Speedo/Tacho not working

Melissawoods

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
My speedo and tacho on my bike aren't working. Neutral light is on and everything else (light, blinkers horn etc) is all working. Checked the fuses and they are all right.
Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this before I take it to a bike shop?

Thank you

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
My speedo and tacho on my bike aren't working. Neutral light is on and everything else (light, blinkers horn etc) is all working. Checked the fuses and they are all right.
Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this before I take it to a bike shop?

Thank you

Hi and Welcome!
It sounds like a replay of this - same story -->> Gauge Cluster not working

Do you have enough mad skills to lift the tank and disconnect the battery to do some connector inspections? If so, read that thread, its going to be the same steps.

What year is the bike and what do you know of its past? When is the last time it worked? Is it stored outside? Has it been wrecked before and what if any accessories have been added?? All good things know to help us speculate what would cause this. Its VERY rare these bikes have a failure of any kind that isn't caused by something done to them. Hopefully its a simple fix!

Melissawoods

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that. It is a 2008 model, stored in a shed at all times, was working on Friday morning on the way to work and then just disappeared (very scary riding with no speedo and tacho and no other cars around.)
I have had the bike for about 2 years and the only thing the last person did was lower it by 2 inches.
I have the faring off of it at the moment and have been playing with all wires etc to make sure everything is plugged in.
I will follow link and see if that works.
Thank you

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know it was recently alive. Any sign of rodent intrusion? When is the last time the airbox / air filter was inspected? Those critters can do damage.

Have you ever seen moisture under the gauge lens?
- From the gauge there is a connecter at the fairing
- From the fairing to the ECU I believe is straight shot.
- While the fairing is off, remove the two tank bolts and lift the tank. Disconnect the battery Plug in on the left will do, and then remove the plugin from the ECU. Its the largest block with about 40 wires into it.

You're looking for corrosion, black, green, white and odd colors could indicate some form of damage. Inspect those other Connectors at the gauge and the fairing also.

EDIT: exhibit A... notice the clean black area with Gold pins vs the corroded area and discolored pins. Its that type of stuff you need to keep an eye on. Its from the thread link in the 2nd post.
52212d1393811009-07-fz6-cluster-not-working-image-3791878847-jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check that there is power with the key turn to the on position at the red with white tracer. This is also attached to the a red wire with a yellow tracer. If you cup the instrument or look at it in a dark area you should see it light up when the key is turned on. Do you see the light? If not then keyed power to the instrument cluster has been interrupted. Likely the red with white tracer wire would not show voltage with the key in the on position. If it does show voltage the cluster assembly may have lost power through a circuit board land/path internally. The red with yellow tracer wire will show power at all times. This is the backup power source for the clock. :)

Melissawoods

Reaction score
Visit site
Checked all connectors, had front end off and checked all wires. Still nothing. The bike runs and rides but just no speedo and tacho. Maybe a relay?? I have no idea and am really frustrated now. Think I may have to take it to the bike shop.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check the wires according to color code that I suggested?

Indicator lights will work in the instrument cluster but the multiprocessor internal to the unit must have power on the red with white tracer wire when the key is turned to on. If you cover the readout and turn the key on does the readout have a light that turns on to illuminated it? If there is no illumination there may be no power from that red/white wire. If the wire shows 12 VDC then the problem is probably internal to the instrument cluster....

alexfabian

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issues right now, would appreciate it if you could reply to this post and let me know what the fault was if you have had it fixed/repaired it yourself.

Thanks