Stock forks with springs and emulators, or R6 forks?

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
My project for the winter is going to be to improve the suspension on the bike. Of the two choices in the title, which is the best. It seems the price for each is pretty close, and the R6 forks are adjustable, right? And it seems the R6 forks don't take a whole lot to make fit.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My project for the winter is going to be to improve the suspension on the bike. Of the two choices in the title, which is the best. It seems the price for each is pretty close, and the R6 forks are adjustable, right? And it seems the R6 forks don't take a whole lot to make fit.

If you can grab the Fender mount hardware and Axle spacers you're in for the R6 option.

If those are not available its still an option just a bit more work. Take a look here:
---> The R6 Fork
---> R6 Fork Install, another one!
---> 08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Its cheap easy upgrade that is night and day from OEM.... Otherwise you go for parts you can buy.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought everything to do the R6 fork swap in one go. It was pretty inexpensive, and it took me about 2 hours in the garage with basic hand tools to get everything switched over and the brakes bled. The ride quality is 100% better.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 forks are adjustable, but you should re-spring them for your weight too for best results. Plus, it's a good idea to change the seals and oil in them before putting them on.

The R6 forks don't take a lot to fit, especially since you have a 2007 and don't need to change calipers. I work in a manufacturing shop and had a guy make spacers for me for a few 6 packs of beer, but if you need to have them made, it will cost more. I can't comment on ride improvements, since that project was put on the back burner until this winter. Careful buying them online, since I got a set that one outer tube was damaged and unusable.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 forks are adjustable, but you should re-spring them for your weight too for best results. Plus, it's a good idea to change the seals and oil in them before putting them on.

The R6 forks don't take a lot to fit, especially since you have a 2007 and don't need to change calipers. I work in a manufacturing shop and had a guy make spacers for me for a few 6 packs of beer, but if you need to have them made, it will cost more. I can't comment on ride improvements, since that project was put on the back burner until this winter. Careful buying them online, since I got a set that one outer tube was damaged and unusable.

FWIW:
205 lbs w/gear. Stock R6 is spring rate is 0.83kg/mm and front sag came out fine on OEM R6 springs. So, If your under 180lbs you may be OK.
Hint - Most over spring the stock FZ fork trying to compensate for poor damping rates. So careful if you go the emulator/spring/oil route.

The 0.83 spring is not a bad choice and I used 7.5wt oil, so try it and see. In short this was the BEST MONEY SPENT on anything I've done to this bike. Once over that, do the rear damper.... :thumbup:

SAG on FZ6:
Front Static: 20.6 mm
Front Rider: 33.3 mm

Also - pic of wheel spacers R6 Wheel Spacer.. .. ..

Same link to Fender mod and brackets: Fender mod and brackets.. .. ..

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
At 190 in gear, I find the stock R6 springs and oil weight to be plenty. I don't have them adjusted to their maximum to I know if I head to the track and need more stiffness, I can adjust them. The stock springs and oil weight are plenty for most riders. :thumbup:

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
So I have been doing more research on this, and i have a couple questions? What years of forks can I? I am assuming any of the earlier years that don't have inverted forks. Secondly, i am also wanting to put stainless lines on, will they need to be different with the different forks? Dako81 has the spacer kits still available, so I am definitely leaning toward r6 forks.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have been doing more research on this, and i have a couple questions? What years of forks can I? I am assuming any of the earlier years that don't have inverted forks. Secondly, i am also wanting to put stainless lines on, will they need to be different with the different forks? Dako81 has the spacer kits still available, so I am definitely leaning toward r6 forks.
You will just need lines long enough to reach both calipers and not cause any binding when you turn the bars. I don't think there is anything special about the brake lines. I've never looked into exactly which forks fit which years, but I have 2003 R6 forks on my 2004 FZ6 for what it's worth.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You need the left and right but here's the list of donor's!
5SL-23102-00-00 YAMAHA FRONT FORK ASSY (L.H

2003 R6 - YZFR6SRC FRONT FORK
2003 YZFR6 - YZFR6R FRONT FORK
2003 YZFR6 - YZFR6RC FRONT FORK
2003 YZFR6 - YZFR6SR FRONT FORK
2004 YZF-R6 - YZFR6S FRONT FORK
2004 YZF-R6 - YZFR6SC FRONT FORK
2004 YZF-R6 - YZFR6SCS FRONT FORK
2004 YZF-R6 - YZFR6SS FRONT FORK
2006 R6S - YZFR6SV FRONT FORK
2006 R6S - YZFR6SVC FRONT FORK
2007 R6S - YZFR6SW FRONT FORK
2007 R6S CA - YZFR6SWC FRONT FORK 2008 R6S - YZFR6SXB FRONT FORK
2008 R6S - YZFR6SXL FRONT FORK
2008 R6S CA - YZFR6SXBC FRONT FORK
2008 R6S CA - YZFR6SXLC FRONT FORK
2008 YZF-R6S - YZFR6SXCB FRONT FORK
2008 YZF-R6S - YZFR6SXCL FRONT FORK
2009 YZFR6S - YZFR6SYB FRONT FORK
2009 YZFR6S - YZFR6SYCB FRONT FORK
2009 YZFR6S - YZFR6SYCL FRONT FORK
2009 YZFR6S - YZFR6SYL FRONT FORK

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I guess I should clarify, when asking about stainless lines I was asking if a set made for an fz6 would work fine if I switched to r6 forks. I don't know why they wouldn't, but I want to make sure beforehand.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Good question about the lines. I think they should fit as R6 forks are a little bit shorter I guess.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I should clarify, when asking about stainless lines I was asking if a set made for an fz6 would work fine if I switched to r6 forks. I don't know why they wouldn't, but I want to make sure beforehand.

I have fz6 S1 and if I change the front suspension whould my lines fit to new calipers?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have fz6 S1 and if I change the front suspension whould my lines fit to new calipers?

Yes they should fit, I assume you mean your changing to R6 forks, Not a huge difference in length compared to whats on the FZ6 stock, I have handlebar risers and stock FZ6 lines and stainless lines for an FZ6 fit just fine

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes they should fit, I assume you mean your changing to R6 forks, Not a huge difference in length compared to whats on the FZ6 stock, I have handlebar risers and stock FZ6 lines and stainless lines for an FZ6 fit just fine

My concern is about banjo angle and shape, I'm sure line's length is enough but thanks for infos/comments :thumbup:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
It happens so that I have a R6 and FZ6 S1 at hand. I will take pictures of banjos and post them here.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
No way fit. Turned 90 degrees, straight on R6.
Take a look
d8f555d4c110ee42a2573d5ec4ee1225.jpg

And S1
202dc797917db058a50ab6fd12db81f8.jpg

The R6 calipers are from the projector headlight model (2004 or 2005 I think) so I don't know if there were different calipers on earlier R6s

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
So I have been looking at r6 forks on fleabay. Does it take much to fit the later year USD forks to the fz? I figure the r6 triple is needed, which means a different route is needed for bars. Sorry if this has been beat to death already, just wanting to make sure I have everything in line before I get going on this.