Spent some money on the old girl

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
I got some very good advice in my thread titled “New Bike Time?”, especially from Bigborer. Rather then spend $10k on a new bike I’ve decided to spend a fraction of that on complementary upgrades to the FZ6.

Today I ordered an Öhlins STX46 (model YA403) shock. The shock has adjustable rebound damping and the spring is infinitely adjustable for preload. The shock is shipped with a spring rate suitable for the rider (in my case 175 pounds). I’m not happy about it being an Emulsion Shock, but my bike is ridden 100% on the street and I don’t think cavitation is an issue for street bikes. This shock should complement my forks with GVE’s quite well.

I also ordered a fresh set of Dunlop Q3+ tires. I was torn between a sport bike tire and a sport touring tire such as the T31 or Road 5’s. I currently have Dunlop Qualifiers on my FZ and I really like them. They warm up within a mile and give great feedback. In the end I decided I wanted great grip over great wear. the newer Q’s are supposed to wear long and have linear turn in.

I’ll post photos as I get stuff.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
I am a lot further from replacing my FZ then you were, but the few times I entertained the idea, I could not think about something I would spend a lot of money on that would be that much better than what I expected from the FZ.

I am so tempted to pull the trigger on the Ohlins, but my REAL interest is in the Q3+'s. I have been using Metzler M7 RRs and have been pretty happy with the grip level and have been getting just shy of 7,000 miles on a set.

So a question to those who have some history with the Dunlops.... How many miles do you get from the Q3+? I realize that mileage will vary, but I'd like to see what the spread is.

Thanks

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
I got an email from solomotoparts that my shock is on back order and delayed 2-3 weeks. I t was supposed to arrive today. No problem, my bike isn't gonna see the streets for another 8-10 weeks. I can wait. In the mean time I need to make a small bracket to keep my instrument cluster from vibrating. I might re-wire the headlights too. Right now I'm running two H4 LED's that are always on high-beem. I might see about replacing one with a H7. I'm gonna have to take it all apart to figure it out because I can't recall if or how I hacked the OEM light harness.

Paul Myrus

Hey Gary, well done sticking with the fizzy, the only bike I'd replace my FZ6 07 is a street triple, I was test driving the new models last summer but was a bit squeezed onto the bike, I'm 6.2ft I was surprised how small the bike was, My FZ6 fits like a glove , your getting Ohlins rear excellent, what have you got on the front Gary? Aftermarket springs or R6 change over forks?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Paul, the forks have RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators and 0.85kg/mm springs. I’m using 15wt fork oil with an air gap of 130mm. I also installed adjustable fork caps for preload adjustment. I’m very pleased with the performance of the forks.