Arching / Rattling sound when accelerating - sound like its coming from the stator

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed this sound since I got the bike - 09 with 4K miles, especially when leaning the bike to the right. Do not hear it when leaning the bike to the left (left handle bar towards the pavement). I'm not sure if it is getting louder or I'm just starting to notice it more. I installed the FZ07 Clutch Slave Lever (which is great so far) and I thought it may have been that but it is not.

Problem: Sound is only apparent when in gear and the bike is moving (clutch is released). Revving the engine in neutral does not reproduce the sound. The sound begins at ~4K RPMS and and I cannot tell if it continues past 8K due to engine noise. I thought it was a loose bolt and the washer was dancing/vibrating but it's too consistent to reproduce. Looking at it this morning it is definitely coming from the Stator area.

Sound: Sounds almost like electricity arching. Could also be compared to a washer vibrating on a loose bolt, or just a generic thing piece of metal vibrating on metal. It's a TSSSSSSSSSS sound that increases with engine RPMs. Not a fluid/vacuum leak sound. I thought it may have been the plate on top of the brake caliper that holds the pin but I dont think it is.

Notes: Bike runs fine as far as I can tell. I do keep the battery connected to a battery tender Junior (0.75A). I recently connected a battery tender quick disconnect, the screws are on there tight. No burning smell that I can tell. No problems with the battery that made me do this, just wanted to have it.

Unless I'm no good at searching I can't find too much data on this topic. I did find a lot of data about the Yamaha Tick, but I'm pretty this isn't it. That sounded more like the valves tapping which I know is normal. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

This is a video of my sound problem, although it is different from what you described this ended up as a Stator and Starter rebuild, so since you mentioned you think the sound is coming from the Stator area maybe it's worth a look;
https://youtu.be/wft3qoBnT1s

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

This is a video of my sound problem, although it is different from what you described this ended up as a Stator and Starter rebuild, so since you mentioned you think the sound is coming from the Stator area maybe it's worth a look;
https://youtu.be/wft3qoBnT1s

Thanks for the feedback. It's in the ballpark of that sound however it is a little bit different. The sound is not apparent when not in gear and has bit more of a metal on metal rattle. It's also making the noise on the other side.

Out of curiosity, how much did this set you back and were you able to fix it yourself?

I'll try to get a video of it, kind of hard to ride and hold the phone though. We'll see what others have to say.

Edit- Ran around youtube. Theres are not the sounds (most of which are apparent when the bike is not moving/reving in neutral)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ELXD9GQXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkvhWnN5Nvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVW7UXQLPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjahuRUVBys

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, the stator is on the left side of the bike - so if you say it is opposite from my video then we are talking about the clutch instead?

Regarding the cost, I live in Croatia (EU), the cost of parts&labor might be slightly different :D

Do you have a center stand? - You might consider putting the bike on it, right hand firmly on the front brake (just in case) and film the noise with your left.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, the stator is on the left side of the bike - so if you say it is opposite from my video then we are talking about the clutch instead?

Regarding the cost, I live in Croatia (EU), the cost of parts&labor might be slightly different :D

Do you have a center stand? - You might consider putting the bike on it, right hand firmly on the front brake (just in case) and film the noise with your left.

Good point,I'll give that a shot on the centerstand.

It's on the left side of the bike, opposite from the clutch. This thing (not my photo):

p1120111.jpg

Edit 2 - Just took it out for lunch, really isn't that bad. Started to kind of go away but became slightly apparent when I leaned the bike. Going to go over it it a fine tooth comb tonight.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your sprocket nut under the plastic cover... Not likely with your year, but the older bikes has issues with the sprocket nut coming loose.

Also, there's two wires running down the back of the stator cover, DO NOT PINCH THOSE when re-attaching the sprocket cover (VERY EASY to do).

Check the engine to frame mounting bolts as well (40 lbs/ ft). They can loosen over time.

As noted, a audio / video on the CC may help.

Just as a side noted, Yamaha puts some SERIOUS Loctite on the screws that hold the stator to the cover (as well as one retainer screw).

If you haven't tried it already, go around the bike(the suspect area first), banging the bike / frame / etc with the meaty part of your hand(between the top of your hand and palm). If there's a loose screw loud enough to hear while riding, I suspect you may find it this way...

Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your sprocket nut under the plastic cover... Not likely with your year, but the older bikes has issues with the sprocket nut coming loose.

Also, there's two wires running down the back of the stator cover, DO NOT PINCH THOSE when re-attaching the sprocket cover (VERY EASY to do).

Check the engine to frame mounting bolts as well (40 lbs/ ft). They can loosen over time.

Just as a side noted, Yamaha puts some SERIOUS Loctite on the screws that hold the stator to the cover (as well as one retainer screw).

If you haven't tried it already, go around the bike(the suspect area first), banging the bike / frame / etc with the meaty part of your hand(between the top of your hand and palm). If there's a lose screw loud enough to hear while riding, I suspect you may find it this way...

