a BMW R1200 GS Adventure which is the bike I want to use.

So just give me as much info as you can.

Hotlips

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi bledubd
I have received an answer from Safari4x4Hire which seems quite favourable. It's rather a long post and I'd like to forward it to you. Can you please supply me an e-mail address or shall I just post it.

Regards
Henry

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Henry,

I would like to see it as well. Is it to LARGE for a post?

I remember there was someone previously asked the same questions, to integrate a tour in South Africa when he comes for the World Cup in 2010 and we surly can help in painting the picture or at least change a few colours ;)

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi bledubd
I have received an answer from Safari4x4Hire which seems quite favourable. It's rather a long post and I'd like to forward it to you. Can you please supply me an e-mail address or shall I just post it.

Regards
Henry

Thanks hotlips. I think you can post the long response here for others. I will pm you my email in case you still think its ridiculously long.

One of the tour operators I'd cheked was also talking about having the bike license for something like 5years if you want to hire a bike, but alas i only have 1 1/2 years :(

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked a couple of places, you can get a GS Adventure for about 100 quid a day if longer than a week, with unlimited kilometres, or a 650GS or Dakar for half that, but licence requirement is also 5 years.

The rates include insurance. If you want to go over border there is a deposit of about GBP 600.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something else to consider:

If you import a bike you will have to lodge a deposit with customs and excise, not sure if all of it will be refundable. Then you have the problem of taking a non South African registered bike into a neighbouring state, the logistics of which I can't help you with.

Maybe you should call Ewan and Charlie!