Switching from a cruiser

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello folks,

I'm new here, and new to a standard. I just swapped my 98 Aero 1100 for an 06 FZ6. I'd appreciate a few tips about fundamentals I'll need to heed as I switch from a slug cruiser to this. Any pointers about RPMs, braking, cornering, etc woud be appreciated. I'll be on my first real ride tomorrow.

Looks like a great forum here. I've been on IntruderAlert for years now. Do you guys get into political battles during the winter?

Joe

Just take it easy at first. You have to be smoother on a sportbike than on a cruiser in my experience. Things actually happen when you twist the throttle and squeeze the brakes when riding an FZ6. I'm sure others will say much more...

600riders.com has a subforum called underground politics...go check it out.

the best thing that you can do for the switch over is to read "Twist of the Wrist" it will give you a very good understanding of the fundamentals while providing a good read at the same time.

as for the political battles during the winter? since we are a worldwide forum, it is always summer somewhere :).

Congratulations and good luck tomorrow. I don't think you'll regret it or ever look back. The Fazer is very quick and excitement is just a twist of the wrist away. They're quick, fast, smooth, quick, comfortable, good-looking, quick, econimical, (to buy, insure, fill-up), and comfortable! Enjoy, (but respect it)! No sudden changes in velocity in tight turns, (at least at first)! DefyInertia pretty well says it all.

Last edited:
i too came from a "cruiser" type bike. the fz6 is pretty easy to adjust to. to be honest, the bike will ride pretty tame and very cruiser-esque below the 6-8k range. i'd say until you get used to it to stay around that range. but when you have a pretty good feel for it go ahead and open it up. it's quite fun. :D

I did the same thing this past April. I Sold my Vulcan 800 and bought my FZ6. After a full season I can tell you a few things I found different.

The FZ accelerates and brakes much quicker, you have to respect that or you'll find youself on your ass. I did both, grabbed too much front brake at low speed and went down. I also twisted a little too much throttle in some sand and went down. In 5 years on my Vulcan I never went down.

The FZ is lighter than your crusier and you sit higher up. This will make you more suceptable to wind gusts and truck blasts especailly on the highway. Be aware of it.

The FZ is FUN!!! on roads that you used to "cruise" down, suddenly you're looking for the apex of turns and looking down at the tach as you accelerate down the straights, 6-7-8-9 WOWWWWW!!!!! You"ll find yourself riding with a big grin on our face.

If you're over 50yo (like I am) people look at you funny when you get off your FZ, sort of WTF and Right ON!! Never happened on the Vulcan.

Like others have said the FZ is a very versatile bike. It's realtively( and I mean realatively to a full on sport bike) docile under 6K, I put on soft bags and a GPS and made it a sport tourer. Ask it to do and it will do.

The only real disadvantage compared to my Vulcan is long highway riding. I just don't feel as comfortable on the FZ as I did on the Vulcan doing hour plus rides on the highway. So for the times I need to do this type of riding I may need to pick up a used cruiser, with a windshield and bags.

So enjoy yourself.

:welcome::welcome:

You will get hours of enjoyment riding your FZ6. There is a lot of information on this forum and a million things you could do to mod your bike. Please ride safe and respect your new toy. :thumbup:

:welcome: to "The Forum!" Joe

This is a fun place with lots of great knowledge and people. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

Sounds like you should have no problem adjusting. The FZ6 will change it's personality when you get it in it power band or happy place. It will impress you when you start to play on it and it will command respect. It's such a great bike to push in different directions as toward touring, sport riding or anywhere in between.

Again Welcome! :D

Welcome to the forum!
You made an awesome choice of bike, as others have said the FZ6 if a very versatile bike, and you really can't go wrong!
Take it easy for your first few hundred miles till you get used to the bike, its very docile below 8k revs, but has alot of spirit past that point.
I also find mine a bit on/off on the throttle, so you need to ride smooth, not just rely on the engine, particularly past that 7-8k point.
If you tour or do long rides, a gel seat or airhawk is the way to go. If you do normal stops (every two hours - walking around) you can literally just ride forever. But if you try doing 7-8 hours without any proper stops nothing will save you (take it from me!)

Probably also watch out cornering to start off with too, lots of power if you are revving too high in first, can be a bit nerve wrecking till your used to it.

Firstly :welcome: Joe , you have found the best forum on the net and you are buying the 2nd best bike on the planet :eek: :scared:....

FZ6 is a great step up into the world of sports tourers , she is fairly tame if you want her to be and she will scare the crap out of litre sporties if you want her too :D... Give yourself time to settle into the new ride and you will love the upright in control riding position , she handles like a charm , really light and nimble , brakes are fantastic IMO and im a heavy bloke who gave them some punishment and was never left wanting.... They really are a fairly easy to ride all rounder that turns into a weapon above 8000rpm , give it a go when you get her settled , i know your gunna be smiling from ear to ear , we all do :D

As for politics , unless your surname is Biden there is far to much riding to be done :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips and kind words. I just got home from work and my drizzly commute. The riding position is very comfortable. I feel light on my arms and butt. The acceleration from 75 mph in 56th gear seems fine. Better than fine. The wind on me was very tolerable with no parachute effect, and the fairing kept the mild drizzle off me pretty well. I think this is the right move for me and look forward to getting to know the bike, especially the on/off nature of the throttle.

Joe

56th gear has always been a clunker for me.

It's good to have another teacher on the forums. My students always ask me why I didn't ride to class when I have to drive the car.

I meant 6th. :banghead:

Whadya teach? Seventh grade English for me. I am so needing this long weekend.

Joe

56th gear has always been a clunker for me.

It's good to have another teacher on the forums. My students always ask me why I didn't ride to class when I have to drive the car.

I'm finishing 7th grade US Government now and I'll be moving into 11th grade American History this spring. Looks like I'll spend my Christmas vacation writing new lesson plans.

I meant 6th. :banghead:

Whadya teach? Seventh grade English for me. I am so needing this long weekend.

Joe

Yeah, in true commuting mode it accelerates nicely from 75 in sixth, put in down in third though and you look like this:BLAA:

Have fun

I went from a standard (CB750) to a Cruiser (Shadow 1100VT) back to a standard, my current FZ6.

Stay off the back break. :) While riding the Shadow, I developed a couple bad habbit, one of which was over use of the rear break. Yes, you should always use both and modulate them properly but if you have the 'rear break in a slow stop' habbit that many cruiser riders develop, stop using the rear break all togeather until you are used to the front being your primary stopping tool. It is very easy to slide the rear out from under you. Been there done that.

Keep the rev's down for a while until you get used to the rest of the bikes handeling. She is almost two two two bikes in one. Below 4000 RPM she is docile, above 5,000 RPM she is a beast.

Read [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1933958359/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259178636&sr=8-1]Proficient Motorcycling[/ame] it will help you out with cornering techniques and make you aware of many road hazards before you encounter them in real life.

I think this is the right move for me and look forward to getting to know the bike, especially the on/off nature of the throttle.

Joe

A lot of overcoming that on/off feeling is getting more comfortable with the clutch. Work on finding the friction zone and slipping it a bit as you take off. I read a couple posts where people were complaining about it. I didn't see it on my bike. But then I let a friend borrow it and he complained about it. So it is the same as others. I was taught to use the friction zone when I learned to ride so it was second nature for me.

Welcome and smart move!

The little Fizzer is a great jack of all trades bike.

Back