T-Rex Sliders Don't Fit Correctly?

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there are various opinions about frame sliders. I'm in the "hope they help if I get in a jam" camp. I just bolted on a set of T-Rex sliders, specifically sold for the 2007 FZ6 S2. Have to say, they appear to be a very well made product for the price paid. However, after the installation, I'm somewhat disappointed with how they fit the bike. On the left side, the rear of the engine mount is angled "away" from the side of the bike (the front edge of the engine mount sticks out farther from the centerline of the bike than the rear edge). On the "brakes" side of the bike, the engine mount "angle" is less pronounced but still visible. I didn't notice that the engine mounts where you mount the sliders were not flat (parallel to the centerline) until I mounted the frame sliders. The left (or clutch side) slider has a significant gap between the rear edge of the slider and the engine mount, even though the front side of the slider is tight against the front of the engine mount. My thought is that in the event of a good hard slide, this "gap" would permit the roadway to exert a lot of very unfavorable leverage against the engine mount, and that the "gap" would actually help the slider bend the frame mounts. I'm really tempted to pull off the frame sliders and "shave" them at an angle which matches the engine mounts - but I'd be concerned that the bolts may then be too long. Anyone else notice this potential problem?

- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there are various opinions about frame sliders. I'm in the "hope they help if I get in a jam" camp. I just bolted on a set of T-Rex sliders, specifically sold for the 2007 FZ6 S2. Have to say, they appear to be a very well made product for the price paid. However, after the installation, I'm somewhat disappointed with how they fit the bike. On the left side, the rear of the engine mount is angled "away" from the side of the bike (the front edge of the engine mount sticks out farther from the centerline of the bike than the rear edge). On the "brakes" side of the bike, the engine mount "angle" is less pronounced but still visible. I didn't notice that the engine mounts where you mount the sliders were not flat (parallel to the centerline) until I mounted the frame sliders. The left (or clutch side) slider has a significant gap between the rear edge of the slider and the engine mount, even though the front side of the slider is tight against the front of the engine mount. My thought is that in the event of a good hard slide, this "gap" would permit the roadway to exert a lot of very unfavorable leverage against the engine mount, and that the "gap" would actually help the slider bend the frame mounts. I'm really tempted to pull off the frame sliders and "shave" them at an angle which matches the engine mounts - but I'd be concerned that the bolts may then be too long. Anyone else notice this potential problem?

- - - Jim

Your right! I didn't noticed until you mentioned it. I email T-rex this morning..

Here are the pics

943765_10201063673575003_1746441754_n.jpg

580217_10201066137516600_1118041738_n.jpg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I see what you're talking about. I already went down once on the left side and the T-Rex slider bolt bent quite a bit (but frame didn't crack, etc.). I suppose you have a point but I imagine that all manufacturers don't account for that issue?

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site

- - - Jim

Here is what T-rex replied.. It does make a little sense.. The less contact the slider has with the frame the better I think!

Dear Jon,

Its best that it do this since you have a small amount of slack between the puck and the frame. If you are to go down the puck can take the impact away from the frame somewhat due to the gap.

Thanks, Oscar..

- t-rexstands

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your help Jon. I'm gonna keep them on, hoping they'll help the situation when/if I need them, rather than make it worse.
- - - Jim