Storing Gas Cans

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone keeps a spare gas can in the trunk of their car and if they have a trick to keep the smell of gas from spreading through the car. I have a new gas can that I am keeping in my car but everytime I get in the car it smells like gas. I have the can strapped upright in the trunk so I know it's not leaking out or anything. I was thinking about covering it with an old blanket or something like that to keep the smell down.

Any ideas?

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same experience with a plastic gallon container. Seemed like it could not handle the pressure changes due to changing temperatures. Trunks get really hot in the sun.

I don't keep gasoline in the trunk anymore due to safety concerns. It's better not to have it there if you get into an accident, especially if you get rear-ended.

If you want one to chase gasoline with in case you run out, I would go with a new container and keep it empty.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If the fumes are strong enough that you can smell them from the drivers seat then the smell should be the least of your concerns. I would worry about something causing a spark and you being featured on the 11 o'clock news.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't keep it in my truck except I'm living in an extended stay ATM and the choice is to keep it in the car or in the room. It's holding the gas from my bike till that gets fixed, then I will probably just keep it empty so if we do run out we can grab it and walk to the gas station rather than try to buy one there at top dollar.