Stator Cover - how thick are they? scratched up after lay-down

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
So, hit a patch of oil today, very minimal damage as I went down going about 5mph, the bike started right back up again, but man do I feel like an idiot.

My question is, how thick is the left side stator cover/case? Am I going to be okay just painting over the scrapes or is it going to like ..blow up on me if I don't replace it?

I put paper under it to make it easier to see leaks, and nothing is leaking - but in the pic my garage floor is wet from my tires. The manufacturer paint is scraped up, but it doesn't seem to actually be cracked, and none of the scrapes are very deep - the oil light isn't on, and the bike is still running fine.

So, how bad is it? if the thing is like an inch thick - then I'm not worried about it, but I need some advice. What do I need to be worried about, is this going to be alright, or do I *need* to go and replace it? If so, how much will that run me?

pic included:
9ga3d2.jpg

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's cast aluminium with a lot of ribs on the inside, I'm guessing 1/8 thick.

You'll know when it's not usable after a crash.

brokestator.jpg

That was a new cover after I scuffed up the original a couple of years ago. When I rebuilt, I filled the scrape marks on the original with JB weld, then sanded and painted to make it good as new so I didn't have to buy another.

stator.jpg

Last edited:

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow dude, that thing looks perfect. Did you have the paint custom blended? I'm thinking of just mixing some specific sprays together and brushing them on after quick sanding.

So, I would know if it needed replacing after a crash - and it doesn't get hot enough or hit enough by any moving parts inside to really **** me up on a long ride or anything if I just left it as-is or painted over the tiny gashes/scratches?

So long as it's going to "hold", I'll just paint over it so that it's not immediately noticeable, and if I'm ever going to sell the bike - then I'll get a new one and have it put on.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and a sad way to get in the forum though the scratch and dent section! :rolleyes:

Lots of reading to be done here - use the search function and select; mods (this is a mod you know), garage, General Discussion, Technical, and How To's...

Personally I'd opt for ALL METAL as filler. Check this out:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/14369-crank-case-scuffs.html

Off hand I'd guess you're fine. . .

Good luck going forward!

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just use this for scratches. Yamaha 0582 Mat Black #2 (MBL2) - ColorRite

You'll probably want the jar. And a little JB weld to fill in and then sand and it'd look about that good.

Ouch, the jar of paint is more expensive than an actual replacement OEM stator cover($~60)

Not quite sure what I'm going to do right now, but the JB Weld is already on and drying for the night.

also, FinalImpact, thanks for the link!

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh hey, also, I just realized I'm still covered under the Y.E.S warranty(transferred over to me when I bought the bike a year and a half ago), previous owner paid for a 2 year plan - is ridiculous stuff like this covered?

Going through it, I'm seeing the things that are not covered are "including damage done by racing, improper transit of motorcycle, and abnormal strain or abuse of the motorcycle." Not quite sure if they mean 'transit' as in shipping/trailer/pickup-movement, or just plain user-error 'in transit' on the bike. This little shiner definitely falls into the latter category.

It was a sad day, because until now, I was one of those people who had never laid down a bike. I've been riding for 4 years with tens of thousands of miles, some of which have been on bigger in-line fours than my fz6, and I've always been lucky I guess - until now. It's an interesting feeling finally having 'fallen off the horse', as it were; knowing what it feels like to lowside and feel yourself go past the point of no return, before you hit the pavement and see the bike sliding/grinding away from you.

Could have been much worse than it was, there have been times where I've been close on my older R1(sold for a down payment on a car as I'm in NY and needed a new winter vehicle, and to pay for my fz6 - nothing dramatic), going too quick into a corner on a questionable line, but I would hear people say 'there are two kinds of riders, the kind who already have laid a bike down, and the kind that will', and think 'hopefully that doesn't apply to me' - but at least all it was here was experience and some cosmetic damage. There will be another sunrise for my fz6, and I love her too much not to forgive her for bucking me off, it was my own fault anyway.

My cold-weld is hardening as we speak, and at least it will give me something to do as a project during the next few days of wet/freezing weather before the sun comes out again and the roads dry up. Kicking myself for being lazy and not just installing frame sliders.. but what can you do.

Last edited:

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't blend the paint. My motor was silver and I painted the it with "cast iron" color engine paint when I rebuilt the bike. The frame went antique bronze.

frame8.jpg

Also, that destroyed cover pic was with frame sliders, they protect the fuel tank and frame from getting scuffed, but that stator sticks out too far to protect without a full cage.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd get a small rotary sander (the 3" ones that goes in your drill) and sand the scratches out, then paint, start with a semi aggressive disc and work up to a much finer grade.

You won't be going any deeper than the already DEEPEST SCRATCHES so you'll be fine... Get some semi flat black engine paint, tape it off and you'll be good to go...

I had to do the same to my frame (from the PO), can't tell....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't blend the paint. My motor was silver and I painted the it with "cast iron" color engine paint when I rebuilt the bike. The frame went antique bronze.

frame8.jpg

Also, that destroyed cover pic was with frame sliders, they protect the fuel tank and frame from getting scuffed, but that stator sticks out too far to protect without a full cage.

That looks really sharp!!! My shops pretty clean but your puts mine to shame... :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

frame8.jpg

Looks great but please tell me you didn't paint it in your living room...

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nah, I only assembled it in the living room.

I painted it on the back porch. :D

I was kind of pissed that I went to a lot of trouble to keep the carpet clean, and my place flooded a couple of months later, so they replaced it anyway.

ecca

Reaction score
Visit site
How would I know if the internals of the stator were messed up? Are they fragile enough to be knocked out of working order in a ~5mph lay-down even if the cover wasn't breached or cracked open?

Would it be immediately obvious somehow[eg the bike wouldn't start], or would I be riding around with a half working centrifugal pump in there messing itself up?

Just, hear like, a fast-paced 'ticktickticktick'(real fast) moving with the engine, and I want to be sure it's normal rather than something inside the stator being weird, or the rotor - whatever. Seems normal, as I googled it and it's part of every fz6 forum(the ticking), but I was also curious about the question at the top of this post.

Thanks for all the help so far, guys - hopefully everything is fine, idk, seems okay so far, just this last question.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
hi ecca, i can t say for sure if the stator is knocked out of place or not in such a small incident, however all i can say i crashed on my bike doing 60 km/hr in a sharp right hander that i wasnt expecting to be it that sharp (my fault of course!) anyway the stator cover got punctured and was loosing oil, i had to araldite it (sort of a cold metal repair). the bike fired right up with no other tick tick ticks (maybe the tick tick is your valve train, valve trains tick on these bikes so its no concern -valves need checking every 25,000 km's)or strange behaviour, has been going strong for two years now with no issues,

so i wouldnt wory about your tiny spill

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How would I know if the internals of the stator were messed up? Are they fragile enough to be knocked out of working order in a ~5mph lay-down even if the cover wasn't breached or cracked open?

Would it be immediately obvious somehow[eg the bike wouldn't start], or would I be riding around with a half working centrifugal pump in there messing itself up?

Just, hear like, a fast-paced 'ticktickticktick'(real fast) moving with the engine, and I want to be sure it's normal rather than something inside the stator being weird, or the rotor - whatever. Seems normal, as I googled it and it's part of every fz6 forum(the ticking), but I was also curious about the question at the top of this post.

Thanks for all the help so far, guys - hopefully everything is fine, idk, seems okay so far, just this last question.

If its leaking oil, you got major problems.

The thin aluminum generally doesn't bend (like steel), it scratchs / breaks apart.

Looking at your picture, yours is just scratched.

The stator assembly bolts inside the cover and is fairly stout. The cover IF broke thru, would likely leak oil and be quite obvious its a goner. You couldn't run the engine (oil coming out of the engine) and cause more damage to the stator..

The PO of my bike scruffed the same cover (to about the same extent as yours but at approx 40 MPH, NO sliders) and worked fine. Insurance did have the shop replace it..

Your ticking is probably the injectors. If the rotor assembly was rubbing on the stator, it wouldn't be ticking but a major scraping sound... There is NO pump under there, just the rotor and stator.

The genenerator (for an 07): http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2007/FZ6+-+FZS6W/GENERATOR/parts.html

The cover: http://www.powersportsplus.com/part...2007/FZ6+-+FZS6W/CRANKCASE+COVER+1/parts.html

If you take a large screwdriver, put the handle to your ear, the other end to the engine, you can sometimes find where a particular noise is coming from...

Last edited: