Side stand cut out

My apologies Scott, in my previous post I thought you were referring to the larger spring housed within the switch that moves the contactor back and forth - that one is ok

However the smaller spring, which is beneath the contactor housed in the switch, was completely rotten therefore the contacts can't come together

You hit the nail on the head with that one! Will I have to replace the whole thing for the sake of a tiny spring?

I wouldn't...

I'd either hit the hardware store for a spring, or depending on how big the hole is, it sits in(I fogot, its been years since I had it apart), cut down a "pen" retractor spring. I don't know if that would be taught enough, but where it sits, should give you an idea how large (width) the spring needs to be.

Seems somebody else had an Oh $hit moment!!! Boing, where'd that damn lil spring go??? :)

Glad you found it!!

And pack it with some di-lectric grease (if you re-use the switch) just to keep the moisture out and it happening again..

Last edited:
I wouldn't...

I'd either hit the harware store for a spring, or depending on how big the hole is, it sits in(I fogot, its been years since I had it apart), cut down a "pen" retractor spring. I don't know if that would be taught enough, but where it sits, should give you an idea how large (width) the spring needs to be.

Seems somebody else had an Oh $hit moment!!! Boing, where'd that damn lil spring go??? :)

Glad you found it!!

And pack it with some di-lectric grease (if you re-use the switch) just to keep the moisture out and it happening again..

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

I much prefer to attempt a repair on things like this, not just to keep the costs down but for my own knowledge and experience more so

Your welcome, please post what the final fix is.. :thumbup:

You are an absolute genius!!! The pen spring seems to have worked brilliantly

I fitted it under the contact, packed the switch with dielectric grease and checked for continuity with my multi-meter - all good. Just got to refit it to the bike and give it a full power trial

Back