Speedometer shows 299 km/h :o

Ugle

Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt you're having a cross talk problem between the speed sensor and rpm sensor.
The one thing that bothers me is that it seems you are reporting an unstable voltage source. You can't really count on other tests if you have voltages that should be stable in the nominal 12 vdc range jumping down to 6 or 7 volts. Fix what ever is causing those low readings first because that could very likely be the source of your instrument problem.
It could be due to so many starts and stops in my garage. I didn't see it when I first got the bike a few weeks ago. I think my measurement was originally 12.2v not running, then around 13 something on idle, and 14,04v when running the throttle a bit. But hey, could be that I touched some loose wire or such. Will investigate this throughly tomorrow.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It could be due to so many starts and stops in my garage. I didn't see it when I first got the bike a few weeks ago. I think my measurement was originally 12.2v not running, then around 13 something on idle, and 14,04v when running the throttle a bit. But hey, could be that I touched some loose wire or such. Will investigate this throughly tomorrow.

You might have a bad battery. The static voltage should be 12.6V, mid-13’s at idle and 14.2 to 14.4 at 5000 rpm. Charge that battery up and let it sit over night and check the static voltage before a start and then after a brief start (only let it run for a few seconds).

Wiewie

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you found anything?
I have the exact same problem With my fz6-n 07
The speedometer shows quiet accurate 3X the actual speed and the fuel meter always empty..

I have had it at a local dealer and they have changed the tacho sensor without any sucess.

Ugle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I aquired a second-hand meter from a chop-shop. The RPM counter was OK after that. I haven't tested the measurement of the speedometer yet. But RPM's were about 5k idle on old meter, ~1k on new. If it happens again I would consider replacing the ECU.

I actually cut open my old meter unit to examine the circuit board - No visual issues spotted, like burn-marks or bloated condensators. Beats me what this problem could be.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The instrument gets it's information via a single wire. It is the data line that carries the digitized data from the ECU to the instrument cluster CPU. Make sure the plug assembly to the cluster is clean and void of any possible salt contaminates.

Wiewie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!
To find a matching second-hand or even a original meter seems to be easier Said than done… Both me and the dealer cant find anyone. Apparantly 06-07 had a different type of meter.

Just to keep looking I guess!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!
To find a matching second-hand or even a original meter seems to be easier Said than done… Both me and the dealer cant find anyone. Apparantly 06-07 had a different type of meter.

Just to keep looking I guess!

You can use the S2 instrument cluster! Interchangeable.

Ugle

Reaction score
Visit site
You can use the S2 instrument cluster! Interchangeable.
Yes, the one I acquired is a S2 meter with Abs light (always on with red color).
The wire harness between meter and ecu has two connectors (maybe three?) that I know of. One on the back of the meter and one on the left side of the bike, between the side panel and the chassis. Could be worth cleaning both. I tried, without any effect.

@Motogiro is it possible to replace the ecu unit on these without changing any other parts (immobilizer, key slot)?