Spent some money on the old girl

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Parts Unlimited HJT12B-FP (catalog number 2113-0685) @ $158.95. It's a no-frills battery. For some reason it's listed as a Li-Ion battery, but the chemistry is Lithium Iron Phosphate. I wanted a battery with cut-off electronics, but couldn't find one that had the fitment I wanted - t the price I wanted. The Parts Unlimited battery is sized the same as an YT12B-BS battery so the battery cover can be retained.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the bike out today. Just a few miles. I was hyper sensitive about the ride because it's only 55 degrees out, the tires are new...and I hate breaking in new tires - especially on a cold road. I haven't taken any time to set sag or make any other adjustments. Nor did my 5 miles ride take me over any unsettled roads.

So nothing to report other than the bike rolls down the road. Hopefully I'll have a 70+ day next week to properly scrub in the tires. My son will be home for spring break this weekend so he can help me set sag. With 5.1 inches of rear suspension travel (130mm) I'll be shooting for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches (32-39mm) of total sag.

Oh, I also installed a LiFePO4 battery. Damn that starter motor spins now. Even the fuel pump sounded happier during prime.

I'll be interested in your experience with the the shock upgrade. I have GVEs and Racetech springs for my weight up front, but the shock is totally factory and probably very soft as compared to the improved front end.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Ohlins shock has a firmer, but better dampened ride than the OEM shock. I haven't taken the time to adjust the rebound yet, but I think with just a few clicks I'm hoping I can go to a firm yet plush ride. That's the holy grail.

The Q3+'s are scrubbed in and are a joy. Of course they have a very stiff sidewall and I suspect that if you are riding on Sport Touring tires the bike will provide a more comfortable ride. I only know this bike with Dunlop Qualifiers, so I'm use to a stiff(er) ride.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After living with the Ohlins shock for a month now I have to say that I like it. Given its cost I wasn’t completely happy with it when I first installed it. I backed off the rebound 1 click and thought it was an improvement, so I backed it out an additional click and found the sweet spot. The ride is firm, yet well controlled. In fact, to keep the ride in balance I ended up backing off the compression on the forks by a 1/8 turn.

I think the shock was a good investment. I wasn’t happy spending $600 on a emulsion shock, but for a bike used 100% on the street, it’s not going to overheat and cavitate.

Last edited:

ocdober

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, so is the Ohlins worth the money?? Will the ride feel more stable and secure? Most of the time I don't feel secure not like when I'm riding my FJR. I know it won't change the bike but I wish to improve it.

I don't do tracks so the Ohlins front springs will do the job despite not being graded as the race tech per rider weight. But here in EU it's best to get the ohlins because of postage (mostly with the current covid19 situation) and other duties.

Thanks for your feedback

ride safe

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet new threads Gary
I was supposed to get a new set for my baby today......but working nights kinda made it difficult to wake up, there’s always the weekend
Loving the Ohlins, still got stocks on mine but been contemplating on the R6 fork swap

ocdober

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback.. bought them yesterday, now waiting delivery. hope won't be delayed much with the current covid situation as can't wait to fit them.. bought the front springs and oil too

ocdober

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Today I fitted the rear shock in place it was a smooth job. this coming week will change the front springs and oil.

After I changed the rear shock to Ohlins I noted that, on the FZ6 it's impossible to adjust the prelaod in place. Am I right? Honestly I still have to check the sag and test ride.

anyone managed to to insert the C spanner and turn the nuts?

Thanks for your help

ocdober

Reaction score
Visit site
When I went to adjust my preload I found that it was dead-on perfect, so I never had to insert the spanner. I got lucky. Don’t be afraid to adjust the preload, I found that backing off just two clicks improves the ride quality. And that one is easy to get to.

Thanks for your quick reply. Hopefully there's no need to set.. I will check the sag once I have installed the front springs too. True the rebound knob is easy to reach.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I went to adjust my preload I found that it was dead-on perfect, so I never had to insert the spanner. I got lucky. Don’t be afraid to adjust the preload, I found that backing off just two clicks improves the ride quality. And that one is easy to get to.
As I wait for my Ohlins shock to arrive later today, and I stare out over my un-mounted Dunlop Q3+'s , It has dawned on me that I have become a @Gary in NJ groupie! Woe is me :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got my Ohlins shock! It looks like the lower mount is a little different than the stock shock. I assume that I install the spacer on the stock lower bolt before I insert the bolt/spacer into the swingarm and through the shocks lower mount. I got that right.....right?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got my Ohlins shock! It looks like the lower mount is a little different than the stock shock. I assume that I install the spacer on the stock lower bolt before I insert the bolt/spacer into the swingarm and through the shocks lower mount. I got that right.....right?

I think that is correct. Let me find my posts on the subject…I remember having a heck of a time removing the bushing…

fazerkid78

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the bike out today. Just a few miles. I was hyper sensitive about the ride because it's only 55 degrees out, the tires are new...and I hate breaking in new tires - especially on a cold road. I haven't taken any time to set sag or make any other adjustments. Nor did my 5 miles ride take me over any unsettled roads.

So nothing to report other than the bike rolls down the road. Hopefully I'll have a 70+ day next week to properly scrub in the tires. My son will be home for spring break this weekend so he can help me set sag. With 5.1 inches of rear suspension travel (130mm) I'll be shooting for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches (32-39mm) of total sag.

Oh, I also installed a LiFePO4 battery. Damn that starter motor spins now. Even the fuel pump sounded happier during prime.
Sweet! My bike has almost new (treadwise) tires that are 10 years old and hard as a rock so I'm getting some new rubber put on Friday. I got caught in light rain the other day and my rear tire got a little slidey on me. I will have to try one of those batteries myself. I just adjusted my preload to roughly set the sag for my 265lb fat butt. Happy Riding! The FZ6 will take you anywhere you want to go!