stolen bike recovered but won't start

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6, I just got the bike April 1st and it was stolen this past Monday and just (fortunately) recovered. There was no damage, but I tried to start it and it wouldn't start so I had it towed to my place and thought I would try to get it up and running.

The bike doesn't turn on. There's a couple loose wires around the dash and under the front. I took some pictures and posted them here. I'll check the fuses and battery tomorrow morning, but other than that i'm not sure where to start. I just downloaded the service manual and I'll try to figure out what I can, but any leads and or insight would be welcome!!!

Thanks!

Edit: sorry one of the pictures is not in the right orientation. the first should be rotated 90deg clockwise. The last picture is a picture looking down through the right side of the bike

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the dash come on? Or is the bike totally dead? Do you hear the fuel pump whine when you turn the key to on position? There is a 30 amp main fuse in an assembly on top of the battery. But before you replace any fuses you will want to repair any damaged wire.

I see what looks like a battery tender plug assembly. Were any of the wire to the ignition switch cut? The ignition switch wires are generally the wires that get get cut so that the circuit can be completed to steal the bike. If this were the the case there is a safety module that may need to be replaced because the circuit board ends up with blown diodes.

It looks like there are wires that are the same as your ignition switch wires hanging out of a harness. If these are your ignition switch wires you will need to have them properly re attached. Very important! Disconnect the battery negative terminal before reattaching any of those wires!

Do you know if the bike was running while the thief had it? Also does it have gas in it? Many times a thief gets caught because they can't easily put gas in it.

Last edited:

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply moto, the dash doesnt come on and the fuel pump doesn’t prime.

I assume the bike was running while the theif had it, it was found a number of blocks away. It has gas in there I can hear it sloshing around

As to the other questions; Im not sure yet. Im still trying to figure out what wires are what, what they do and where they go before attempting any repair. Ill keep posted but if you have more questions let me know

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like there are wires that are the same as your ignition switch wires hanging out of a harness. If these are your ignition switch wires you will need to have them properly re attached. Very important! Disconnect the battery negative terminal before reattaching any of those wires!

I don't see any cut wires. The only loose wires are the orange and green wires in the third picture, those wires are coming out of the light switch on the left handle bar.

The two wire harnesses that are hanging are from the ignition. Where do those reattach to?

I checked all the fuses including the main and none are blown, and I checked the battery with a multimeter and it reads 12V

????

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look up toward the bottom of the ignition switch. You will probably see the wires that were cut. If you see the cut wires from the switch they will probably match the color color wires that are hanging down out of the wire loom. Is that a wire loom in the first picture? It might have a red, a brown with blue tracer, a blue with black tracer and a white with a blue tracer. These wires should be re attached to the ignition switch and insulated in a professional manner. After that has been done see if the bike starts. If not, the starter safety cut out relay circuit is probably bad because of blown diodes. The unit is about $35 ....

Let us know what you find.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
The first picture is not very telling. Here is a closer up picture:

Are these called looms or harnesses? Forgive my ignorance I am learning more each day.

It looks like these should just plug right into something which is why I was asking if the recconnect somewhere

10427f4e4558b8ea6317af67e9bfe0b4.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The first picture is not very telling. Here is a closer up picture:

Are these called looms or harnesses? Forgive my ignorance I am learning more each day.

It looks like these should just plug right into something which is why I was asking if the recconnect somewhere

Yes those look like the wires color coded for your ignition switch. Looks like they may have been unplugged from the ignition switch harness. One wire is a different color from my schematic for the 2006 but the others are the same color and gage so I say find where they plug in and start the bike! :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only loose wires are the orange and green wires in the third picture, those wires are coming out of the light switch on the left handle bar.

The two wire harnesses that are hanging are from the ignition. Where do those reattach to?

I checked all the fuses including the main and none are blown, and I checked the battery with a multimeter and it reads 12V

????

The left handle bar control switch also (inside the small wiring harness) has a CLUTCH LEVER SAFETY SWITCH.
That harness very likely plugs into the main harness UNDER the fuel tank.

I can't think of ANY wires(small harnesses), from the handle bars that DON'T CONNECT under the fuel tank OR under the battery "mount"(not the correct word).

They'll route thru the frame opening (both sides as I re-call) and again, plug in under the tank, possibly under the battery(battery removal and battery bracket needs to be pulled ( not difficult, take some pic's, notes, the battery bolts are different sizes)

Also, the battery needs charging. Should be closer to 12.8 sitting. 12 volts is pretty low but ISN'T your main issue..

Also, if you bring up the parts diagram for your bike, it's often MUCH easier to see what goes where (that the manual does not show):

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2004/fz6-fz600ssc

Last edited:

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
The situation is making more sense today after spending some time messing around. I took off the front left inner fairing and could see that those wires come from the ignition and normally snake through the frame (I'm assuming on the left side?) and connect to the main switch under the fuel tank. The thieves must've just yanked it out, but they didn't cut anything so I'm not sure how or if they ever got the bike started

My question is what is the best way to go about reconnecting these wires? Has anyone done it before? I lifted up the tank today and removed the battery casing and the mount, and then I got stuck. Theres not a lot of room to work and I couldn't see how I could get the casing out that the battery sits in, in order to get behind it and do some more digging around. The only other option is through the frame if you remove the whole fairing, but again its such a small hole I don't know if you could do it this way.

