Should I be worried?

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
First time lubing my chain on my 08 FZ6 today. Took 'er out for a springtime ride to keep everything working, and when I got back I started spraying on chain wax. When I tried to lube the underside of the chain, I accidentally got some on the rear tire. It's on the left side of the tire but still where it would make contact with the road if taking a turn. I wiped it down with a soapy sponge, and plan to brush/hose it off again at a coin car wash before any more longer rides, but should I be worried about low siding on a left turn because of this? Any ideas for getting it off the tire, or should start shopping for a new rear tire? Thanks in advance for any replies!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't tell you how many time's I've over sprayed onto my tire. Keep it in mind for the first 5 or 10 miles but after that you should be good to go, especially if you tried to get it off.

Just don't pull out of your driveway and make a hard left turn and get on the throttle hard. Not too big of a deal, again, especially because you already washed it.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think a bit of chain lube on the tyre is a major issue, especially I think if you're not going straight out onto wet roads. I've had a bit of lube on my tyre plenty of times and never had any problems.

To avoid this happening though, use a long bit of cardboard as a shield between your swingarm and tyre when you spray the lube. Just cut up a box to get the right size, and this will prevent this kind of thing happening.

Also, I never spray the underside of the chain - I just spray downward onto the top of chain beneath the swingarm (hope that makes sense).

MichaelInVenice

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI, really no need to lube the underside. Lube from the inside before a ride, and the spinning forces will suck that lube to the outside of the chain, with any excess thrown off in the process.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
the only thing you really shouldn't spray anything on is your brake-disc (which is on the other side of your tire, so why should you ;))

As said, no need to lube the underside, the important stuff to lube is any part that comes in contact with the sprockets (aka, the inside)

Anything else you you decide to spray it on is up to you :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone already mentioned, no need to spray the underside. Just need to hit the part where drum touches the side plate and where side plates overlap.

Cardboard idea is neat. I just hold a paper towel with one hand right under the chain as I spray it from the top. Never have overspray issues.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to you all for the posts, it really puts my mind at ease. I had this vision of taking a long left curve and flying off the GW parkway to my death :eek: but now I feel much better :thumbup:

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, we should always be worried when riding a motorcycle.

the lube will wear off, and it seems you did the right thing to wipe the tire with soapy water. Fling happens too, just as you start to ride. It's good to wipe the chain right after you lube it too.

Something I just learned. I did a pretty hard lean through an intersection, over the cross walk paint, and the back slid out when it hit the paint, (note to self, lols).

:spank:

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I've had the pleasure of riding on the GW Parkway and trust me...chain lube should be the least of your worries on that stretch of road!...Keep your head on as swivel and the shiny side up.:Sport:

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, we should always be worried when riding a motorcycle.

the lube will wear off, and it seems you did the right thing to wipe the tire with soapy water. Fling happens too, just as you start to ride. It's good to wipe the chain right after you lube it too.

Something I just learned. I did a pretty hard lean through an intersection, over the cross walk paint, and the back slid out when it hit the paint, (note to self, lols).

:spank:

Very true. I've also noticed that during the summer, when the road really heats up, the stripes of tar (or whatever) they use to fill in the cracks gets very slippery. Not necessarily a huge danger since they aren't usually very wide, but just another thing to keep in mind!!

MichaelInVenice

Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone already mentioned, no need to spray the underside. Just need to hit the part where drum touches the side plate and where side plates overlap.

Cardboard idea is neat. I just hold a paper towel with one hand right under the chain as I spray it from the top. Never have overspray issues.

The paper towel is pretty much what I do. I do have a 2x3' sheet metal "drip pan" that my landlord gave me to prevent oil drips from the car from disturbing his polished garage floor, and usually put that under the bike when I'm doing any work just in case. My car does not drip anything other than A/C condensate.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the pleasure of riding on the GW Parkway and trust me...chain lube should be the least of your worries on that stretch of road!...Keep your head on as swivel and the shiny side up.:Sport:

No kidding. I've only ridden during the weekend or on Fridays, when traffic is much lighter, but it's still pretty terrible. When you hit it just right and the parkway is deserted, it's a beautiful ride. Any other time, it's really hard to fully enjoy myself when I have to worry that every car I pass is getting ready to change lanes without looking or signaling. Really have to stay alert and try to anticipate every possible thing someone can do to try to put you down.

Just last week there was a 5 vehicle accident involving a motorcycle on the NB side of the parkway by spout run. They ended up closing down the road in both directions so the medevac could land and get the rider :( I couldn't find any more news on him/her, but I hope whoever it is they pulled through. This is the closest thing I could find to news on it: Update: Motorcycle, Multiple Cars in Accident on George Washington Memorial Parkway - McLean, VA Patch