Single-round headlight wiring question.

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a universal 7-inch headlight on eBay, but there were no instructions in the ad or included with the light. Comparing the wiring to other generic lights I've seen, I just want to confirm that the following is an industry standard:

green - ground
blue - high beam
white - low beam

I tried trial and error for a few frustrating minutes before remembering the bike actually has to be running to engage the headlight circuit. I've removed the airbox, battery tray, etc to package and reroute the harness, so starting the bike in its current state isn't really an option.

Also, can't hurt to confirm I have my OEM wires correct:

black - ground
black w/ yellow stripe - high beam
black w/ green stripe - low beam

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't confirm your custom lamp wire color codes but you've got the FZ6 wire color code correct.:)

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
The more I Google, the more sure I am. There also seems to be a standard physical arrangement of the wires in the three-pronged connector: horizontal across the top = low beam (white), right vertical = high beam (blue), and left vertical = ground (green). Mine matches.

I'm a gambling man. I'll put it all together and hope for the best. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i thought green was low beam as i broke into mine for my heated grips so they only on under ignition?

Mine is UK not sure if that any different?

I would not use the headlamp circuit for your heated grips. For One- The heated grips are a high current device. Second- this may blow your headlamp fuse if there is an overload, short or just too low a fuse rating and gauge wire for the headlamp and heated grips. Third- The headlamp low beam turns off when the high beam is actuated on the OEM single headlamp model bikes. The faired, dual headlight, version does not switch the low beam.

Attached is a schematic for a controlled power relay that you can power most anything on your bike with. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The more I Google, the more sure I am. There also seems to be a standard physical arrangement of the wires in the three-pronged connector: horizontal across the top = low beam (white), right vertical = high beam (blue), and left vertical = ground (green). Mine matches.

I'm a gambling man. I'll put it all together and hope for the best. :D

Correct! Viewing the back of the plug. :)

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
post some pics! I really like the single round headlight look

I might post a complete write-up on my headlight install in a separate thread. Thanks to Motogiro's relay kit (and directions/suggestions), everything works as it should. The single lamp appears brighter than my OEM duals.

I need to clean up all the wires inside the frame. Hate to cut down the factory harness, but that might be my only option. I also don't like the big, ugly loom running between the frame and light assembly; no matter how I tried to situate it, it still limits steering to full lock. If I cut into the harness, I might re-route it back through the left frame port (though I fear it may then interfere with the throttle/clutch cables).

fz6mod1.jpg

fz6mod7.jpg

fz6mod6.jpg

fz6mod2.jpg

fz6mod3.jpg

fz6mod5.jpg

Last edited: