Speedometer Microcracks

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
Old speedometer on 2005 fz6. I made the mistake of pressing to hard on it to clean, and now its hard to see the revs, read the mileage, still totally possible , but less so when moving. Looking for a cheap fix. Sure I could buy a full speedo replacement via ebay, but that comes with its own problems. I can apply some oil on top to make it a little better but with the sun and heat, its lucky to last a few days. Note this bike is stored outside, so any fix will need to be able to stand the abuse (sunlight, heat, rain)

This is the GEN 1 speedometer (circular)

Is there a way to replace the plastic only?

Is there a way to force it into "night mode" seems much more readable when backlit?

maybe possible to remove plastic but still needs to protect the components from moisture, etc

Anyone else had this issue? Something maybe I am missing?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on how bad it is, it may be possible (as noted above) to restore it, just like an automotive plastic head light lens.

Really bad plastic's are wet SANDED with a course paper and then gradually with a lighter grit and lighter grit, etc. Eventually polished out with a plastic cleaner.

Being such a small area this may be difficult.

Using one of those "polishing balls" that attaches to your drill motor should make things easier...

The end process: https://itstillruns.com/clean-faded-plastic-headlight-lens-5645707.html

Last edited: