That's a First

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
So this is the first ride of the season for me. I brought the bike down to Florida while I'm on vacation. While on my ride decided to accelerate full throttle from a red light. Speed limit was 55mph. As the bike started to accelerate and the rpms started to rise past 10,000 rpm I started to feel the front tire rise. I first thought it was just the suspension and that the tire was still planted but realized that after I made the shift at around 13,000 rpms I felt the tire touch the pavement. So the bike managed to put the front tire up at around 50mph and held it until the shift at about 65mph. This wasn't something I was trying by shifting my weight back, just rose up on it's on. I had the bike for about a year and a half and have never raised the front like this. I actually thought the bike wasn't capable of a unintentional wheelie at speed. Maybe it's the low Florida altitude that helps the motor produce a few more HP.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
same thing happened to me the other day, although it was really my first ride with the bike...i bought it in December and the weather last week tuesday was fantastic! 40 degrees and sunny!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
same thing happened to me the other day, although it was really my first ride with the bike...i bought it in December and the weather last week tuesday was fantastic! 40 degrees and sunny!

only because im in the Harrisburg area do i understand the legitimacy of that statement. its normally 15º, overcast, and windy as hell here. its kinda funny really, ill be going home for SB in a week and a half and all i wanna do is ride my bike, but the old man will say "its too cold/windy" and legitimately ill be thinking "ITS SO NICE OUT!!"

oh, and to the OP, what gear did you do this in? ive done it but only at WOT between 1st & 2nd and again between 2nd & 3rd when powershifting.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also known as a power wheelie. In certain jurisdictions, if law enforcement sees your front tires lift off the ground intentional or not, it's considered reckless riding. $$$$

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
only because im in the Harrisburg area do i understand the legitimacy of that statement. its normally 15º, overcast, and windy as hell here. its kinda funny really, ill be going home for SB in a week and a half and all i wanna do is ride my bike, but the old man will say "its too cold/windy" and legitimately ill be thinking "ITS SO NICE OUT!!"

oh, and to the OP, what gear did you do this in? ive done it but only at WOT between 1st & 2nd and again between 2nd & 3rd when powershifting.

First gear, didn't think the bike had the power to lift the tire at that speed. Nice surprise.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
With the stock gearing, the front tire will come up if you wind out first gear at full throttle. Lean forward to avoid it. With my 17T sprocket, the front end gets very light but does not come off the ground unless I am leaning back and gunning it in first. Never gotten a 2nd gear power wheelie though...

cmyers

Reaction score
Visit site
So this is the first ride of the season for me. I brought the bike down to Florida while I'm on vacation. While on my ride decided to accelerate full throttle from a red light. Speed limit was 55mph. As the bike started to accelerate and the rpms started to rise past 10,000 rpm I started to feel the front tire rise. I first thought it was just the suspension and that the tire was still planted but realized that after I made the shift at around 13,000 rpms I felt the tire touch the pavement. So the bike managed to put the front tire up at around 50mph and held it until the shift at about 65mph. This wasn't something I was trying by shifting my weight back, just rose up on it's on. I had the bike for about a year and a half and have never raised the front like this. I actually thought the bike wasn't capable of a unintentional wheelie at speed. Maybe it's the low Florida altitude that helps the motor produce a few more HP.

I know you wont be here long, but here in Florida if the front tire leaves the ground for any reason it is an immediate $1000 fine.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I know you wont be here long, but here in Florida if the front tire leaves the ground for any reason it is an immediate $1000 fine.

Thanks for the warning. It was totally unintentional and won't be happening again. I didn't even realized it had happened because the tire must have only been off the ground a few inches.

Just curious but how do you change the front tire? :D

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
With the stock gearing, the front tire will come up if you wind out first gear at full throttle. Lean forward to avoid it. With my 17T sprocket, the front end gets very light but does not come off the ground unless I am leaning back and gunning it in first. Never gotten a 2nd gear power wheelie though...

I did i whacking WOT while getting onto the interstate one holiday afternoon. we have a really long onramp that i like to hammer it on, occasionally. the tire was probably about an inch or less off the road, so unless a cop had his nose to the ground there'd be no way to tell. Its too bad the FZ doesn't have more torque down low, but it gives us an excuse to click down and hit that screamer zone.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site

are you in university or college in Harrisburg then? You're profile says Nashville...

I'm in the northwest suburbs of Philly