Strange Oximiser behaviour

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I have my bike right outside my lounge window (no garage) so today i made an extension for my Oximiser 900. (so that the charger can stay inside but still be hooked up to the bike to keep the battery in good condition)

It worked perfectly to start with but after coming back to it an hour later i find it doing this:

Oximiser 900 fault? - YouTube

you see that when i turn off the charger and turn it back on it behaves normally for a good long while. It seems to hold steady voltage at 12.6 but i haven't been able to catch the moment it starts 'flicking' between voltage states.

could it be because its too cold outside or has my extension messed it up?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Lose connection at the lead on the bike. I had to buy a new one, about £5.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There may be a possibility that too long an extension has provided too much voltage drop at the battery and the resistance in the wire causes the line to look as if it is not closely coupled to the battery. The chargers today have a chip that will look at current vs voltage vs time and so it may see an error. Before you replace it return the wire to original length and see if the unit responds normally. It could even be RF interference because you've come up with a multiple wave length of a close interfering signal. :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Two votes for Extenda Cable **potentially** causing fault.

Batteries are current driven devices and sensing voltage over distance can lead to losses in both voltage and current delivered.
Now with modern chargers what they are, they send signals over the wires looking for specific responses to establish battery health. So, changing the quality of wire (cable) and its distance from the charger may have caused its unusual response.

Try to make it as original as possible and see how it does. Also, one typically wants the charger at the same temperature as the battery as some chargers use the ambient to calculate charge rates in addition to battery condition.