Signs of a bigger problem?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed a bit of oil on my right toe the other day. Inspection revealed the plug on the oil pump cover had signs of oil leakage. I removed the plug and noticed there was no O-ring present. I've had the bike nearly two years, never had this plug out - so obviously I've been without it since purchase with no leakage until now. Picked up an o-ring at a hardware store yesterday and reinstalled.

Should there be free flowing oil behind this plug? Why would it start leaking now, 10K miles later? Is this a sign of something bigger, like leaking oil pump or something similar? (FYI, scratched oil pump cover was from PO low speed incident about three years ago.)

null_zpsd9476a18.jpg

null_zps6d40d38c.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're fine! Its supposed to have oil there so its all good.
As long as the O-ring you grabbed is OK with petroleum products it should work. Materials get brittle with time and things seep. No long term systemic issue there.

Be warned that too think of O'ring might pop the lip off the cap if you crank it in. Be careful in that respect.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're fine! Its supposed to have oil there so its all good.
As long as the O-ring you grabbed is OK with petroleum products it should work. Materials get brittle with time and things seep. No long term systemic issue there.

Be warned that too think of O'ring might pop the lip off the cap if you crank it in. Be careful in that respect.

The O-ring I purchased is buna-n, recommended for use in things like hydrocarbon fuels, petroleum-based fluids and lubricants; and temps up to 250F. I must have gotten lucky with the thickness, seated properly without distorting the cap.

Thanks Randy, I appreciate the response! :thumbup: