Shoei RF1100

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Is anyone using this helmet? Is it quiet?

I've been running an HJC CL-14 for more years than is advised.... mama decided it's time for a new lid. Having an XXL long oval head shape makes it a beyotch to find helmets that fit. The CL was bought when I needed a helmet and was not able to spend a lot on it. It's a noisy helmet. I wear earplugs at speed, because of the rumbling and popping. I thought this was because of the pockets for the speakers.

The RF1100 seems to have the same size pockets around the ears. It does have a chin curtain, and much better seals on the windscreen, etc. The shape of the shell, the integrated spoiler, the smoothness of the vent covers attached to the shell should all make for a quieter helmet comparatively.

I have a very small window to send the helmet back, and try out a SignetQ, or keep the RF1100. I don't want to take the stickers off the windscreen to try the thing out at speed, if I end up sending the thing back.

Any help would be appreciated.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a little love/hate for this helmet with ratio of 80% love/20%hate.

Reason for the negative callout is a whistling noise at speed mostly occurring with the vents open at highway speed. This is mitigated a little bit by adjusting the visor using adjustment screws on each side. But still the whistling persists a little bit so not perfect. If i push firmly, while riding, on the shield toward face it forms a better seal and usually works. But really kind of annoyed needing to do this on a super premium helmet. And yes I am very glad to have gotten the rf-1100. My next helmet will probably be another Shoei but will try a newer generation.

Positives are:
visor mechanism and especially visor changeout - best I ever used.
ventilation is pretty good for a non-modular full faced helmet
Snell rating

Negatives:
high cost
whistling noise needs adjusting to help

Edit: This is my everyday helmet for about 1.5 seasons and still going. went on a long 12 day trip.. ~8,000 miles over that period 1.5 years period of time. I have 2 scorpion helmets that I still like but rarely use

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for that. I'm trying to get a good idea of what would be quieter between this helmet and a SignetQ.

I don;t like buying premium helmets, but if I have to in order to get one that fits my skull, it might as well be premium quiet, too.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have an RF1100 for a year and a half, previous helmets were Sharl and AGV. RF1100 is very nice, inner materials are good quality and it's reasonable quite - have not had the whistling noise mentioned above. My 2 big complaints are the visor fogs too easily - fix is a pinlock visor and insert and the paint scratches too easily. I ride most every day so it used a lot. Always take care of it but the bumps do happen - sometime it is hard to remember how big your head is with a helmet! At home have a special place I always put it, very rarely do I leave it on the bike and never on a handlebar.

Have you looked at the HJC R type? They seem to be a quality helmet that is a little less than the RF1100.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I decided to keep the bird in hand, rather than futz around with getting another helmet that could possibly not fit as well as the RF1100 had proven to. I had hoped for even quieter; it's better than most in that regard, but I think another neck roll to seal out wind on the bottom edge of the helmet would do wonders for the noise.

The thing has GREAT ventilation. Optics through the shield are very good as well.

I'll try to keep a good eye on where I put the helmet to avoid droping it....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like my RF-1100 I always have to wear earplugs anyway. I really like the weight ,fit, ventilation and visibility. I use a Sena SMH10R with it. It's also my second RF-1100 :)

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not using the RF1100 but I just read an interesting letter to the editor in this month's Motorcycle Consumer News where there was a complaint about the x-12 being noisy. The message was that helmets are designed for various types of motorcycles as well. A "race" helmet such as the x-12 is designed for the rider to be leaned over in a tuck and would not be as quiet if the rider is riding a standard or cruiser with a more straight up riding position due to the positioning of the vents\shield, etc. The recommendation for a standard was the GT-Air instead. Might be worth looking at. I think they consider the RF1100 to be more of a race helmet as well.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the RF1100 on and found it to be a very nice helmet at a lower, more reasonable price point than the Arai Signet-Q.

Why did I go Arai in the end?
  • Arai Signet-Q large created hot spots
  • Shoei RF1100 large created lesser hot spots, but less room for eyeglasses
  • Cyclegear had Arai Signet-Q XL on order already
  • Cyclegear arranged cheek pad upgrade to compensate for XL Arai size difference
  • Did not know about Shoei policy of cheek pad adjustment (one time) at purchase

That said, I would not consider the RF1200 that is now being sold. It was VERY uncomfortable compared to the RF1100, and the eyeglasses slots in the padding were less accommodating.

If I were to do it over again, I'd have saved $150 or so going with the RF1100.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that. I'm trying to get a good idea of what would be quieter between this helmet and a SignetQ.

I don;t like buying premium helmets, but if I have to in order to get one that fits my skull, it might as well be premium quiet, too.

I have an RX-Q (the intermediate oval equivalent of the Signet)

Arai in my opinion is just a much nicer place for your head to be than any other helmet i've ever tried on. Don't really know the quietness difference as you can't test ride helmets... but noise really only starts to bother me on rides over 100mi, or when droning on the interstate. coincidentally the feel of the liner starts to bother me at the same point on most helmets. the Arai is just so much more comfortable in the areas that touch your head than anything else, provided you get the shape that fits you. Also, all Arai models go up to 3XL.

as a bonus the vents actually work on my helmet as well, not just turn up the volume like some...

my lid should last 6 years, so insuring my head at $100 a year is pretty reasonable to me

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another feature I like about the RF-1100 is there are 5 different shell sizes so the thickness if the interiors stay pretty consistent as the overall size of the helmet changes. I have 2 sets of interiors for my helmet so it's nice to swap out to a clean interior and wash the dirty one which is then ready to rotate again. I'm totally bald so I wear a thin liner in the summer and balaclava when it's cold. :) Yeah...no helmet hair anymore! :p