IMG_3120.jpg

You can see here, I removed the 10mm bolts at the top and bottom, then in order to get the rest of the mount out theres a push pin on the left side of that black cylinder (what's this called?) and a nut to remove on the right side.

Has anyone reconnected the ignition wires before, is this the way to go in? I stopped here I got a little frustrated and am running out of daylight but I'll try again tomorrow

Let me know if you have any recommendations and thanks for your help this is teaching me alot

Edit: Battery is 12.47

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The situation is making more sense today after spending some time messing around. I took off the front left inner fairing and could see that those wires come from the ignition and normally snake through the frame (I'm assuming on the left side?) and connect to the main switch under the fuel tank. The thieves must've just yanked it out, but they didn't cut anything so I'm not sure how or if they ever got the bike started

My question is what is the best way to go about reconnecting these wires? Has anyone done it before? I lifted up the tank today and removed the battery casing and the mount, and then I got stuck. Theres not a lot of room to work and I couldn't see how I could get the casing out that the battery sits in, in order to get behind it and do some more digging around. The only other option is through the frame if you remove the whole fairing, but again its such a small hole I don't know if you could do it this way.

View attachment 68898

You can see here, I removed the 10mm bolts at the top and bottom, then in order to get the rest of the mount out theres a push pin on the left side of that black cylinder (what's this called?) and a nut to remove on the right side.

Has anyone reconnected the ignition wires before, is this the way to go in? I stopped here I got a little frustrated and am running out of daylight but I'll try again tomorrow

Let me know if you have any recommendations and thanks for your help this is teaching me alot

Good work! Yes there are 2 other matching plugs to the ones that you already have and since the wires were not cut there's a good chance they never shorted anything and never started the bike.
Those cylindrical components are your ignition coils. There are 2 of them for all 4 cylinders. You may see the matching harness and plugs when you remove the battery box.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 ^^^.

There's also two more bolts (with shanks, a little different from the bolts you already pulled). The box should lift out at this point.

I don't remember a push /pull pin there but if so, simply push in the center "dot" and that pin will come out. To re-install the pin, pull the center outwards(just a little), slip in the pin and push flush again. ALL pins like this, install and remove THIS WAY.

Once the box is out, underneath will be most of what YOU need to get to.

Now that your under the battery box, there's a rubber boot (maybe 4" long, slide it back some for access) where there's a bunch of connectors that connect there and very likely where your harnesses will be connecting. Most connectors can ONLY attach to original / proper other connector.

And yes, the wires from the bars go thru the frame..

They didn't damage the ignition switch??

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
No the ignition switch was undamaged I lucked out in that respect.

Were back in business today.Thanks for all the help.

If anyone is curious the connections were tucked inside the frame along the left hand side of the bike. You can see them in the first pic the red and white connectors. I had to remove the airbox to get access to it, and after reassembling everything it fired right up.

Time for a celebration ride!

0d2d1bf5d109eea7425364c9c91bf0f6.jpg

214334e3286ccc356f034e253d224d94.jpg

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, those two RED and WHITE wires (in your picture) are aftermarket.

What they do, or go to, you may want to investigate (if you haven't already)

Thanks for the heads up. They’re very thin and they are strewn all througout the front and side of the bike and are connected at intervals by what looks like a little red light.

Next time I jump in there Ill check it out and report back.

Also that green and orange wire in one of the first pictures controls my brights. This wouldve been a good time to fix that while I had it gutted but oh well

thanks again for the tips

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
So the green and orange wires in one of the pictures above was for a switch for LED lights. I thought those little red bulbs were the lights but it turns out those are connectors that look like LED lights. I had to fix alot of the wiring near the frame the connections were loose or broken but got it all wired up today with the switch:

PS: my friend told me today that this isnt street legal (I live in CA). Anyone know if this is true?

67dde799bc317a0f7f9dd5f0106617f0.jpg
1dddc1553c77d7d8b60b28d451c75c01.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the green and orange wires in one of the pictures above was for a switch for LED lights. I thought those little red bulbs were the lights but it turns out those are connectors that look like LED lights. I had to fix alot of the wiring near the frame the connections were loose or broken but got it all wired up today with the switch:

PS: my friend told me today that this isnt street legal (I live in CA). Anyone know if this is true?

Jackpot!

“California

Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. In addition, stay away from blue LEDs as well.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes

I've heard stories of riders being stopped for red or blue windscreens. The officer saying a light could be shown through the blue/red windscreen to impersonate a LEO. These were factory, OEM, colored windscreens on US made bikes. (Buell)

You may eventually be stopped for the blue lights.