Arching / Rattling sound when accelerating - sound like its coming from the stator

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my breaker bar, that nut came right off :D - Adjusted the chain last night to 2". Not really any difference as it wasn't too far out of spec. Maybe a bit smoother on the throttle. Definitely not worse. I have no idea what lube the previous owner used but wow it really is potent. PITA to clean, got a lot of it out but still shows smearing in some areas. Nasty stuff.

Still has a metal on metal grind sound when applying throttle. Has to be with the chain/sprocket as it only happens when the chain is moving (not at idle/revving). Lets hope the chain lube helps :) Should be here this week.

Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

This chain lube is awesome, I really like it already over what I was using. Used a chain cleaner first, scrubbed the chain clean. It looked new. Applied to thorough coats of the Honda stuff and i've never seen a chain look so good. Did the same thing to my 250. Going to stock up :)

However the chain noise is still there, it not change at all. I'm just living with it for now.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This chain lube is awesome, I really like it already over what I was using. Used a chain cleaner first, scrubbed the chain clean. It looked new. Applied to thorough coats of the Honda stuff and i've never seen a chain look so good. Did the same thing to my 250. Going to stock up :)

However the chain noise is still there, it not change at all. I'm just living with it for now.

Do Not live with it. If you suspect a driveline problem you should have it repaired. You'd be lucky if you only throw a chain. In too many cases, a thrown chain blows a hole in the engine casing. Worst case is you suffering going down because of a wheel lock up.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Do Not live with it. If you suspect a driveline problem you should have it repaired. You'd be lucky if you only throw a chain. In too many cases, a thrown chain blows a hole in the engine casing. Worst case is you suffering going down because of a wheel lock up.

^^^THIS.

A rattling sound will go away...and it does...when things fail.

Excellent advice, I worded it wrong. I believe the noise I have is a natural sound of the chain being pushed by the front sprocket. I've looked at countless forum posts and videos of all sorts of failing chain/sprocket problems. I cannot find one video that has a casual metal on metal tinny sound only on acceleration. All the videos I have seen have a failure at all times on sprocket/chain movement. The bike is very clean and such low miles/visible wear. I really don't think there is anything wrong with it. Following your advice I will have it checked out at the bike shop in the next few weeks.

I posted a video before and while the wind noise covers a lot of the sound, I can hear it towards the middle. https://streamable.com/mto7r

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It won't play for me..

Question, is the plastic chain guard , over the swing arm (right by the frame, just before the front sprocket) still there?

Just for safety's sake, if you can, pull the rear wheel off and check all the wheel bearings. There's also a bearing in the REAR sprocket/hub carrier.
I doubt there's an issue BUT with the low miles, something is still amiss.

While that's half apart, pull the chain off the rear sprocket, set it aside on the swingarm and tighten the axle back up. Spin the wheel, just checking for noises, roughness, etc. With the chain loose, I'd also spin the front sprocket (with the chain off), just feeling for any slop, etc. Doesn't take one guy to over tighten the chain and screw up a bearing doing so...

Grease, rubber, etc, is still TEN YEARS OLD..

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It won't play for me..

Question, is the plastic chain guard , over the swing arm (right by the frame, just before the front sprocket) still there?

Just for safety's sake, if you can, pull the rear wheel off and check all the wheel bearings. There's also a bearing in the REAR sprocket/hub carrier.
I doubt there's an issue BUT with the low miles, something is still amiss.

While that's half apart, pull the chain off the rear sprocket, set it aside on the swingarm and tighten the axle back up. Spin the wheel, just checking for noises, roughness, etc. With the chain loose, I'd also spin the front sprocket (with the chain off), just feeling for any slop, etc. Doesn't take one guy to over tighten the chain and screw up a bearing doing so...

Grease, rubber, etc, is still TEN YEARS OLD..

Alright, the noise has my attention again. Can someone who goes on a ride next do me a favor and when moving about ~20MPH+ angle the bike with the right hand grip towards the ground a bit (safely obviously) to expose the left side of the engine a bit. While doing this safely, focus a bit of attention to the front sprocket area. Give the bike a bit of throttle (5%-15% or more) and listen for newly introduced sounds. Listen for a high pitched sound of a washer dancing/vibrating. In my case the sound goes away in ALL other cases other than acceleration by the engine.

I followed some quick directions from you Townsend, while I didn't have time to remove the rear tire I did put it on the center stands. Spinning the tire as fast as I could there was no noise from the front sprocket but the rear tire was showing some suspicious noises. Yes, the rubber chain guide is on the swing arm and is healthy.

I checked the slack and in the area that the frame/swing arm meet (where the manual points to measure the chain), the chain can hit the top of the swing arm. Too loose. I recently adjusted the chain and I do not think I let the chain that loose. I just can't remember. A few inches down towards the rear sprocket the chain does not have enough slack to hit the bottom of the swing arm. This is really starting to sound like rookie night :/ - Checked the torque on the nuts of the rear sprocket, ALL in spec. Did not need tightening. Rear swing arm (axle) nut is also in spec, was NOT loose.

