Should I buy this?

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. New here. Been riding about a year and a half now. Got around 9500 miles under my belt. My first bike's a 05 Suzuki gs500F. Great beginner bike! But I'm ready for fuel injected 600...I want the comfort and speed and love yamaha, so the FZ6 seems perfect. I've rode the FZ1's and they're nice, but more speed than I want or need. Anywho, long story short, I stopped by the dealer the other day just to browse, and wellll....They have a bike I want. But I don't know if it's a good deal or what. Here's the specs:

2009 FZ6:
- never left the lot or been titled to anybody so it's brand new
-1 year unlimited mile warranty
-raven edition

Without even haggling the guy knocked off a few hundred and said he'd take $6k. I had my eye set on an 07 red model and told him that was out of my price range. We talked trade in and found out I could get around $1200 for my GS. Since the bikes been sitting there 3 years they want money for it so I could probably get them to about $5500 plus a $1200 trade in. I've read that this model had a "comfort seat" but i didn't notice anything different.

Anyways, what do ya'll think? Is it a good buy or should i keep my eye out for a used?

p/s- glad to be a part of the forum...looking forward to having an fz6 to discuss about!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

I never follow prices on these bikes but it doesn't strike me as that bad a deal and I still think you can walk away with a grand off that bike if you're giving him your GS...But really we need so more savvy bargainers to chime in here!

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I would do it! That's sight unseen! Knowing you're buying a three year old brand new motorcycle that has been in the care of certified technicians and salesman would be enough for me! Go for it and :welcome:! You won't be disappointed in the bike or this forum! Both are the best!

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Xavias on here just bought his 08 for 4200 w/ 18k miles and fill luggage. So if you could get a brand new one for 4300 that would be an awesome deal!

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
My first was a gs500e
Sounds like a good deal but I think you could get more than that if you sold it openly rather than a trade in. But i dont know what the market is like where you are, but they're going for $3000+ here.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
A brand new bike that 3 years ago probably would have cost 8k, ya I'd say it's a great deal!!!!

And by the way, GOOOOOOOO DAWGS!!!! SICK EMMM

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all thanks for the input! I'm probably going to call the Guy and see if I can get it down a little. And the reason I'm not getting much for the gs is that its been dropped. Hope ill be a real member of the fz6 club. Will post pics if I get it!

Ps- I've read mixed reviews on MPG. What are y'all getting? Ill be in a small town with a few red lights but not real stop and go traffic. I'm sure at first ill probably get horrible just from the generous throttle twist after being on my 500. Is the 51 mpg that I've read a realistic number?

Thanks again

D

Dave.TX

Sounds like a good deal to me. If you can afford it then do it but don't get yourself in a payment hole or upside down on a loan.

I get roughly 45mpg average. Been riding mine since I got it Sept 2011 (and put on over 7,000 miles so far). Paid $3900 and it already had Givi hard bags and Leo Vince exhaust installed with 6,400 miles. Prices around here are all over the map. Can you find another brand new one? I was looking for months for a new one to no avail so settled on a gently used 2008 model (also Raven).

Being that it sat around for so long I'd be wary of the fluids and battery. Make sure they make good and give you a reliable bike. I'm assuming it sat indoors most of the time, make sure the tires aren't dried out and cracked. Can't think of anything else!

Good luck, bro, and keep us updated. As always, :needpics:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I get roughly 45mpg too. Thats at an average of 5-10 mph over the speed limit. I would get the bike if I were you, but I would also sell the bike outright unless this is a smaller dealership with low inventory. Because from my experience most dealers do not want used bikes. That's how I got my '09 with 3,500 miles and Givi side bags for $4,200 out the door. I bet you could prolly get it for $5,200 if you tried hard enough and really stressed how they have had 3 years to sell it but couldn't, it will open up room for new inventory instead of old models, and you are still offering a price they will make money on. Don't be afraid to walk away for awhile, worked for me when I inquired in December at $4,800 then got in mid February at $4,200 because they want room for new inventory as season hits.

Good luck!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to do better than 6K for a bike that's essentially 3 years old. I don't care if it's a new, non current bike... it's still 3 years old.

I bought my 2008 Raven FZ6 in 2008 for $6420 out the door. That was the bike, taxes, title and plate.

BTW, I average 43 mpg with my FZ6.

Last edited:

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
So here's an update...
called the dealer, and now his numbers have changed. he's offering less on my trade in, and trying to get more on the fz. He quoted $6700 out the door on the FZ and offered around $500-600 for my gs(since it had been dropped). That puts the bike out of my budget :(

I left him my contact info and told him to think/discuss with his upper's and see what they could work out. if he can get down to $5k with a trade in, I think i'll go pick it up saturday.

Maybe I'm wrong. I know they have additional add-on fees but $6700 out the door still seems a lil high? I mean obviously they haven't sold it for 3 years...you'd think they'd take my offer to make room on the floor. Wasn't the MSRP brand new like $7200 +fees? Well let yall know more when I hear back from him on thursday. Lets hope he can work something out! I'm ready to ride!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What did you end up paying? I have said it before, it doesn't matter how old it is, it is brand new dealer had to pay Yamaha $5800 for that bike. Dealers don't stay dealers long if they pay you to take their bike. I would say the dealer has owned that bike since it had been there for a month. They pay interest on them every month. If it is payed for why give it away someone will end up buying it eventually.

There is another very useful key part the the equation. 1 year factory warranty. Don't get that with a used bike.

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Pics will come tomorrow! Promise. Been to busy riding the dang thing to get off and take pics. Anywho, my final OTD price was $6625. I got 5.99% rate on her. Came with 1 Year manufacturer's warranty, and 0 miles when i cranked her up. A very beautiful site. I pulled over at 100 miles yesterday to take a pic....

One question. It could just be me coming from a 500 vtwin, but i feel like my first get starts sounding like its higher in rpms than it actually shows. Clearly its new so i havent got near redline yet. But in 1st gear it sounds like i should shift a hair under 4k. Otherwise it sounds like its getting really high in rpms..Is this just b/c its during break in or is that normal? I know they come alive around 7-8k and i'll tip toe around that but want to be gentle on her and not rush things with break in....

thanks all. check back for pics tomorrow. I shined her up today but it was dark when i was done so no pics