Stepped up to a real bike.

mitdr774

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I recently purchased a 2009 FZ6 and went searching for a forum to find useful information on. This seems like a good place.

I have only been riding since this past fall. I picked up a 2007 Buell Blast in the fall and have been riding it. Its great around town, but is not fun at speeds above about 60. I went looking for a second bike and decided to go after a bike I have wanted since first seeing one.

As with my 4 wheeled vehicles, I just cant leave things stock. Before I even had it in my possession a LeoVince exhaust had been ordered. It arrived today and was installed this evening. Picked up my plate today as well.

The "scooter"

20150417_194321_zpse3a59b90.jpg

20150417_194341_zps2f242eb7.jpg

The 2009 FZ6

20150430_202328_zpsa35b1098.jpg

20150430_201842_zps9bf14f6b.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best motorcycle forum on the net! Lots of great knowledge here if you have any questions. Not from me, but lots of other riders. lol I no longer ride an FZ6, but stay on the forum because of all the great people on it.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ec
Xcellent choice in bike and forum welcome

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

mitdr774

Reaction score
Visit site
In the Buells defense it is half a Harley engine. It makes 34hp/30tq per the manufacture claims, but peak HP is at rev limit of 6500 RPM. Its slow, but has decent torque for what it is. It is actually a bit of fun as long as speeds are below 60.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the Buells defense it is half a Harley engine. It makes 34hp/30tq per the manufacture claims, but peak HP is at rev limit of 6500 RPM. Its slow, but has decent torque for what it is. It is actually a bit of fun as long as speeds are below 60.

The Fizzer has a nice little happy spot a tad past where the mighty Buell tached out! So, when you get to 7K, if its still pinned - 8K will soon be 13K! :thumbup::thumbup: Be safe!

mitdr774

Reaction score
Visit site
I have opened the throttle a few times just to get a feel for things. Still taking the power jump easy. Most of the time I only use a small amount of throttle around town with no issue. The Blast is almost always wide open when getting up to speed quick.

A buddy came over today to hang out while I worked on my car and after I offered to go for a ride. He has a 2006 R6, but it is not up here yet. I know he is missing being able to ride. I jumped on the blast and let him ride the FZ6. Maybe 25 miles out he offered a switch. I have never seen a grown man have so much fun and enjoyment on such a low power and loud bike.

Both have their uses and are fun as long as ridden in a manner they are designed for. The Blast is really not intended to go on the highway, but is at home on a somewhat twisty 50-55 MPH road and around town.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I know it's fun, I actually LOVE smaller bikes...but it just makes me sad that America can't make a decent smaller bike comparable to Japan. Because I'd love a buell/harley made 300-400cc sport/standard that makes reasonable power expected of such a displacement range because I love that all their bikes use belts, chains are so primitive.

mitdr774

Reaction score
Visit site
Harley does have the Street 500 now. I cant find consistent power numbers for it and Harley does not like to advertise their numbers. I wonder why????? ;) I took my MSF class through a local HD dealer and we used the Street 500. Its not a horrible bike based on the limited experience in the class. It is a fairly heavy bike though. I want to say it was something like 500 pounds.

I almost went with a Buell XB9 but gave up on that idea when I found out it suffered from some of the same issues on the highway as my Blast. Sure, now I am at 5500-6000 RPM on the highway, but compared to rev limit that is below the 50% mark. The Blast runs at 4600 with a 6500 rev limit and the XB runs at 4500 with a 7000 rev limit

Now that Buell is once again closed, how long before parts become hard to find? Parts can be hard to find for the Blast. Dont even think of trying to find new brake rotors. I suspect FZ6 parts will be available for a long time to come.