Shop Damaged my Wheel - Tire Change.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Had new tires put on my bike today and when I got home I noticed my front wheel had damage on it that was not there before. This was the first tire change for the bike. The back also has a small nick in it but not close to what is on the front one.

How should I handle this? What should I expect from the shop? How should they handle it. I am going to talk to them tomorrow about it. The shop is awesome so I am hoping they handle it well.

My bike is Mint with only 7000km. I am pretty careful with it. Never even had it in the rain. Its not like its an old bike , the wheel was perfect before.

t2.jpg

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about it. :( I want to find a shop to trust but have not been successful. Seem like there is always something. And events like this is the reason why I do not want anybody else to even touch my bike.

A decade ago on my car, Honda scratched up my rims and it was really bad. I did noticed before I left and they did replace all 4 of them. Hopefully you can get some compensation or repair. I'm not sure how well they can repair the scratch, but if your like me, I will always know it is there and will spot it at every pre-ride check and every wash.

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with a local dealer. They didn't even really appologize. I hope you get better treatment in your case. Since then, I use local small shops, who you can even watch them change the tires and they understand how customers feel about their bikes and don't take us for granted...

I really don't understand what's wrong with the dealers, but I suspect they get the rockies changing the tires..

I used a sharpie black marker to try to hide the scratch so it doesn't look so bad... they also scratched my swingarm a little with the rear brake caliper...

Last edited:

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend had the same thing happen at Motorcycle-superstore(they have a retail store here). It took him a couple of months to get them to buy him a new wheel.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's too bad! I thoroughly cleaned my rims before I had the bike's tires changed, and mentioned it to the service manager when I dropped the bike off. He said they would appreciate it in the back. I'm not saying yours were dirty, just my experience in how to bring it up that you'll be paying attention.

I had Belle Tire scratch the wheels on my grand prix. They're the 5-double spoke 17" aluminum ones, which were pristiene before they got ahold of them, I don't even want to get started on that story but they didn't end up doing anything after a long battle and phone calls to Mr. Don Barnes in corporate. I didn't have time to sue before the issue was so drawn out I gave up.

Walmart scratched my dad's rim on his cherokee he had, and they ordered him a new one without too much hassle. I did chastise him for going there for tires tho...

Good luck and hopefully the shop does the right thing. I know I'd be pissed.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually had my swingarmed damaged when I had my tire changed out for the first time. The shop definately did it, but I didn't notice it until I got home.

So from then on.....I never leave the shop without going over my bike very carefully.

Learned the hard way.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its going to be hard to prove that the shop did this unfortunately :( It sucks that they did it though :spank:.. Im hoping that if the store is reputable they will come to the party for you... Rumour has it that it will bleed air now because all motorcycle wheels are porous once the paint is removed :confused:

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
It is not just a matter of the paint been scuffed off, the metal is actually damaged as well. The more I think about this the more I am getting pi$$ed this happened. Its not acceptable. That wheel was a good as new. Touch-up paint I don't think so. What is it was damage on the tank, would touch up paint be ok?

They should take more care. This is a mint bike here, not some old crap. I keep it perfect. Now its not. I paid over 100.00 to have my tires changed and get damage to my bike.

Now that the paint is gone from that spot and the aluminum is damaged, wont corrosion start to set in?

I just hope they handle it well.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know if they changed the wheel weights on it at all? If they balanced the wheel after changing, you might find the location of the wheel weight had to change too.

Having said that, they've clearly been careless with its removal. I'd be going back there and asking for them to fix it up.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Do you know if they changed the wheel weights on it at all? If they balanced the wheel after changing, you might find the location of the wheel weight had to change too.

Having said that, they've clearly been careless with its removal. I'd be going back there and asking for them to fix it up.

Yes looks like they stuck on some new wheel weights.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfectly normal. The weights will change because a tyre may not be perfectly balanced (as well as a wheel). In some instances no weights on either wheel are necessary (rare).

It will be hard to argue with them about the damage though, because depending on the circumstances, the damage may be unavoidable. Circumstances being how long was the other one on for (the longer, the more change of the paint/surface sticking), amongst others.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Perfectly normal. The weights will change because a tyre may not be perfectly balanced (as well as a wheel). In some instances no weights on either wheel are necessary (rare).

It will be hard to argue with them about the damage though, because depending on the circumstances, the damage may be unavoidable. Circumstances being how long was the other one on for (the longer, the more change of the paint/surface sticking), amongst others.

The bike has only 7000kilometres on it. Its the first tire change.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's really hard to comment further, however if it happened at our shop, our detailer here has access to a vast array of touch-up paint and could quite easily restore it to original condition. I'd ask them if they would do the same considering the damage.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't it nice to get screwed? (joke) No thanks for posting this up though because I'm just about to take in my wheels to Cycle Gear for tire change, too (too lazy to DIY) and now I might have to face similar results. Still, the worst I would want to expect is some scratched paint...... I will be surprised if the shop offers to replace/swap out a NEW wheel!

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the major tyre shops here in the UK display in very small writing somewhere on the premises that they are unable to accept responsibility for damaged rims / other parts when changing tyres. Often wondered whose responsibility it is then... mine for trusting them with my bike???

Good luck with getting this sorted. Hope they get their arses in gear and make things happy again.

H.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
That blows!!! I would be down there banging on the door. When I go I try to minimize the hassle. I remove the wheels myself and bring them over to the shop. This at least removes one step for them to possibly screw something up and it is usually a lot cheaper. That being said they should be able to dremmel off the excess metal and match the color pretty well if they wanted to. Let us know how it turns out for you. :thumbup:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
its unacceptable. You paid a shop to perform a service, not damage your bike. Changing a tire is not rocket science. They should have pointed the damage out to you when you picked up your bike. They know people baby their bikes and take great care of them. Maybe they toss their equipment around in back and dont care about their own stuff, hence they'd believe you dont care, as long as the tire change was accomplished. I'd ask them to give you a credit to make it right or i'd never go back there again. Play hardball, no reason for you to get walked on.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a bad experience and this is what I did to fix it.
I bought my bike in South Carolina while living there for job training, the shop was outstanding, then I came back to NYC and found a Yamaha dealer/shop close to my place so I took mi bike for an OIL CHANGE, came back after couple of hours to get a $250.00 American Dollars charge, I spoke to the worker about it and all he had to say, "That's how much we charge".
Came home and review them on every single local website, Yahoo, Google, Yellow pages etc etc.
I received a phone called from the manager asking what was wrong and I told him that I said oil change and they changed every fluid and adjusted "everything" in order to charge more.
He offered to give me my money back as long as I remain their costumer.
I didn't take the money back only because they actually changed and adjust everything and didn't changed my reviews but explained what happened.
People read reviews and that hurts businesses, the shop could loose several costumers if they don't fix what they did wrong and you tell the world, it is their call.