Mind you in this video, it's on the center stand. What do you think of these noises? https://streamable.com/livcm

Edit - Also worth mentioning. I've seen people with the bike on the centerstand hop on it, put the bike in gear, and accelerate the rear tire. When I tried that the bike was pissed and was bouncing what appeared to be due to chain slack. This was before I re-adjusted (loosened) the chain even more thinking it was too tight.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the sound in the above video is just the sound of the chain rollers making contact with the sprocket.

I went back and listened to the video you first posted of the guy rev'ing his bike. That unusual noise, is simply sympathetic vibrations from something that is lose. The thing about sympathetic vibrations, unless you are looking at the item that is vibrating, it can be damn-near impossible to determine where the sound emanates because the part (or parts) of the bike bike that are vibrating create other parts that vibrate and the bike itself becomes the resonator or speaker. It could be the exhaust, or a bracket, or a through bolt...

You're gonna have to check fitment/torque on easily accessible parts, and from there just start disassembling things and checking fitment and torque.

But before you do that, grab a stethoscope and place it on the engine case where you think the noise might be coming from. Get the bike to make the noise and determine if its actually coming from where you think it is. If you don't have access to a stethoscope (everybody knows a nurse, right?) you can use a glass and wooden dowel.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will say I used that dupont chain saver (aka chain destroyer) and man the chain was loud.

In the beginning you mentioned you hear it when you lean.
I'd hazard to guess you hear as you pop your knee and leg away from the bike. Try it going straight and you notice that when tucked, your leg blocks or absorbs a bit of sound.

Here is a ride along audio as mp3.... Normal sounds.

https://m.soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/2015-09-15p1x-tips-out2bro

Hear that slight whine? Pretty normal.

Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So the sound in the above video is just the sound of the chain rollers making contact with the sprocket.

I went back and listened to the video you first posted of the guy rev'ing his bike. That unusual noise, is simply sympathetic vibrations from something that is lose. The thing about sympathetic vibrations, unless you are looking at the item that is vibrating, it can be damn-near impossible to determine where the sound emanates because the part (or parts) of the bike bike that are vibrating create other parts that vibrate and the bike itself becomes the resonator or speaker. It could be the exhaust, or a bracket, or a through bolt...

You're gonna have to check fitment/torque on easily accessible parts, and from there just start disassembling things and checking fitment and torque.

But before you do that, grab a stethoscope and place it on the engine case where you think the noise might be coming from. Get the bike to make the noise and determine if its actually coming from where you think it is. If you don't have access to a stethoscope (everybody knows a nurse, right?) you can use a glass and wooden dowel.

Glad to hear that noise was normal. I ran through a lot of the open bolts and torqued them to spec. I did not touch the exhaust though, which I will look at tonight. The frame bolts were a tad loose, everything else was solid. I just don't understand how it only happens when accelerating, not cruising/revving.

I have some time tonight to take another look. Plan on replacing/adjusting the rear pads and adjust the rear brake pedal brake light switch tonight as well. Heck I may even try to get another video of the noise.

I will say I used that dupont chain saver (aka chain destroyer) and man the chain was loud.

In the beginning you mentioned you hear it when you lean.
I'd hazard to guess you hear as you pop your knee and leg away from the bike. Try it going straight and you notice that when tucked, your leg blocks or absorbs a bit of sound.

Here is a ride along audio as mp3.... Normal sounds.

https://m.soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/2015-09-15p1x-tips-out2bro

Hear that slight whine? Pretty normal.

Fully cleaned/lubed the chain, no difference honestly on my end. Been using chain saver (destroyer lol) for 4+ years on my Ninja 250, chain noise never crossed my mind. Never heard it, but it is half the size as the FZ6

You are right, it is when I lean or stick my head in safe manner towards that area (and stick my knee out). Standing straight up I do not hear it, unless I am looking for it. Especially with the exhaust :D

I do not hear the sound in your video but I do hear the accelerating whine. What I'm looking for is a washer dancing/vibrating sound or an electrical arch sound.

MIJ_FZ6, where do you live? Any chance of an experienced member hearing this?

I'm in Chicago - I do not know of any experienced riders other than a repair shop by me. The guy is pretty cool, might even get lucky and he can take it around the block without having to leave it for a few days. He said he is a big R6 guy and has been profesionally working as a performance engine builder for 6+ years and over 10+ years of professional motorcycle repair service.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That clicking, turning the wheel back and forth, I DON'T have that noise (if I did the same thing).

I agree it sounds like the rollers and that chain, is super clean but looks dry of lube (I know you lubed it).

Is the chain adjusted EXACTLY per the manual, 2" TOTAL up at down at the rear, lower end of the plastic chain, swingarm chain guard?

What knowledge do you have of the PO maintaining that chain? 4,000 miles is low but a BUNCH IF the chain was never lubed in that time frame.

The PO of mine, lubed the chain ONCE in the 4,500 miles BEFORE I got it. It did last until 12,000 miles and then it was done..