Should I try it out? Actually, I WILL!

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Found this in an old thread digging through the search engine..

$5 Motorcycle Camera Mount

So i'm giving it a shot and i'll let you guys know how it works out. It's raining so i cant post a video up today but maybe tomorrow if it clears up.

So far, i've already purchased all the material, did all the necessary surgery to make it work and since i couldn't test it right away. I figured i'd spray paint it black. So i'll post pics once it's all dried up and in my hands.

Has anyone tried this b4?

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man, if you wanna hold out for one more day or two.. i'll be heading back to the store to get another set... but this time.. i'll be attaching it to the rear passenger foot peg...

So that you can have 2 to choose from and see which one you'd like to do.. or maybe you'll do both like me.. i have two cameras...HAHA

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have posted several videos from mine... I use just a decent digital camera... you get a lot of vibes and depending on the camera it will be enough to shut the camera off... you will want to do some testing but I found that lower resolution and fps worked better because then the shake wasn't as noticeable... for 5 bucks its worth a try especially if you arent sure how much video you will want to shoot

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, you made a thread where the title of it matched the first post you make in it.

congratulations!

hehe.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I woke up this morning and saw this post and thought, hell why not? for 5$ ill give it a shot. So i headed to Lowes and bought the neccesary items. I came across a problem or 2.

3/4" pvc T coupling was not large enough for the 08's stock handle bars. I had to buy a 1" T coupling and removed the bottom half and kept it off. The hose clamps were too small as well, and I had to buy 1 13/16" to 2 1/4" hose clamp. (I want to paint it black, haven't gotten to it yet though)

Another problem is that my windscreen is painted, and is opaque. So i bought adapters with 3/4" threads to match up with the pvc T coupling I bought. I had to buy 4 of them to raise the camera above the windscreen. This is how it came out:

cameramount.jpg

Now I shot a test video and I get serious vibrations at any speed above say 15 - 20mph. I'm thinking it is due to the fact that I had to raise the camera mount 5 or 6" to make clearance to see over the windscreen. If my windscreen was still clear, and the mount was only 1" tall, i feel like the vibrations would be greatly reduced.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can reduce the vibrations? I was thinking buy thicker pvc and make a thick rubber gasket to hopefully absorb some vibrations. For 5$ it works beautifully though. I get a lot of wind in the microphone as well, but i am please. I would just like to reduce the crazy vibrations.

So if anybody has ideas, any input is appreciated.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got some rubber tubing. I think it was dishwasher hose, it reduced the vibrations some. but remember the handlebars are connected to the fork bone which is connected to the tire bone... so you are getting all of the road vibrations not reduced by the forks

I didnt buy it and I forget which website it was on but I beleive it was a $15 mount that was used to mount a camera on a open car window which should work for a cheaper windshield mount.

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, tried it out and really didnt like the end result...

I also ended up putting tons and i mean tons of foam and rubber absorbers that i had around the house... Still the same vibration..

BUT!!! , yep.. there's a but... i didn't try to lower the resolution of my camera and see if that would even it out... will try that out right now and come back in 30 -1hr to let you all know how it worked out...

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
OKAY< WOW.... so this is what i did to my camera... Not sure if you all have this feature but my canon point and shoot does... i put it to video... and then i made it to record in macro.. then i adjust the ISO to a little bit darker... Then i changed the recording quality to 320... Came out pretty sweet.. I can be going 40mph and have barely any vibration.. Going to go ahead and make a few videos now going through some nice roads.....will post up by tonight if anything..