Suggestions about Boots?

+1 on the Alpinestars SMX-5s. I really wanted to go with the Sidis, but just couldn't get a good fit, regardless of the version. Good protection, good fit, good price.

My first day out with the A*'s ended up being nearly 13 hours in the boots (long day, long story) in 95 degree heat. Thought I'd be hating life by that point, but the boots felt great! The rest of me wasn't so good, but hey.

Try on a number of boots. Each manufacturer uses their own forms (lasts) for the boots, and sizing can be inconsistent.

Go with what feels right to you, but go with motorcycle boots. Work boots don't give you the protection needed, as others have noted

motorcycle superstore ususally has good deals. I would suggest trying a pair on localy though too, especially with sidis (unless you know for sure what your european foot size is)..

I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo's that are 4 years old now and recomend them to everyone. Im sure other manufactures of cycle boots are roughly the same, but what caught my eye when i did research originally was the one peice sole. Something about not being able to bend your foot makes for a really safe boot. Had someone tell me along time ago that if you brake bones in your foot (not ankle) you wont walk right ever again.. not sure how true that is, but a few hundred for boots is worth it to me.. just make sure you take good care of em and get some motorcycle boot conditioner and they will last for a long time :thumbup:

Motonation has a great selection of Sidi Boots. I am about to pull the trigger on a new set of boots, I've worn my BMW Transit Boots everyday for over three years and I now have a gigantic hole on the bottom of my soles.

Motonation Home Page

Another reason for a boot designed for riding is the sole design.
A lot of boots designed for other purposes can impede your ability to get your foot on or off the peg in a number of situations as well as protecting the ankle. A friend of mine who had a crash broke the peg with the casting on the rear-set and scored his ankle as it went past the broken casting on impact. He was lucky because the damage could have been worse.

I've also been using the SMX-5 boot and really like them. I have a wide foot and can wear these all day. They're so comfortable that I forget I have them on. I've been through 2 crashes with them.....:eek:

Motonation has a great selection of Sidi Boots. I am about to pull the trigger on a new set of boots, I've worn my BMW Transit Boots everyday for over three years and I now have a gigantic hole on the bottom of my soles.

Motonation Home Page

I checked out the Cobra Air. Great design and price!

What I remember of the advice given to me:

NEVER wear shoes/boots with laces on a bike
Steel capped boots are cold in winter
The soles of good bike boots are designed not to fold in the wrong way, ie: imagine pushing your toes to the floor and then half of your foot continuing for another 90°, or more... good boots make this impossible.

I've had Sidi Stivali Laguna Gore-tex for a year now (180 euros in France). Never cold, never too hot, and I can get off the bike and stroll around for hours without any bother.

Back