Starting from a stop

girsnoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have been a lurker on the forums for awhile now but i recently purchased my 2006 Blue FZ6 and I am learning very fast. This is my first bike and it has been a lot of fun learning all the tricks. I am still riding on the back roads and fear going out onto any main roads because of a simple problem.

My idle is around 1100-1300 after warmed up and i'm having trouble with stalling. I do give the bike some extra gas and it still struggles to get off from a stop. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to practice and improve my dead stops? I seem to have the most problem when there is even a slight incline, I only weigh 150 pounds so maneuvering the bike under my own power can prove to be a bit challenging.

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! I had trouble getting started at lights when I started riding too... especially on inclines! I took it to a parking lot and played with the friction zone a lot. I would ease the clutch out enough to get the bike moving and then pull it back in. When I was more comfortable with the friction zone, I was better able to balance the clutch and throttle to get moving at the lights.

After getting more comfortable with the friction zone, you can try using the rear break at the same time. That helps on the inclines. Although most of the time I just give it more throttle to keep from rolling backward.

Good luck!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe use the knurled wheel next to the clutch lever to adjust the free play in the clutch till it's at a more comfortable position for you. You don't say how old your bike is, but I would recommend lubing the clutch cable with some spray cable lube (search on here for details) if it's a bit old.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I can't tell you how many times I stalled at a light when I first started. I thought you had to let the clutch all the way out before you applied the gas... oy. Not sure how my MSF instructors never figured out why I was stalling every time, but once I got my GS500 and figured it out on my own, I don't think I've stalled.

So if the problem is not mechanical, but in fact your skill, definitely take it to a parking lot somewhere and play with it until you're comfortable. Here's how I take off:

Give it some gas and let the clutch out slowly into the friction zone. Then slowly let the clutch out and continue to accelerate until you're ready to shift again.

That happens in about a second for me, but you should slow it down to make sure you're doing it right. What you'll be working on in the parking lot is balancing how much gas you give it versus how much you let the clutch out. It's all about your comfort, I'm sure you'll figure it out, good luck!

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple problem, not enough gas.
I stalled the crap out of this bike when I first got it. The friction zone is very small on this machine and can take time getting used to.
Don't be afraid to give it some gas and use the clutch to get her going.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
not to sound too harsh but, practice, practice, practice, before you take yourself around traffic. You'll be doing yourself and others on the street a favor. Starting from a complete stop is as basic as it gets. Dont think about it too much, dont watch your tach, do get used to the friction zone of the bike. It's a feeling and it's basic hand coordination and knowing the throttle and clutch on your bike. During my MSF course there were still students killing their bike's from stops during the riding portion of the exam. They still passed. Crazy!

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
I just started in may also with a blue 1 :D. Mines an 04 though. Anyway I had the same problem and as said before. try giving it a little more gas and letting off the clutch slowly. Hills are still a little hard for me also. Only weighing 125 myself, I know what you mean about being difficult to control the bike with your weight. This is the reason I do not like using the back brake to start on hills. its just hard on my weak left leg lol. I have been using my front brake until i felt the clutch hit the friction zone and giving it plenty of gas while letting go of the clutch more slowly. Practice makes better.

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Like everyone said, practice.

As crazy dave mentioned (I would agree) try using the front brake. This gives you the ability to have both feet on the ground and will also improve your skills at using the throttle while cover the front brake.

Remember that at lights it's probaly your nerves more than anything that play the biggest role in stalling. There is a sense of urgency to get moving, which can make you rush.

Slow=smooth, smooth=fast.

Good luck!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Been there done (and I'm still doing), ... all of it (i.e. all the stupid things a newbie can do). I used to stall on hills ALL the time. I once got stuck at a traffic light on a very steep hill. I stalled the bike around 10-15 times before I was able to finally take off. There was a huge line of cars waiting for my dumb incompetent ass to figure out how to get my bike moving. On the 9th stall I was certain that I was going to remain on that hill for the rest of my life.

On one of my first rides I stopped to take some pics. I then hopped back on the bike, and tried taking off but whatever I did the bike would just stall. I finally managed to get rolling (although the bike ALMOST stalled again) and I was about to head home thinking that my bike is screwed up when it hit me - I pulled in the clutch, hit down the shifter and realized I was in second gear ... :spank:

Just make sure the bike is in first gear, give it more gas and learn to control the power with the clutch (or at least that's what worked for me). I used to take off by barely giving any gas but then I realized how much easier it is to just control your power with the clutch instead of the throttle (when taking off from a dead-stops that is).

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone stated, practice, develop a feel, good luck.

If that fails. pin the throttle, dump the clutch...j/k j/k:D

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry. I had the same problem getting the FZ6 as my first big bike stalling it all the time. As everyone else says, it's down to practise. Double tap to make sure you really are in 1st, rev it a bit more, and easy on the clutch and you'll be sorted.

sam5c

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I just started riding last year also had this problem when I started. I started on an Kawi EX500 and the person that I had bought it from said the best way to learn the clutch is to go on a steep hill (I had my driveway) and I should be able to stay still (like I am braking) with only the clutch and throttle. This helped me learn pretty quickly on the Ninja and when I picked up my FZ6, it took me a day or two, but I also learned the clutch pretty quick on the FZ6 that way. You should definately do this before you get on the roads for your own safety and for others; makes you more confident and the ride is more enjoyable.

My 2 cents

girsnoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone stated, practice, develop a feel, good luck.

If that fails. pin the throttle, dump the clutch...j/k j/k:D

haha, Thanks guys for all the replys!!!

I think FLuk is right about the nerves. I personally hate incompetent drives and would be totally humiliated if I got stuck getting off the line so I think I rush trying to get off the line and end up killing the bike. I see all the videos on youtube to try to figure out how much throttle to apply but it seems like my bike just loves to lurch and almost die out (sometimes it survives). I tend to do just fine on flat ground but on inclines I'm having trouble. I guess more throttle is needed but I don't want to go flying off the back of the bike haha.

Ill try applying more throttle and playing with the clutch a bit more. This is my first manual and bike other than moped so it is a learning experience. I am very confident in my other riding ability's so far, its just the damn hill stops!

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be a downer, but I agree with some of the other statements on here, get more familair before riding in traffic. You need near 100% of concentration on the nearby cars, if you need to focus too much on things like starting, shifting, braking it takes away from your situational awareness. Look into the MSF course.

As for your question, give it some gas to start with, maybe rev it to 500-1k higher than idle, so like 2k in your case, and slowly let the clutch out until you feel that friction zone. Once the clutch is halfway engaged you can start to open the throttle up and disengage the rest of the clutch simultaneously.

Extra challange: try and start with NO gas, that's good practice too for learning the clutch, not practical in the real world though

W

wrightme43

No gas practice is the trick, I use it all the time. Every woman that has ridden with me has commented that they think I am going to stall it. I do it cars too. You can practice making the engine just almost stop but not quite. Its fun.

My practice was with front brake on, feeling the clutch load against the brake then pulling back just enough to unload, back and forth almost killing the engine over and over.

WHY???

What do you do when you really do almost stall it?? Your hand knows to pull it back just that hair. No one knows a thing and away you go.

girsnoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be a downer, but I agree with some of the other statements on here, get more familair before riding in traffic. You need near 100% of concentration on the nearby cars, if you need to focus too much on things like starting, shifting, braking it takes away from your situational awareness. Look into the MSF course.

As for your question, give it some gas to start with, maybe rev it to 500-1k higher than idle, so like 2k in your case, and slowly let the clutch out until you feel that friction zone. Once the clutch is halfway engaged you can start to open the throttle up and disengage the rest of the clutch simultaneously.

Extra challange: try and start with NO gas, that's good practice too for learning the clutch, not practical in the real world though

Good pratice drills! I am planning on taking the MSF course next week, this week is haloween party time :Flash:

I agree completely with the attention to other drivers needed, thats why I only ride in the middle of the day on dry pavement and on weekdays when everyone is at work. I live down a dead end so it makes it easy to practice without slowing anyone else down.

I forgot to mention I think one of the biggest reasons I am having problems is when i wear the winter riding gloves I bought i have very poor feeling in the grips and it makes it hard to move my fingers. Does anyone have any recommendations on wearing in gloves other than actually wearing them?

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I always enjoy Captain Crash's videos.

Here's a good one on starting on an incline. :thumbup:
Be safe!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5X1FjCxMvc]YouTube - 60 Second Lesson: Starting on an Incline[/ame]

W

wrightme43

Good pratice drills! I am planning on taking the MSF course next week, this week is haloween party time :Flash:

I agree completely with the attention to other drivers needed, thats why I only ride in the middle of the day on dry pavement and on weekdays when everyone is at work. I live down a dead end so it makes it easy to practice without slowing anyone else down.

I forgot to mention I think one of the biggest reasons I am having problems is when i wear the winter riding gloves I bought i have very poor feeling in the grips and it makes it hard to move my fingers. Does anyone have any recommendations on wearing in gloves other than actually wearing them?

The hand gripper builderupper from walmart works. You know them squeezy dealies?

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
You said that you are wearing winter gloves, that could be part of the reason. I've only been riding for 4 months now, and this is my very first bike. As stated before make sure your in first gear, and let the clutch out sloooooowly, feeling he friction zone.

In my MSF class we started out playing in the friction zone for a while. Let the clutch out sloooooowly, without giving it gas, and walk the bike on flat ground. Do this over and over, then do it with giving it a little gas and let the clutch out sloooooowly, letting it grab.

You'll learn all this in your MSF class.

:welcome:, and be safe!