You da man :) Will do thanks for the info!

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

If you haven't tried it already, go around the bike(the suspect area first), banging the bike / frame / etc with the meaty part of your hand(between the top of your hand and palm). If there's a loose screw loud enough to hear while riding, I suspect you may find it this way...

Went over it last night. No video to show because I could not replicate the sound on the stand. I put it on the stand and slowly gave it a bit of throttle in first gear. Bike didn't like it at all. The chain started bouncing causing a very uncomfortable disturbance. In an effort to get the sound to replicate I went ahead an still brought the RPMs up. Darn thing wasn't making the noise! It's a good thing and a bad thing haha

I printed out all the torque specs from the service manual and went to town. All but one frame bolt/nut was at spec. Tightened everything up to 40lbs/ft as stated in the service manual. Checked a few other bolts, everything else accessible was torqued to spec.

I'm fairly certain the sound is coming from the stator OR the front drive sproket area. I took the sprocket cover off (I really need to clean this area up with a de-greaser) and everything looked alright to the naked eye. I do not have a socket big enough for the sprocket so I could not verify it's torque. Rode the bike this morning to work and I could only hear the sound if I leaned the bike to the right or stuck my head near the stator area. Strange.

Here is a video I found that has a similar sound, however once again the sound does not appear at idle/reving the engine. ONLY when in gear/accelerating - usually past 4k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqC2WaalS4

Bike runs solid, sounds great at idle and even with some casual revs. For the time being I'm going to chalk this up as normal for the time being. If it get's worse I'll try to snap a video

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Went over it last night. No video to show because I could not replicate the sound on the stand. I put it on the stand and slowly gave it a bit of throttle in first gear. Bike didn't like it at all. The chain started bouncing causing a very uncomfortable disturbance. In an effort to get the sound to replicate I went ahead an still brought the RPMs up. Darn thing wasn't making the noise! It's a good thing and a bad thing haha

I printed out all the torque specs from the service manual and went to town. All but one frame bolt/nut was at spec. Tightened everything up to 40lbs/ft as stated in the service manual. Checked a few other bolts, everything else accessible was torqued to spec.

I'm fairly certain the sound is coming from the stator OR the front drive sproket area. I took the sprocket cover off (I really need to clean this area up with a de-greaser) and everything looked alright to the naked eye. I do not have a socket big enough for the sprocket so I could not verify it's torque. Rode the bike this morning to work and I could only hear the sound if I leaned the bike to the right or stuck my head near the stator area. Strange.

Here is a video I found that has a similar sound, however once again the sound does not appear at idle/reving the engine. ONLY when in gear/accelerating - usually past 4k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqC2WaalS4

Bike runs solid, sounds great at idle and even with some casual revs. For the time being I'm going to chalk this up as normal for the time being. If it get's worse I'll try to snap a video
I wonder if it's sprague clutch noise you're hearing from the area you described. Could be if the sprague clutch dirty it engages the starter armature intermittantly. Maybe remove the starter and check that that area is clean and free of grime.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried to take a video, it's hard to hear because of all the wind. I longer think it is the strator, rather the chain doing it's thing. I might be having a noob moment and this is a natural sound. Listen for the high pitch rattle noise if you're able to make it out. I can barely hear it. Regardless I have some photos too :

Video: https://streamable.com/mto7r

Photos:

20180718_205846_resized.jpg

20180718_205928_resized.jpg

20180718_210320_resized.jpg

20180718_210328_resized.jpg

20180718_210412_resized.jpg

20180718_210525_resized.jpg

20180718_210555_resized.jpg

20180718_210637_resized.jpg

20180718_210736_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180718_211149_resized.jpg
    20180718_211149_resized.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if it's sprague clutch noise you're hearing from the area you described. Could be if the sprague clutch dirty it engages the starter armature intermittantly. Maybe remove the starter and check that that area is clean and free of grime.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

I just looked up a few videos. All the videos had the sound when the engine was idling. The sound I have is only when the engine is laboring/moving which is leading towards chain related. What do you think?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't hear the noise with the wind...

It's hard to tell how much play you have but it does appear to be too tight.

First, put your ruler right under rear edge of the plastic /swingarm chain guard (measurements are from there).

Measure and find the tightest point of the chain (just watch the chain and ruler-you'll see the tightest part)

Re measuring, I've found a "tape measure" to work the best and most accurate. Pick one chain PIN as your reference point.
now, push up moderately and center your ruler on THAT PIN. Now, don't move the ruler and push down on that pin (ruler is thin and in front of the chain so you can see it).

That, is your total play.

I find 2" exactly works the best, 1.75", too tight AND the chain should be clean and lubed. 1.5" play will whine. As your accelerating, the swing arm is "coming up", making the chain even tighter...

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't hear the noise with the wind...

It's hard to tell how much play you have but it does appear to be too tight.

First, put your ruler right under rear edge of the plastic /swingarm chain guard (measurements are from there).

Measure and find the tightest point of the chain (just watch the chain and ruler-you'll see the tightest part)

Re measuring, I've found a "tape measure" to work the best and most accurate. Pick one chain PIN as your reference point.
now, push up moderately and center your ruler on THAT PIN. Now, don't move the ruler and push down on that pin (ruler is thin and in front of the chain so you can see it).

That, is your total play.

I find 2" exactly works the best, 1.75", too tight AND the chain should be clean and lubed. 1.5" play will whine. As your accelerating, the swing arm is "coming up", making the chain even tighter...

Thank you for the info! It's definitely the chain now, I agree, it is too tight. Going to knock this out tonight. I can hear the sound when searching on youtube for chain too tight videos: https://youtu.be/kEmCXE5W32c?t=107 - I feel like I should know better but for some reason I was thinking it could possible be electricity arching.

Having a visual guide is nice, here is one on YouTube. Would you agree with this persons process? https://youtu.be/_7uXGmaWphs?t=568 - He does measure in the center point vs the manual (and you) suggesting plastic/swingarm. I will measure where you and the manual suggest.

You and the manual mention to find the "tightest portion of the chain". This is because some areas of the chain may be more broken in than others, so I should slowly spin the tire/chain to find the least flexible stretch?

PS. I plan on taking some sort of citrus cleaner and hosing down this entire area. Too much oil/grease from whatever chain lube the previous owner used. Don't want that falling off in the rain and catching the tire. I'll remove the sprocket cover, spray, hose it down, dry, and re-lube the chain. Should I be concerned about this process?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The process shown is correct and of course the manual.

I agree, clean the chain SPROCKETS first, don't FORCE WATER when rinsing off the chain. A light trickle works fine.

I DON'T recommend using chain WAX but a regular chain lubricant.

I personally use "Pro Honda chain lube with GRAPHITE". They make another lube with another additive(not graphite)- I called Honda and found the graphite is best for ROAD BIKES... And don't be cheap with it..

As for taught spots, as chains age/ stretch over time, they do develop tight spots. (Especially if you were to miss lubing, say a large section for some reason). Yours probably doesn't have any tight spots, un-less it hasn't been lubed often or at specific intervals...

I use my bike for pleasure only so the chain see's lube often, stays pretty clean, etc...

BTW, mis-adjustment (too tight), is one of the highest issues you'll find on the forum.

And no, it's not hard to adjust the adjust the chain. On my bike, the marks on the swing arm are dead nuts on.
You can usually tell simply by looking at the rollers, after a lube and ride. The "wear" pattern will be in the middle of the roller.

Get a torque wrench and go for it!

This is what I use, very little splatter, works great:

https://www.motosport.com/product/?...ent=badger&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Bing_PLA

Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The process shown is correct and of course the manual.

I agree, clean the chain 7 SPROCKETS first, don't FORCE WATER when rinsing off the chain. A light trickle works fine.

I DON'T recommend using chain WAX but a regular chain lubricant.

I personally use "Pro Honda chain lube with GRAPHITE". They make another lube with another additive(not graphite)- I called Honda and found the graphite is best for ROAD BIKES... And don't be cheap with it..

As for taught spots, as chains age/ stretch over time, they do develop tight spots. (Especially if you were to miss lubing, say a large section for some reason). Yours probably doesn't have any tight spots, un-less it hasn't been lubed often or at specific intervals...

I use my bike for pleasure only so the chain see's lube often, stays pretty clean, etc...

BTW, mis-adjustment (too tight), is one of the highest issues you'll find on the forum.

And no, it's not hard to adjust the adjust the chain. On my bike, the marks on the swing arm are dead nuts on.
You can usually tell simply by looking at the rollers, after a lube and ride. The "wear" pattern will be in the middle of the roller.

Get a torque wrench and go for it!

This is what I use, very little splatter, works great:

https://www.motosport.com/product/?...ent=badger&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Bing_PLA

Got my torque wrench ready :)

Here is the chain lube I have been using for years. It is wax based, I'm open to trying something new. I'll order your recommendation when this can starts to go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMMFE8Y

Capture.PNG

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried wax years ago, my chain literally started rusting from the inside out (different bike).

I don't remember the brand but it got pitched. Chains and sprockets cost way more than a can of lube.

The other Pro-Honda lube (NOT wax), is what is suggested for RACE bikes...

Besides personal experience with it, I went with Honda recommended...
(BTW, I have tried MANY chain lubes since 1970 and like this the best-works great, little mess).

**And it wouldn't surprise me the use of that wax is half your noise...

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried to get the real axle nut off last night, didn't have my breaker bar or impact gun. Couldnt get it off! The shop that did the tire must have really slammed it on there. Won't be riding this weekend with the rain so I have some time.

Ordering the Honda lube now :)