Suzuki GSXR 750 or 1000?

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

Have FZ6 now and thinking about buying GSXR (750 or 1000). How much they go for new? Is there a much difference in performance?

Zack

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About 11,500 USD for the GSX-1000 and approximately 10,500 USD for the GSX 750. I've been eying the 750 myself, but have lots to learn on my FZ6 first.

Anytime you change the engine size you will notice the difference in perfomance, MPG, and more importantly insurance costs. Good luck picking your new bike. Are you selling any parts from your FZ6?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HUGE difference in performance, but the comfort also drops through the floor. The GSXR series is a faster, more nimble race style bike. The FZ6 is more of an all around comfortable bike with great performance.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody, Yes we have one FZ6 (my son and I) and love it every bit. He however set his eyes on GSXR. For this season it is over but for next it might happen.
I already asked about insurance and it is quite a factor. For 750 they are asking about 2500 and for 1000 whole 4500 bucks! Crazy! I did ask only one (existing) insurer.
By the way, FZ6 is enough for me but that's me. Young people want more performance and better looks. If we go and buy it we'll bring it from States again. I think I would pay grand more for 1000.
We looked at them in sarasota, FL and noticed that new models have 3 way performance switch and other nice things. So you can start riding on low power setting and go higher later.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
i have said for a couple years now that my next bike would be a gsxr-750. i just don't see the need for a liter-bike. If your son is going to use that performance on the street, i would seriously question if he should be riding at all. if it's an issue of looking "cool" the 750 is pretty nice looking and plenty powerful.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
You are thinking like my wife. If it is up to her she would sell our FZ6 in a second. She easily forgets that we were riding bike for about 3 years, but about 30 years ago.
Anyway, I see your point.

Small edit, he just saw posts. He said would be perfectly happy with 750. He said that other people claim that 1000 is just too much, like way too fast.

Last edited:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
You are thinking like my wife. If it is up to her she would sell our FZ6 in a second. She easily forgets that we were riding bike for about 3 years, but about 30 years ago.
Anyway, I see your point.

That's probably because I am a wife, and hope to be a mother some day. I like my bike (SV650) and I like that reiobard and I share a lifestyle, but I also wouldn't want my kid to have the shiniest, fastest thing on two wheels just because "it's only another $1K". But, that's me and my opinion. I doubt I will ever give up riding and I know I will encourage my own children to ride safely and respectfully when I do have them and they are mature enough to handle the responsibility, but there is more to riding than cc's.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Keira, we actually spoke one evening when I was trying to reach reiobard to help with getting FZ6.
Anyway, I totally understand your point when talking speed and danger. I am pretty sure that much smaller bike, let alone FZ6 or GSXR750 can prove to be deadly enough. Trust me I keep repeating same things for months and years now. Ever since Igor got his driver's license he is driving Mazda 6. It is like:" ...be careful ... watch traffic lights, there are idiots running through red lights ... don't get cut off, specially on bike ..." and it goes on and on.

He will be 20 in 5 months. What you can hope as parent is that son/daughter will be mature enough and smart enough to handle situations that will challenge him almost every day in various places. Not only riding a bike.

OK, I am talking too much. I posted something in General. Take a look, advice needed.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
We did M1, M2 courses together this spring. Got licenses done in April and bike in May. Now he has about 4000 km (2400 miles) on odometer.

I have 7K on my FZ6 and that definitely does not make me ready for a 750cc+ race bike. I'm making myself ride the fizzer for at least one year before I get a faster bike. You gain the wisdom to stay alive on a slower bike that you will never learn if you die on a fast bike.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i wrote up a little review here about the '07 750 that i rode. it was my friends and we switched halfway through a ride. trust me when i tell you that the 750 has way more power in places that make it much easier to get into trouble. it can reach speeds so much faster that unless you are mature and can think logically in adrenaline filled situations, its not the bike for your son.

the fz6 gets up and goes but with the 750 (or 1000) it gets there before you have time to think about it. reaching a speed is one thing but how fast you reach it is why you can get in trouble with these machines. im not knocking it. i actually loved the bike and wanted to trade him for the week. but it stopped there. on the street you can't maximize the fun vs comfort vs usability. IMHO in the long run the fz6 will be better if you are putting more than 3000km year. and truthfully, i feel horrible for the guys that do that. but thats my opinion.

other than that, i would LOVE it as my second bike.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some measured specs from mcnews.com. All numbers are from their tests, not from the manufacturer's specs.

2006 FZ6
Rear Wheel Hp: 85.6
Rear Wheel Torque: 42.0 lb. ft.
Wet Weight: 464 lbs
Ave Fuel Mileage: 52.8 mpg
Top Speed: 141 mph
0-60mph: 3.65 sec
0-100mph: 9.05 sec
1/4 mile: 11.7 sec
Braking: 60-0: 115 ft
Power to Weight Ratio: 1:5.42

2007 GSX-R750
RW Hp: 118.9
RW Torque: 51.2 lb. ft.
Wet Weight: 437 lbs
Ave Fuel Mileage: 41.3 mpg
Top Speed: 174
0-60mph: 3.25
0-100mph: 6.50
1/4 mile: 10.6
Braking: 60-0: 119.2
Power to Weight Ratio: 1:3.68

2006 GSX-R1000
RW Hp: 147.3
RW Torque: 75.4 lb. ft.
Wet Weight: 439 lbs
Ave Fuel Mileage: 39.5 mpg
Top Speed: 178 mph
0-60mph: 2.35 sec
0-100mph: 4.96 sec
1/4 mile: 9.55 sec
Braking: 60-0: 115 ft
Power to Weight Ratio: 1:2.98

The things that stand out to me are the Power to Weight Ratio and the 0-100 times. The GSX-R1000 is a rocket pure and simple. One Two ... your at 60mph, Three Four Five and your at 100mph.

The fastest bike I've ridden is the FJR1300, and it pulled like a freight train riding 2-up. The GSX-R750 is faster.

John

And just for fun:
$1,000,000 McLaren F1 Road Car
0-60: 3.2sec
0-100: 6.3sec
1/4 mile: 11.1 sec

So the GSX-R750 is in the same league as one of the fastest production cars ever built, and the GSX-R1000 is quite a bit faster.:D

Last edited:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
We did M1, M2 courses together this spring. Got licenses done in April and bike in May. Now he has about 4000 km (2400 miles) on odometer.

oh didnt see this.

honestly, and im not saying it because it always happens but that is how you become a statistic. remember luc bourdon? same deal. really it could have happened to anyone but a 1000cc RR bike in the hands of an inexperienced rider means there is less room for error. 4000km isnt much and the stats show most accidents are in the second season of riding because the rider loses respect and is over confident.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were to get a new bike I think it would be a Suzuki SV1000S great low end performance and very cool looking all for 8700USD.
NV38088_1.jpg

Beautifullll......

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were to get a new bike I think it would be a Suzuki SV1000S great low end performance and very cool looking all for 8700USD.
NV38088_1.jpg

Beautifullll......

^^^ Saw a brand new one, '06, at the stealership yesterday for $6495. I really like that bike too. Don't see that many around.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
2400miles is nothing really. I'd make him do a few track days and get at least 15k miles on the fz6 before helping him get a bigger faster bike. Of course if he has the ability to buy it himself, then that's another story. The fz6 is alot more forgiving than a liter bike. If you don't have respect for a 600 than a 1k will eat you alive.

I

inkrediboy

Ok sorry I couldn't hold back anymore -

This should've been titled:

Yamaha R6 or the R1 :) - now that's one sexy beast, you know toit - toit like a tiger!!!!!