Slow/Gummy Clutch?

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I'm hoping this is just a lube issue but in case it's not, I'd like to get an idea of the next steps.

Last night I was having some trouble riding home. I pull in the clutch to shift/stop- fine. No issues. But when I release, it no longer pops back out. I was having to physically push it back through the friction zone. Wicked pain in the ass. Usually it pops right back out.

I sprayed some lube on it this morning, seemed to help a little bit. I think when I get home (if it stops raining) I'll take it off & really get the joint good.

If lube doesn't solve this- what should I check next?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most likely suspect is the clutch cable: 5VX-26335-00-00

Just watch and feel the lever on the engine case and confirm its not the issue. Instead of pushing the lever out, try pushing the case lever back.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When it gets gummed up it's usually a combo of dirt and the previous lube that was used. An example would be lubing with WD-40. Great stuff for it's intended use but it gets gummy on it's own as time goes by.

I would take the cable loose at both ends. There is a kit you can buy that has an attachment to force lubricant through the cable assembly. There is also a kit you can get from one of our members Chemiker that you can use to maintain lubrication. It has really small tubing with a syringe that makes it easy to get the lube in the sheath for future maintenance.

Your clutch cable is made up of 2 sheaths and one single steel cable. The joint of 2 sheaths is adjustable and located between the airbox and the frame, looking down, after you lift the tank.

Providing this is just a lube issue, it should be easy to remedy. When lubing, take the rubber plug off the engine side of the cable and put a rag under it to catch overflowing lube. :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check for the spring at the clutch slave lever (on the right side of the motor, near the oil fill cap). It should feel very stiff if you try to press on it by hand (simulate squeezing the clutch without actually using the lever/cable).
If the spring is good, cable/housing is the most likely issue.
If you see signs of rust on the exposed part of cable (between lever and where it goes back into housing), it's time for new inner cable, but don't overlook replacing the whole housing too. There could be gunk in it and inner walls could be scratched up.
The cable may actually have one (or more) of the strands broken inside the housing, which will kill the feel and make it stick.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
trolli-gummy-bears-bulk.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

This was my thought also - Gummy Bears had their way with it. Figured I should be good once in a while tho! Thanks Cliff! :thumbup:

Couldn't find Gummies in time to beat Cliff! >> Last edited by Erci; Today at 08:04 AM. Reason: MotoG and Final beat me to the punch! :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to clarify, you cannot replace just the inner cable, you have to replace the entire cable (get OEM PLEASE, chinese knock offs generally don't fit right and stretch much quicker than OEM).

As posted above, disconnect at both ends and pull/push it. It should move freely. If not, it may be frayed inside or just rusted up.. Time for a new one..:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to clarify, you cannot replace just the inner cable, you have to replace the entire cable (get OEM PLEASE, chinese knock offs generally don't fit right and stretch much quicker than OEM).

As posted above, disconnect at both ends and pull/push it. It should move freely. If not, it may be frayed inside or just rusted up.. Time for a new one..:thumbup:

Excellent point! Thanks for bringing that up. I've actually never had to replace clutch cable on any of my bikes. I have done countless inner wire changes on bicycles. Did not realize same could not be done on a motorcycle.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

I went out on my lunch break to take a look again. It's back to normal?! Guess the lube on the lever itself was enough. Just needed a bit of time to work through whatever grime was holding it up. Definitely marking this thread for future reference though.

:rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent point! Thanks for bringing that up. I've actually never had to replace clutch cable on any of my bikes. I have done countless inner wire changes on bicycles. Did not realize same could not be done on a motorcycle.

I was kinda wondering where you got that. Yep, the motorcycles got both ends with the lead barrels already attached.

For the op, lube the cable if you haven't already done so. It will shift much easier, the pull easier and the cable will last longer too!

:Sport: