Steering doesn't feel right.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm having this problem, it seems that the bike dosn't feel right at low speeds. Tends to go left or right, but it's not really bad. It all happened after I put my racetech springs. When I did that I also replaced the steering head bearings. At first it was really bad. So I then proceded on tightening 2 times the nut from steering and last time I also checked the oil from forks. I made sure that there was exactly the same quantity in both. After this I got rid of one problem, my front side would wobble under heavy acceleration starting from 80-90 mph. Now that's gone, I can only feel it past 100mph but just a little. ( I have done this test on a deserted stretch of highway, I don't recommend anyone going at that speed, not even for testing purposes). Ok, so now I'm left with a small sucky feeling at low speeds, bike seems to go one way or another, it just doesn't feel right. I put the forks back in the original position (were lowered about 4-5mm) and I just don't know what to do. I also got the chain off the rear wheel for a proper cleaning but I think that I alligned it as it should be. No play in the front bearings. Spacers from springs are as close as I could get them to match. What else should I look for? The feeling is more like the bike is going to right side when I stop, but at 40 mph with.no hands it is going straight as a bullet.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm having this problem, it seems that the bike dosn't feel right at low speeds. Tends to go left or right, but it's not really bad. It all happened after I put my racetech springs. When I did that I also replaced the steering head bearings. At first it was really bad. So I then proceded on tightening 2 times the nut from steering and last time I also checked the oil from forks. I made sure that there was exactly the same quantity in both. After this I got rid of one problem, my front side would wobble under heavy acceleration starting from 80-90 mph. Now that's gone, I can only feel it past 100mph but just a little. ( I have done this test on a deserted stretch of highway, I don't recommend anyone going at that speed, not even for testing purposes). Ok, so now I'm left with a small sucky feeling at low speeds, bike seems to go one way or another, it just doesn't feel right. I put the forks back in the original position (were lowered about 4-5mm) and I just don't know what to do. I also got the chain off the rear wheel for a proper cleaning but I think that I alligned it as it should be. No play in the front bearings. Spacers from springs are as close as I could get them to match. What else should I look for? The feeling is more like the bike is going to right side when I stop, but at 40 mph with.no hands it is going straight as a bullet.
make sure your air is topped up to tyre manufacturers specs

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the forks are aligned properly with the axle. It's possible one or both of them have a slight twist to them.

Tires are to spec, I check them once every 2-3 days. That twist is something that I thought about. What is a proper way to make that?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess: slightly overtightened head bearing. Put the bike on center stand and either have someone sit on rear seat (so front wheel is in the air) or prop the bike up under header (hydro jack works well). With front wheel in the air, handlebar should turn very freely side to side.
You can also check for head bearing play (but loose bearing wouldn't really give you the feeling you are describing). just face the bike from the front, grab both fork legs and push toward the back / pull toward the front (don't pull too hard.. don't want the bike coming off center stand). There should be no play / clicking.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
It's fz6n so no center stand. I overtightened the head bearing then backed off a bit until the forks went from side to side on their own once tilted enough. And tightening the head bearing really made the feeling a bit better. I guess that when I installed it the races weren't seated properly and they went deeper. Now it is really tightened to spec, as it should be. Oil is identical level in both arms. Could rear wheel alignment cause this behaviour?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess: slightly overtightened head bearing. Put the bike on center stand and either have someone sit on rear seat (so front wheel is in the air) or prop the bike up under header (hydro jack works well). With front wheel in the air, handlebar should turn very freely side to side.
You can also check for head bearing play (but loose bearing wouldn't really give you the feeling you are describing). just face the bike from the front, grab both fork legs and push toward the back / pull toward the front (don't pull too hard.. don't want the bike coming off center stand). There should be no play / clicking.
I was thinking the same thing. . . If too tight you end up holding a line too long and putting in extra effort to steer later than the input was required. When it does break free then you over shoot the other way. Does this describe what you feel?

The back would have to be off a ways to make it feel strange and only someone who really knows the bike and road would notice it. The bike would crab walk essentially but it won't cause what you're talking about.

Fork oil level is not a factor as much as stiction of head bearings could be. Read the manual and try adjusting it again. Too loose will pit and wear bearings. Too tight and it rides bad so take a look.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Tires are to spec, I check them once every 2-3 days. That twist is something that I thought about. What is a proper way to make that?

To align the fork tubes with each other:

1) loosen all attachment points between the fork legs and anything else EXCEPT the lower triple clamp. Axle, fender, brake calipers, and UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP ONLY

2) sit on the bike, engage the front brake, and compress the front suspension multiple times. Hard. Try and get the suspension to move through the entire range.

3) tighten all bolts to spec.

Ride the bike and see if that helped.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never thought about stiction in the tubes and what it would feel like, but if the nose doesn't come back to its typical ride height consistently, the rake and steering angle would be different and that would make the rider feel a bit uneasy as it would randomly behave different.

I again - everyone who reads this, take 15 mins with a friend and check the sag. Once you have it and record it, you can use it to compare and look for changes in performance.