So, I Ran From the Police...

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, not exactly.

Let me explain.

I'm coming home around 9:30 at night from work, traffic is light, roads clear and dry, air comfortable.

I kid you not when I say that I ride like I am afraid my bike will magically slip-out from underneath me...I don't *actually* think it will, but my riding style would bore just about anyone but the casual Harley cruiser...I like to go slow, with the rare exception of bursts used to put cars where I want them; to give me the greatest sense of security.

If not more room to just toodle...

You know, filtering cars so you are not a little bump in the middle of a big pack of ravenous drivers trying to protect "their own" piece of road real-estate, whilst trying to "steal" someone else's.

Escaping the pack because you just *know* someone is going to do some self-interest stupid maneuver with so many bunched-up in a small space...

Anyhow, so this white minivan starts pacing me, never quite leaving my blindspot to my right on a two-lane road.

I stop, he stops...back "there."

I accelerate, he accelerates...and stays back "there."

We manage to catch like every light on the 26 mile trip home, including some that were never there before, and I haven't seen them since... ;)

Several times in my slow progress, a bunch of cars would catch-up to us, and I'd do a little burst to gain some space, to that point mostly from those stops where I can teleport from zero to ten-over, leaving them safely behind.

Until White Van catches up...back "there."

I get a little annoyed, and burst to about 80 on this two-lane, 45mph road, leaving him far behind. Back it down TO the limit, and proceed just happily onward.

Then White Van catches-up at the next light.

Another burst, another gap, another back-down-to-the-speed-limit.

Toodling along for a about a mile, I notice the headlights *again* sneaking into the right blind-spot.

Dammit. I lose my cool...102 indicated, lots of room, back down to the speed limit...headlights far in the distance. Happy now.

Doh! He's BACK!

Now we are moving into a construction zone, cutting down to one lane as a series of s-curves begin...he is creeping-up on the right - merge is to the left - no way Imma let this tool race-up and cut me off through construction zone...

(FYI - this is during "off" hours where no construction personnel are actually on-site.)

Burst to 89 indicated, safely negotiate the curves, leaving the headlights behind, only to get caught at the next light.

He catches-up again, and as I look at him in my mirror, it occurs to me this is no longer a mini-van, and that it has a lightbar... o_O

20 second count, lights go on.

He gets out yelling at me to turn off the bike, which I do, and then through my helmet I explain I will roll it off to the right behind the construction barricades, given we are at the end of an S-curve, in a merged lane construction-zone.

He says, "You better not run, Goddammitt!"

Well, to make this already too long story a bit shorter, several miles back White Van and Mr. Ossifer swapped positions, and he had me clocked over 100 in the 45.

At one point he admitted letting me go, but traffic cleared in his favor.

And so, there we were.

I explained the situation, once everything from my ear-plugs to 7 layers of body armor were off, and he went so far as to say, "I can understand why you were doing what you were doing when I came-up on you before the construction zone. But man, there is NO excuse for how fast you were going before."

He asked for my license and secured my legally-owned weapon, was SUPER cool and professional, wrote me for 60 in a 45, and even stuck around for a friendly chat.

Even let me slide on my as-of-yet un-updated plates since trading the Honda for the Yamaha.

Which, BTW, I took care-of the next day...

So, first MC ticket ever, first ticket in 12 years of any kind, BEST ticket I ever got.

And I didn't even get busted for running from the cops... ;)

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Good story, glad it all worked out OK.

One thought did cross my mind thought... Slower traffic keep right. I'd rather had let the dude in the minivan run behind me then in my blind spot, easier to keep an eye on and you wouldn't have had to have sped up so much to let other cars pass either. Now, if he had been running on my ass, well that's what the ball bearings in my pocket are for :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out of it safe and with such a minor ticket. This, however, is a perfect example of what not to do. Just pull over and wait next time.. especially since you say you're such a not-in-a-hurry rider.
I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just passing on what I've been taught to teach others in BRC and I fully believe it's the best advice in such situation.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out of it safe and with such a minor ticket. This, however, is a perfect example of what not to do. Just pull over and wait next time.. especially since you say you're such a not-in-a-hurry rider.
I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just passing on what I've been taught to teach others in BRC and I fully believe it's the best advice in such situation.

I agree with this. When someone is trailing me, I stay in front of them and slow to about 5 - 10 UNDER the speed limit and see if they go by me. If not, I pull over and make the decision that should they also pull over, am I calling the cops or going into battle mode. ATGATT, I'll start a fight! :D

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
To those who criticize the fact I did not step aside and let folks like this go, I say this...

...yeah, I know.

I let pride get the best of me. :spank:

Sometimes it just seems like they are BEGGING for you to give 'er a blast, know what I mean...?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Cops in the town next to mine are absolute a-holes... i pulled out about 3AM after a long 12 hour shift and manage to get the only cop on duty on my ass... yeah my exhaust is louder than a sewing machine but i don't really see that as an excuse to have the squad cars front bumper 3 ft away from my rear tyre. So i moved to the center stripe b/c i know how these guys can be... whats this cheeky bastard do? pulls slightly over the white line and moves CLOSER. I kid you not his headlight was about where my swingarm starts... i literally could have leaned back and touched his car... luckily he pulled off to turn around b/c we were out of town at that point... at which point i let my bike howl to show my displeasure for his crap... Bastards lucky i didn't have the cam on the bike...

Glad your experience turned out better.

However i don't agree with cops riding your ass to try and get you to mess up in front of them, dangerous ESPECIALLY to bikers!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made out ok. To echo what others have said, simply let the 'a-hole' pass you. Better to have an erratic driver in front of you, as you are better able to react to situations...

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 INFUSE using Tapatalk 2

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That's some story!! I am in agreement with Erci you could have handled it better.

One time last season, I had a young woman in a Camry pace me on one of the 3 lane parkways here. It got really annoying so I tried to give it the old burst of speed (which was a tepid 72mph). It was back and forth.. she would pace me from behind while following too close then get in the adjacent lane and pace. so, I got tired of it after maybe 5 minutes and pulled into the center lane, backed down my speed to around 63 and let her pass.

Then the state trooper pulls out from nowhere and follows me for about 10 seconds with me doing exactly the speed limit. I thought WTF!!! Next he pulls into left lane and pulls over the woman in the Camry. So sad, so sorry. She got what she deserved that day for F'ing with a motorcyclist. After my amazement subsided about what had just happened, I enjoyed a good laugh

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Daylight perhaps I'd play a bit more as you did, but at night that's just rolling the dice! Glad it worked out so well and you're safe and content with a fine so meager for the action. . . :spank:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Traffic sucks. Very interesting story, you lucked out for sure.

Good thing you weren't on an liter bike, they would have locked you up for life.