Strange fueling problem

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 Naked.

It has this strange problem that sometimes at the lights, the idle goes really rough, and unless I hold the throttle on a wee bit, will cut out - and then restarts fine but the problem persists.

It also has a problem that sometimes when spending a fair bit of time (like 5-10mins) at a constant low speed (like 30mph) the power delivery is real jerky - on a constant throttle, like something is cutting in and out really really fast.

After a bit of open throttle, the idle is fine, and also the problem happens at normal running temperature.

I did read about a recall some time ago due to something that caused these problems, but I remember that the 04 wasnt affected?

Everything is standard except leovince ovals, and airbox mod.
Any feedback or info on this issue would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers,

Pete

Just went to check the TPS, got it into Diag mode, but when I press select all it does is alternate between 'diag' and 'Co' :confused:

I would guess that it is the TPS sensor...either it has gone bad, or some combo of throttle body sync-idle speed-and TPS voltage setting at idle. I would download the service manuals from this site and check these three conditions.

Maybe check that all of the vac lines are in good condition as well.

Just went to check the TPS, got it into Diag mode, but when I press select all it does is alternate between 'diag' and 'Co' :confused:

Try holding the buttons down for an extra 5 seconds.

Did that cheers, TPS reads 16 - 100 so all good.

Just did the Co mod, +20 +20, will see how it goes.

No real change on the way home, the problem still persists.

After about 15 minutes of city riding it kicks in, whenever I ease of the gas at all (like even just a fraction) the pipes let out a continuous burbling/crackling, yet if I close the throttle completely off, there is no crackling at all (unless in 1st gear)

Im a suspended driver at current, but have a work license. I use the Fazer for the commute once a week to keep it in use, and with my license situation im on uber good behavior, so wont even chance a quick squirt high in the revs.
Because of this, I do believe it to be plugs - the bike needs a good thrashing to clear them out!

Any other thoughts?

I don't know how it works down there but if you can go to a drag stip on a test and tune night I would . put some good fuel in it and make a couple passes on it really let it rip if you do think thats what the problem is that could be a quick fix or you could just change them but thats not as fun is it

Maybe I'm wrong (if so someone please correct me), - but did not Yamaha recall the TPS on the 04?
Did you get yours replaced?

Yup they did. Got mine replaced on my 04 free of charge! I know you checked it with 'diag mode', but I would call your dealer and get them to check you VIN #. heck, even if it hasn't been done, I would take it in and request the TPS repair due to the recall anyway, just to be sure.

So I could potentially get it done free of charge even though the warranty long expired?

awesome!

When you checked the TPS did you check to make sure the #'s inbetween were linear and did not skip any digits (by both slowly opening and closing the throttle)? Any skips in digits would be a faulty TPS....

When you checked the TPS did you check to make sure the #'s inbetween were linear and did not skip any digits (by both slowly opening and closing the throttle)? Any skips in digits would be a faulty TPS....

I did, but not purposefully, will do it tonight.
Will ring the yammy dealer I bought it from and ask them to do it :)

I checked the TPS as above, alll good.

Changed the plugs, put iridiums in. Old plugs were very oily!

changed the CO's to +24, and upped the idle a bit.

Runs smoother now, much quieter too. Wont know for sure til on the way home when its warmer outside, as thats when the problem tends to occur.

I will get my dealer to run the chassis number to check if the TPS was done, and coincidently, in the fault code history, there is a 15 there...

Back