Squeaking breaks

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody!

I have an '09 with about 2500 mi on. A few hundred miles ago I noticed the front breaks started squeaking when I apply them. The squeak has gradually become more consistent, and today it comes on unless I fully apply the breaks, grab a handful sort of say.

Any thoughts on what this might be due to, and how I can fix it?

Thank you all for your help!

:thumbup:

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar problem and still kinda do. Didnt start happening til after my track days with the stock pads. Little squeak and then progressed to a really loud one to where I was heard before i was seen.

A possible fix is to take the pads off and brake clean the rotors and the pads themself. Clean the rotors til you just about get no more black on the rag. Then clean the pads, little brake clean on them and wipe them off a few times. This helped mine but it didnt completely fix the problem, there is still a slight squeak from my brakes, even at 10k on the pads.

Not a huge fan of the stock pads, they work and last but I need something with a bit more bite and feel. Stockers just dont do that. Upgrading to semi-metallic from Carbone Lorraine. :thumbup:

Perhaps if the cleaning of the rotors and pads dont fix the problem clean the calipers as well and make sure they disengage all the way. No the considered the best idea but you could also switch the pads around and see if that will do anything about the noise. I cleaned mine and forgot which pads went where and just put them back in, squeak went away for awhile. Came back but they're due for a change anyway. If they still squeak if you can afford it try a different set of pads.

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar problem and still kinda do. Didnt start happening til after my track days with the stock pads. Little squeak and then progressed to a really loud one to where I was heard before i was seen.

A possible fix is to take the pads off and brake clean the rotors and the pads themself. Clean the rotors til you just about get no more black on the rag. Then clean the pads, little brake clean on them and wipe them off a few times. This helped mine but it didnt completely fix the problem, there is still a slight squeak from my brakes, even at 10k on the pads.

Not a huge fan of the stock pads, they work and last but I need something with a bit more bite and feel. Stockers just dont do that. Upgrading to semi-metallic from Carbone Lorraine. :thumbup:

Perhaps if the cleaning of the rotors and pads dont fix the problem clean the calipers as well and make sure they disengage all the way. No the considered the best idea but you could also switch the pads around and see if that will do anything about the noise. I cleaned mine and forgot which pads went where and just put them back in, squeak went away for awhile. Came back but they're due for a change anyway. If they still squeak if you can afford it try a different set of pads.

Thanks wyotech kid, I appreciate the advice! :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hi everybody!

I have an '09 with about 2500 mi on. A few hundred miles ago I noticed the front breaks started squeaking when I apply them. The squeak has gradually become more consistent, and today it comes on unless I fully apply the breaks, grab a handful sort of say.

Any thoughts on what this might be due to, and how I can fix it?

Thank you all for your help!

:thumbup:

Squeaking and squealing are caused by the pads 'chattering' on the disc. The frequency is so high, the vibrations come across as noise.

On a new bike (like yours) this is typically caused by the pads having developed a 'glaze'. Light application of the brakes rather than a healthy 'bite', so to speak.

If you are feeling mechanically inclined, I would take the pads out, and lightly sand them to roughen the surfaces. Re-install, and bleed the brakes thoroughly.

There's supposed to be some metallic clips installed between the pads and the caliper, to absorb that vibration before it can get transmitted into the air. (anti rattle clips). A really simple spring that absorbs the mechanical energy.

From there, if you still have noise, you can add brake grease -- which isn't a grease at all in the normal sense. This is applied between the caliper piston, and the backs of the pads, so the vibrations are dampened at that point.