Sold the FZ6 . . .

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
. . . and got an '05 Wee-Strom, along with a HF Tag Along trailer. My wife (SV650) and I are headed to Nova Scotia on a camping trip.

IMG_1293.JPGIMG_0810.jpg

Joe

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations...I think? lol What made you go with the Vstrom (650 I'm guessing?). Did you grow tired of having to rev up for more power?

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations...I think? lol What made you go with the Vstrom (650 I'm guessing?). Did you grow tired of having to rev up for more power?

Yeah, this is the 650. I was looking for a couple of things, but mainly the ability to tow a cargo trailer. Also, as much as I enjoy the FZ6, I want to be more upright now. When I took the FZ6 a few years ago and did five back to back 500 mile days, I was very comfortable. Now, I feel the pressure on my arms and shoulder blades. The Wee is just more comfy.

Joe

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lost as to how you find the FZ6 uncomfortable. You're almost entirely upright - swap out an FZ1 bar or something and voila. Then again, to each his own.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lost as to how you find the FZ6 uncomfortable. You're almost entirely upright - swap out an FZ1 bar or something and voila. Then again, to each his own.

My comfort complaint is minor. If I didn't want to tow, I'd be keeping the FZ6. I have FZ1 bars with up and back risers, and have done plenty of long trips loving every mile. However, lately I've been feeling a little pinch between my shoulder blades after a couple hours. I'm 54, so I'm sure it's me . . .

Joe

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! The V Strom is a proven workhorse. I know you'll have fun with it. :)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, nothing wrong with the Wee Strom for riding gravel roads that the 6 wouldn't like.

So what's the plan? Bikes in a pickup and pull the trailer for camping?

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, nothing wrong with the Wee Strom for riding gravel roads that the 6 wouldn't like.

So what's the plan? Bikes in a pickup and pull the trailer for camping?

Nope, just riding. I pull the trailer with the V Strom, and my wife rides her SV650. We've camped before off the bikes, and I've carried a 100 liter dry bag on my back seat. It was limited storage and a little top heavy. Here's a previous trip when Holly had a GS500.

moto camping.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that you two ride together. My hubby and I enjoy riding together as well. He wants to camp on the bikes but I want a nice comfy bed and potty/shower when I'm done for the day. Enjoy your trip! Safe travels.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that you two ride together. My hubby and I enjoy riding together as well. He wants to camp on the bikes but I want a nice comfy bed and potty/shower when I'm done for the day. Enjoy your trip! Safe travels.

Thanks for the kind words. Holly's headlight in my mirrors is a great joy. Not to sell you on camping, but here is a rolling comfy king sized bed for sale on the motocampers forum.
2014 Roll A Home

Joe

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
glad to see you're still on 2 wheels and didn't walk away from riding as I see it often when people sell bikes, and it must feel awesome sharing this experience with her

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm with Monica on camping, roughing it is no room service ;) Never thought about pulling a trailer with a small bike bit I do pull a Bushtec trailer with my wing when my wife joins me on long distance rides. Let's see, there is the cooler, air jackets for hot days, rain gear, way more clothes than needed and most important the Keurig coffee maker because most hotel coffee sucks. Have fun!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Monica on camping, roughing it is no room service ;) Never thought about pulling a trailer with a small bike bit I do pull a Bushtec trailer with my wing when my wife joins me on long distance rides. Let's see, there is the cooler, air jackets for hot days, rain gear, way more clothes than needed and most important the Keurig coffee maker because most hotel coffee sucks. Have fun!

Wow, you're high maintenance. I'm happy to have a restaurant within walking distance. ;)

That's another reason to get the wife on her own bike :cheer:

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
You're coming to my province! Enjoy! We have amazing roads to ride. Hope you're headed to Cape Breton to go around the Cabot Trail!

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
You're coming to my province! Enjoy! We have amazing roads to ride. Hope you're headed to Cape Breton to go around the Cabot Trail!

We are indeed. If you have a camping recommendation, that would be great. Blomidon Provincial Park caught my attention.

Joe

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
We are indeed. If you have a camping recommendation, that would be great. Blomidon Provincial Park caught my attention.

Joe

Blomidon is great campground. There's also a great hike out on the end of that peninsula called Cape Split. On the Cabot Trail ; Broad Cove is a good campground (close to the beach) . Depending on which approach you take its either close to the end or just after the start of the National Park. There are also some hikes that are so long (ie- Fishermans Cove) in the park that you are allowed to camp at the end of them if you're willing to take all your gear with you
The trail is mind blowing. You're gonna love it! Watch out for moose!
PS- Don't be afraid to get lost in Cape Breton - you'll end up somewhere spectacular. And don't be afraid to ask for help. Extremely friendly people all over!

Last edited:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. The big difference is that I can tow with the V-Strom. As far as riding, the V-Strom is more upright with next to no weight on the arms. It is a little more top heavy, but handles very well, including low speed maneuvers. The suspension is adjustable all around, and I will play with that once I have it fully outfitted. I installed a hitch and Givi side racks. Today I will mount Ridgid tool boxes as panniers. ($79 vs $700 for bike bags) I love riding it so far, and think it is a better bike for me for extended trips. It came with a Givi Airflow adjustable windshield, which I think I will appreciate on long rides. I removed the adjustable part for local riding and get buffeting above 60 mph. I'll put up some pics to show my cheap-ass luggage setup later.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy to have a restaurant within walking distance. ;)

Yup, after a long day in the saddle, the last thing I want to do is have to ride in order to eat. The only thing that would be worse is to get supplies and then cook, then clean up.