Team Oregon Wins MSF Lawsuit

Never heard of that lawsuit before. Quick summary: Oregon State University has a motorcycle safety class outside of the MSF curriculum. MSF sued them for copyright infringement, claiming that the training material was copyrighted by MSF. Ultimately, MSF dismissed their claim, allowing OSU's program to go forward with their own cirriculum.

It's all somewhat arcane and legalistic, and makes you wonder if the MSF is about motorcycle safety or lawyer's fees. But the interesting question is why OSU felt that they needed a different cirriculum than what MSF teaches. OSU references "unique Oregon rider's needs."

For our OR members, I'd be interested to hear if you are aware of what the differences are. Hard to imagine OR riders have different needs than any other states'.

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad. Refusing to approve the MSF curriculum for a waiver of motorcycle license testing might send other states to follow. I can only think of what each state would come up with in creating their own course curriculum - nothing would be standard.

Another issue; What is Oregon State University's relationship with Oregon's Department of Transportation in regards to D.O.T. policy matters... because of sponsorship? I'll bet its over funneling money away from MSF to the state. Could that not in itself, not copyright, warrant a lawsuit towards Oregon's D.O.T.?

Also, how could you not incorporate MSF materials. I guess they are talking about printed material. But, just so I understand this correctly, Oregon State University [TEAM OREGON] spent 40 years of taxpayers money to research and develop their own curriculum against another [MSF] that seems to be suffice for other states.

I wonder if Oregon then should accept other states endorsements if a person would move to that state? Do they care if you went through another states MSF to obtain a license? Do others see this as being silly or is it just me? The D.O.T. should in my opinion accept both.

Good for Team Oregon!
It is a much better training than MSF who has been dumbing down thier program in recent years. From what I have read in other motorcycle mags. MSF is getting pushy with other training groups. It's big money, cost me $150 for California mandatory training for my son or anyone under 21. Not that that's a bad thing but MSF IS owned by the manufactures.
Just do not like to see a monopoly on training.

As a Team Oregon grad, I can tell you what our instructors claimed the difference was. Team Oregon focuses on corners, corners, corners far more than the MSF curriculum. We covered all the basics, of course, but something like 80% of the riding time in Team Oregon is practicing safe cornering. I'm friends with an instructor, and I'll get her take on the difference when I next see her.

Back