Stop-Loss

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just saw Stop-Loss, about a soldier who completes his 4-year enlistment contract in Iraq, and decides not to sign up again after being involved in some heavy s**t there, losing faith in what he's doing there in the process. But he's is "stop-lossed" meaning that via some loophole his contract is changed and he's legally required to return, so he evaluates his options. It's a pretty believable though process he goes through, and paints a pretty rough picture of what it's like to come back to civilian life. I'd be interested to hear what our military personel on the forum thought of it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I served 12 years in the British military. I served all over the world and the most important things I learnt was common sense and to know right from wrong. Like the guy in your film I visited places you would not volunteer to go unless you were on a much better salary than i was. Northern Ireland, The Falklands, Africa. But this was before the days of Post traumatic stress disorder. Which by the way I think is similar to suing people for the slightest thing. If you sign up for the military you expect to see some of the things you do not want to see. It comes with the job. If you cannot hack it do not sign on the dotted line. If you are drafted...that is another story.

When you join an "Institution" like the army for such a long time you totally lose sight of what life on the outside is like.

I knew nothing about getting housing, paying bills and taxes etc. I joined at 16 years of age, straight from home.

It was tough for a couple of years but you soon realise the common sense you learnt stands you in good sted. What is inside you and the person you are gets you through.

The army did not help a great deal. It was a case of, once you left the camp gates you were on your own.

W

wrightme43

Well the contract you sign is very clear.
You sign for 8 years part active part inactive except in time of war then your contract can be extended thru the end of the war. They made it very very clear to me.

Havent seen the movie though. I just know the military is very exact about the way they word and present things about pay, time off, what you own, what your responibilities, and your rights are. They never did one thing to me that I didnt understand fully, and if I had any questions the oppertunity to ask was provided.

Money, Mail, and Meals were always on time and as agreed for me.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This movie looks lame to me. As Steve said when you enlist you have 8 years of total service, typically 4 years active followed immediately by four years of the Reserves (active or inactive) or the National Guard. Most folks join the Guard, do their 2 to 4 more years and get out. The military can stop loss you at the drop of a hat, regardless, there is NO LOOPHOLE. It is base on your MOS (job skill) and rank. These days its MPs, Infantry, EOD, medics, and a few others. I've know many people on the Active Duty side who had 20 years in, ready to retire and get stop lossed. I've even seen it in the Reserve side. So when I see this, whatever, whiney b*tches, Solider up.

Steveindenmark - PTSD has been around since the first day of combat by humans, it isn't new, just had many names over the years.

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Believe about 30% of what you see in military movies (usually). I can only speak for the Army (I'm still on active duty), but the military may stop loss troops based MOS and several other factors. Bottom line: Stop loss is usually based off the need of the Army and completing it's missions. Soldiers should know this when they enlist or commission. It's part of the military lifestyle...it's not bad...just the way it is.

I say
"Soldier up and embrace the suck"

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know anything about the military except I would suck at it. But I do know movies are a great way to shape public opinion. We all knew Mcdonald's food was bad for you but it took a movie before they started offering 'healthy' options.

Good job to the OP for doing some extra research... too many people don't after seeing a movie.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Getting some real soldiers' opinions sure puts a different spin on the movie. It had a very anti-war (as in the policy around Iraq) bias, and it appears that it was stretching the truth to portray stop-loss as clandestine draft. That really weakens its credibility, and sort of changes the story from a guy who was screwed by the govenment to a guy who was too dumb to notice what he was signing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i will try to watch this, sounds like an interesting.

I saw the previews at the theatre about a week after I got back and it was WAY too close to home. I think I need to pass on this one.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw the previews at the theatre about a week after I got back and it was WAY too close to home. I think I need to pass on this one.

It has some intense house-to-house combat scenes. I've been wondering: is that a common experience for our soldiers? I hear about it and see movies about it all the time, but I never know if that's something that 0.1% experience or 20% experience.

W

wrightme43

It has some intense house-to-house combat scenes. I've been wondering: is that a common experience for our soldiers? I hear about it and see movies about it all the time, but I never know if that's something that 0.1% experience or 20% experience.

After checking with another member that has been there, this is a good idea of what can happen.

Gates of Fire

Scroll down and look at the photos then read the story. Everything changes in just few short seconds.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Most troops are FOBBITS, ie: the never leave the FOB (Forward Operations Base). These days Iraq is dead as a door knob, nothing is going on. Afghanistan is going to be hot this year.

For true door to door maybe 5% to 10%? It all depends on your designated mission. Now keep in mind that many Soldiers pull very, very dangerous duty and are not involved in direct fighting. The Explosive Ordinance guys, EOD, from all branches have a very dangerous duty. They are the guys who interrogate and dispose of IEDs and other munitions that are found on the battlefield.

We had a company of 2ID EOD next to my company, totally cool guys who did some sh*t. Imagine being on a road in the middle of now where, rolling up on an IED that someone else called in (unexploded mind you) and having the job if making it go away. The insurgents like to set secondary explosives for the first responders; medics, EOD, etc. Once they get on site the insurgents will trigger a second blast. Imagine seeing a wounded US Soldier and knowing you might get hit as you try to go help him. That said, Iraq is pretty much over and the battle scape has changed since I was there for 06 and 07. I'm sure Armystrong and Sideshow Downs had a different take based on their experiences.