Swingarm bearings

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
As i read the other bearing thread, i would like to ask, did you ever change swingarm bearings.
I plan to change my S1 swingarm with an upgraded S2 one. I bought it from ebay Germany with 40k km on but looks perfect.
Checked bearings with hand, and they look ok to me. Meantime i have already bought the new swingarm bearings before. They ara needle bearings.

Shall i go with the existing bearings or put the new ones, it doesn't look easy to change them.

salincak.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
JM2C - if the inner race looks good and is scar free I'd clean the needle bearings with acetone (very flammable and hard on paint), pack the bearings with water proof grease and assemble it.

This area can use the high pressure, low speed, waterproof stuff. Its not a spinning high speed bearing.

Use your thumb to press blobs of grease into the bearing forcing it in oneside and out the edge around 360°.

I'm saying, don't just smear it on and throw it together. Pack and press it into the needles.

Make sense?
You could put a grease fitting on there too and fill the whole cavity. Not sure if its worth the effort tho.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Only if you use something else to remove it when done. Once the bulk of it evaporates it leaves a film which would breakdown new grease degrading it.

Tape off immediate area and spray with MAF sensor cleaner. It will take the remaining residue away and it evaporates very fast leaving nothing behind.

Also good for those who somehow fouled spark plugs and need them cleaned.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not positive but the black used on the S2 chassis may be powder coating and is baked on. Very durable finish whatever it is.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Colorite sells the exact paint codes for our bikes, ie, likely painted...

Something to consider re bearings:
The S2 manual (page 4-60), allows up to .039" or 1 mm play, back and forth between the axle and swing-arm.
IE, if sloppy, replace the bearings...

It also calls for Kerosene for cleaning. Additional cleaning can't hurt...

Last edited: